Any other better solution out there then western digital? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My current setup is western digital live hub and I have other western digital stand alone players in my house. I have everything hooked up to ethernet so no wireless system. I have tried mostly all media servers boxee box, apple tv etc..and found western digital to be the best as far as playback goes.

Only thing I don't like about western digital is their is no way to manage the movies or tv shows. I am unable to keep things separate. Like lets say how can I keep my home movies, tv shows and movies in separate folders how could I manage that? If I have multiple locations of the files there is just no way to do that.

I have used plex and I really like it but streaming a 20-30gb file plex really just wont work. I haven't had any issues with western digital it plays just fine but I would like a better way to manage my files. Does anyone have any recommendations? Would a home theater pc be my best bet? I have a rack downstairs that has all my equipment on so I do have room for a htpc. Let me know your recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 332
You will have to explain your server setup. I use WD Lives also. I have DVD rips of TV shows stored on my server in folders for each series and subfolders for each season. I access them through network shares and just drill into a folder of choice for the content.

Are you using Windows Shares or DLNA (Media Server) to access your content.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 8 Old 07-09-2013, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
TO narrow your search, are you looking to have all the social networking services and online channels that WDTV Live provides, with another media player? What kind of media do you have? 2D? 3D? TV Shows? Music?

Among the few brands of media players off the top of my head, I would suggest these...

1. Dune-HD TV-303D / Dune Base 3D.

2. MEDE8ER MED1000X3D / MED600X3D.

3. Popcorn Hour A-400.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I too have a number of folders on several different drives and my Wd sees EACH folder separately. I have folders for TV shows with sub-folders in them and Movies are in several different folders. I only use network shares I will not touch anything that smells of DNLA, perhaps that is your problem.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-10-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

I only use network shares I will not touch anything that smells of DNLA, perhaps that is your problem.
I use both -- Windows shares for DVD rips and HDTV captures and DLNA for BD rips. The biggest problem with DLNA is not the protocol but rather the very poor implementations of DLNA clients and servers. These are what give DLNA a bad rap. The DLNA client on the WD Live-SMP is quite good in my experience and when coupled with a first-rate DLNA server like Mezzmo, the whole DLNA experience is very good.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 8 Old 07-10-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I use both -- Windows shares for DVD rips and HDTV captures and DLNA for BD rips. The biggest problem with DLNA is not the protocol but rather the very poor implementations of DLNA clients and servers. These are what give DLNA a bad rap. The DLNA client on the WD Live-SMP is quite good in my experience and when coupled with a first-rate DLNA server like Mezzmo, the whole DLNA experience is very good.

If I may ask, why? What does DNLA offer? The only reason I can see for using it would be with a tablet or phone that might not support shares. I rip my BD movies to MKV and they reside in a folder just as all my other streaming content does.

I used Mezzmo for years and other DLNA servers and they are OK for what they are but I've long ago moved on from trying to get hobbled stuff in my TV and BD player to work as desired. I have no desire to feed my tablets and phones with movies so as in my original post I have little if any use for DNLA unless I'm missing something.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

If I may ask, why?
Hi Matt, very simple answer -- the network feed from my server farm to the family room is via Powerline adapters. The circuit goes cross-pole in the breaker box so the speed of the link is on the ragged edge of what I need to stream high bitrate BD rips over Windows Shares -- many stutter or lose audio. DLNA is a much lower overhead protocol and allows me to flawlessly stream every BD rip I have. The WD DLNA client works without issue and Mezzmo is the best DLNA server app I've ever used -- lots of ways to uniformly organize content that is spanned over multiple disks.

So the primary thing DLNA offers me over Win Shares is the ability to play all my BD rips. On top of that, Mezzmo lets me aggregate the BD content across a farm of individual drives on different servers into sorted catalogs. Can't do that with just Win Shares unless the media player has advanced jukebox capability. And if you have multiple players of different brands/models you are stuck having to setup and maintain each one. With Mezzmo, it is all on the main server and any decent DLNA client will see the same interface.

As I said initially, what gives DLNA a bad rap is the poor quality of many of the free servers and the garbage DLNA clients they put on BD players, game consoles and smart TV's. If you have a good server and a good client, DLNA is pretty impressive.

- kelson h

post #8 of 8 Old 07-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonline View Post

My current setup is western digital live hub and I have other western digital stand alone players in my house. I have everything hooked up to ethernet so no wireless system. I have tried mostly all media servers boxee box, apple tv etc..and found western digital to be the best as far as playback goes.

Only thing I don't like about western digital is their is no way to manage the movies or tv shows. I am unable to keep things separate. Like lets say how can I keep my home movies, tv shows and movies in separate folders how could I manage that? If I have multiple locations of the files there is just no way to do that.

I have used plex and I really like it but streaming a 20-30gb file plex really just wont work. I haven't had any issues with western digital it plays just fine but I would like a better way to manage my files. Does anyone have any recommendations? Would a home theater pc be my best bet? I have a rack downstairs that has all my equipment on so I do have room for a htpc. Let me know your recommendations?

You might want to give Serviio a try on your server, like Plex Serviio has a content scraper so using the DLNA database it can organize content into by TV show series and so forth even if spread across multiple folders/volumes. The only way to do this through network shares would be via messy and complex symlinks.

You can configure the look of Serviio as well to remove unwanted entries that appear when browsing from the WDTV. Serviio isn't as CPU intensive as Plex is either.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player , The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player , Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player , Popcorn Hour A 400 Network Media Jukebox , Dune Hd Tv303d Wifi 3d Streamer
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page