My new streamer requirements: what are my options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-09-2013, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here is what I'm looking for in my streamer.

Must Haves:
  • Must have good jukebox/movie wall capability - this can run server side if it has to
  • Must also handle files from multiple sources well (as the Boxee Box does). I have several separate external HDDs with my content
  • Must play HD audio formats
  • Must play 3D content
  • More generally, it also must handle most video formats, and have great picture quality

Bonus Features - Not necessary but nice:
  • Netflix
  • Hulu
  • Amazon

What players can handle this? Feel free to include HTPCs or other boxes (like the Pivos or Ouya) running XBMC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-10-2013, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
i'm in the same boat here - although i need a nice TV show jukebox as well as movies and don't need 3D currently.
from my research it looks like i'm leaning towards a dune TV303D with zappiti or the zappiti mini.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
HTPC only option if you want XBMC.

HD audio not supported on Android boxes & that goes for xios linux-xbmc firmware too though thats a tech/software block but it's a low priority so maybe one day the the xios will get it but not any-time soon that's for sure.

The only set top boxes that do HD audio pass-through are the PCH/Dune/Mede8er etc ones.

I'd lean towards the PCH-A400 given what your looking for, it ticks most of those boxes.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So a full-fledged HTPC box with XBMC can handle HD audio? Just not the linux/openelec XBMC builds out there? I've been eyeing one of those Intel NUC boxes as a possible solution for me.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-10-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

So a full-fledged HTPC box with XBMC can handle HD audio? Just not the linux/openelec XBMC builds out there? I've been eyeing one of those Intel NUC boxes as a possible solution for me.

I'm eyeing a new Haswell NUC for an XBMC/Plex box too. Just beware, there is a bug in the intel integrated graphics firmware that is causing rendering issues with XBMC. It has been around for several months without an updated fix. If you buy a 3xxx NUC, then you can roll back to an earlier driver, but that isn't an option right now for the 4xxx series Haswell chips (Haswell NUCs aren't available yet, so this isn't an issue now, but I hope they fix it soon).
post #6 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
The best 3D media player at the moment is the Mede8er. The only downside is its jukebox. You require two different programs one for movies and another for TV Shows.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #7 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 03:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
for me A-400, the built in Jukebox is all i need and works perfect for me, no external Tools needed, if you don't like the build in Jukebox you have a lot of options (Yamj, Oversight,.......), they released some weeks ago also a plex client which works pretty awesome.
Picture quality is Top compared to other mediaplayers, the only thing you won't get are your Bonus Features.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have no need for a TV show specific jukebox. I don't really have many TV shows I watch on my streamer. The "bonus" features are really kind of pointless, I'd just continue using my Xbox or PS3 for those anyhow. So it's sounding like either the Mede8er or the A-400 would do the trick. I don't need internal storage, so would probably be fine with the Mede8er 600XD.
L33TX43RT likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-12-2013, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

I do believe the Nuc with Openelec can do HD audio. I have seen my Denon receiver say DTS-HD several times.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player , Dune Hd Tv303d Wifi 3d Streamer , Popcorn Hour A 400 Network Media Jukebox , Mede8er Med500x2 High Definition Multimedia Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page