Sharing iTunes network over network w/Win and Mac machines - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-07-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I was hoping someone could lend some assistance on an ongoing iTunes sharing/networking issue that has me stumped. I have a Windows machine that I'd like to use as a home media server, and a new MacBook Pro. The Macbook has limited hard drive space so I'd like to put my 30 GB iTunes library on a 1 TB external drive plugged into the Windows Media Server.

The thing is, the laptop physically is in a not easily to use place, so I'm accessing everything through the Macbook only. I can share the library no problem and play everything from the Mac, but adding music, editing songs and anything else you would do outside of just playing music, is not possible through the mac since I'm just looking at a shared library and iTunes does not allow you to do any type of editing whatsoever.

I've read in a few places that if I open up the library in iTunes on my Mac to be the shared .itl file, that the MacBook iTunes will treat that as the home library, but it does not work, it treats it again as a shared only library that prevents me from doing the editing and other things I've mentioned.

So my question is, would anyone know how I can use a remote Macbook to look at a shared network drive, and treat it as it's home library to enable full editing and other capabilities, like it was on a local drive?

Hope this makes sense and thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-08-2013, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Share out a folder on Windows, copy your iTunes library over to that and then go into iTunes preferences and change the library location to that shared folder.

Treating a network location like a local drive is also possible but it requires using iSCSI which OSX does not natively support, you'd have to use third party clients and setting up iSCSI targets is not something for beginners.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-08-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned I that I already am doing your first suggestion. I have the external that's plugged into the Windows machine a shared Z: drive through my network, and made sure it has read/write access. So I have my entire library in the shared iTunes folder on the network drive, and the iTunes library location is pointing to that folder on the Mac. For some reason it's still treating it as only a shared home network library though that prevents me from the editing/adding/etc functions.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
From OSX did you login with the same admin account as the Win PC uses to login with ?

You could try creating a new iTunes library hold option while starting iTunes then point it at a new folder on the USB drive and see if the pattern repeats, if it does then it's something to do with combination you have (perhaps some sort of permissions issue).

One other thing you could try is set up a NFS service on the Win PC, download FreeNFS onto it and configure it to share out USB folder but Apple since 10.8 have removed the ability to mount NFS shares via the GUI. You'd need to use command line or NFS manager to mount the network share in OSX.

The easiest thing to do go buy a Synology DS112J and stick your USB drive into that (it will format the drive so back up), that will give you a proper NAS and iTunes library location definitely works with those.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Synology Ds112j 1 Bay Nas Server For Home Users
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page