Media Server + Onkyo TX-SR805 - How to stream to the receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello friends.

I'm building a media server to store my pics, movies and audio files. I want to be able to access/stream the stored content from/to several devices around my house (tablets, phones, laptops, PS3 and TVs) and I'm planning to do so by using any of the server software available (linux based plex, XBMC, pms, serviio, universal media server...). I think I have the streaming side covered: the server has an AMD A10-6700, 8GB RAM, 4 HDDs in RAID 10. It should be enough to transcode all the media stored to the different devices.

The issue I can't get solved is this: how can I stream HD audio/video to my Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver? I want to enjoy 7.1 audio (and of course Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD). My Onkyo receiver does not have any networking capabilities built in (it's a somewhat old model and I can't afford a new one right now), so I think that, unless I connect the server directly to the receiver (and stream through HDMI), I'll have to consider a HD media player and have it send the HD audio to the Onkyo. (I must point out that I don't know if I could connect the server to the receiver via HDMI since they're on different floors and, even if I can do it, will I have to run some sort of front-end media player on the server, turning it into a HTPC? How could I control it without having to use kb+mouse all the time? (Sure, I must use them for admin tasks, I don't want to carry a laptop all the time in the room) Maybe an Android App? Plex and XBMC comes to my mind since they have such apps.

About a media player: I was thinking about using something like a Roku to stream the content from the server to the receiver, but since it doesn't support HD audio it's useless for me. I was reading about the Mede8er MED600X3D and the KDLINKS HD700 but I don't know if those devices work with any of the server software...

Well, that's it. I hope I explained my doubts clearly. Any assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Something like a Dune player, Mede8er or PCH would probably be your best bet. To my knowledge they can all play media from a network share and are compatible with a ton of media formats and codecs as well as bitstream the audio to your receiver. So you wouldn't necessarily need a backend software solution but rather just a network shareable location to store the files. I'm pretty sure the KDLinks boxes can bitstream audio as well. I don't have any personal experience with those devices though so I honestly couldn't tell you what the major drawback of the KDLinks would be other than the interface. The other option would be a full HTPC build and that opens up a world of other options.
experi likes this.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #3 of 4 Old 07-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
I should add... If you search through this section of the forum there are dedicated threads to most of those players and you can get great information on each one of them. Except for maybe the KDLinks. I've always had trouble finding solid info on that player.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #4 of 4 Old 08-17-2013, 11:32 AM

Liked: 10
I use a Neo 550 Media server which can stream from a network has most of the video and audio formats including DD HD 7.1 and DTS HD 7.1, etc. About the only common video format it does not play is Flv. It is a discontinued model so price is down from $199 to about $85 or less. It can also play movie ISOs complete with menus just like it was being played from a BR Disc Player.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page