WD My Book Live Duo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-10-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for some extra storage for playing back ripped movies and music. It says it has an iTunes server installed already which is exactly what I need because my movies are encoded to play through iTunes on ATV3. I'm also interested in their app so I can access my media when not at home. I'm kinda looking at the 6 TB.
Reviews are a little mixed so I'm just wondering what you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
It's not iTunes it's a borderline scam.

The "iTunes server" present on the NAS is the Firefly media server that was once used in conjunction with the old desktop versions of iTunes several years ago, development ceased a long time ago but as Homesharing replaced the old system and Homesharing cant be replicated NAS makers still stick this iTunes server on it when it's really nothing of the sort. Firefly media server does not work with iOS devices either.

What you can do however is use the DLNA server on the My Book, get a DLNA client/controller for your iPhone/iPad (like Skifta or Media Link Player) to access the DLNA media listings then Airplay the video to the AppleTV, it's not pretty but it works.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-11-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well that's good to know. I would really like something that runs an iTunes server as I just run it off our iMac right now and iTunes usually gets closed with everything else when someone leaves the computer. WD just seemed like a fairly cheep plug and play way to go. I may look into a 2 bay synology or something like that then. I guess you can't always go by the reviews online.
Thanks.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The only true iTunes server is a Mac or PC running iTunes and iTunes running on Windows is not particularly reliable.

Buy a second hand Mac Mini and get a cheap USB DAS or expensive one like Drobo and use that as iTunes server.

The Synology is no different, it's the exact same as WD when it comes to iTunes as they are all linux based NAS.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Mac Mini Mc270ll A Desktop
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page