HTPC & Media Server help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-10-2013, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

When it comes to this I am fairly new, so any help would be appreciated.

My questions are:

1. would I benefit from having a HTPC and streaming media server?
2. If I would benefit, what sort of HTPC and streaming media server would I be looking at
3. How would they all be connected through my home network etc?
4. What sort of software will I be running?

My current situation:

I have my gaming PC which is connected to my router (technicolor TG582N), which I use to back-up my DVDs/ Blu-Ray’s etc. which I then save onto the HDDs. I have my PS3 also connected to my router. I would then use my PS3 to playback the content onto my TV and the software on my gaming PC is PS3 Media Server which is handling the transcoding etc.

My audio is done via a Yamaha AV-Receiver (RX-v595) which is connected to the TV (Panasonic Viera - bought within last 1.5 years think its a 50" or 60" TV).

Ideally I would like to not keep using my gaming PC for this, and would prefer to have some sort of system setup whereby I can have my movies backed up on a ‘server’ as such, and I can then view them on my TV (24/7 or basically on demand whenever need be). The video format is mainly in 720p and 1080p – and I have found that the PS3 does upscale some older quality content.

What are my current options as per my questions outlined above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Not really sure if I can answer your questions directly but I'll share what I've got setup. I have 3 (sometimes 4) TVs that I stream video/music/photos to as well as several tablets and smartphones. Since I wanted to be able to access that content when away from my home I ended up with Plex Media Server as the software solution for my server. With that I can stream to my mobile devices via the Plex app and Roku's in remote locations as well as local. My TVs at home use a combination of HTPCs (Plex Home Theater), Rokus (Plex Client) and a PS3 (DLNA). My server is a i5-3570k machine with 16GB of RAM and a bunch of storage running Windows 7. I use it for a lot more than Plex though. Plex can run on a NAS device and unRAID servers... there are a lot of options.

edit: Forgot to mention that I have a mix of Gigabit Ethernet and Wireless N, as well as a HDHomeRun Prime that provides live TV and use WMC as my DVR which I use VideoReDo to remux and cut commercials.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page