Can a 3tb external drive work on WD TV Live Streaming Media Player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just brought a 3Tb WD external drive and tried to connect to our WD media player but would not read the video files. tried to update as it was an older media player but still didnt work. We currently use a 2Tb drive and it works fine. We then went and brought a new WD TV Live Streaming Media Player but the 3Tb external drives dont work on that either anyone got any ideas what the issue might be also has anyone used a 3Tb on the WD media player we use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-12-2013, 03:10 AM

Liked: 18
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newestpost/1364999
post #3 of 10 Old 07-12-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 426
I believe the issue may be the formatting of the drive. I have successfully attached a 4TB USB volume (pair of 2TB drives in a dual enclosure configured as RAID 0) to both a WD Live plus and WD Live-SMP. The drives were formatted with GUID partition tables (aka. GPT) and NTFS.

Your 3TB external drive probably comes formatted as MFT partitions with the new 4K sectors so it can be backward compatible with Win XP -- with classic MFT and 512 sectors, XP is limited to 2TB volumes. Win-Vista and above supports GPT formatted drives for volumes larger than 2TB. The WD Live supports GPT partitioned drives but I don't believe it supports MFT with 4K sectors.

If I'm wrong about that, somebody will chime in.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 10 Old 07-12-2013, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I believe the issue may be the formatting of the drive. I have successfully attached a 4TB USB volume (pair of 2TB drives in a dual enclosure configured as RAID 0) to both a WD Live plus and WD Live-SMP. The drives were formatted with GUID partition tables (aka. GPT) and NTFS.

Your 3TB external drive probably comes formatted as MFT partitions with the new 4K sectors so it can be backward compatible with Win XP -- with classic MFT and 512 sectors, XP is limited to 2TB volumes. Win-Vista and above supports GPT formatted drives for volumes larger than 2TB. The WD Live supports GPT partitioned drives but I don't believe it supports MFT with 4K sectors.

If I'm wrong about that, somebody will chime in.

Thankyou for your response. I called western digital and spoke to someone in tech support. I was told that the drives are NTFS formatted and that the 3tb won't work with the WD media player as the max is 2tb.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 PM

I have WD Live hub... I went and got a cheap Gear Head powered 4 part hub.

I have a 3TB drive attached to the powered hub,and it works fine. The drive is a Samsung, though.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-10-2013, 07:31 AM

I have a 3TB Intenso external drive that didn´t work with the WD Live box, it wasn´t even recognized as a hard disk. After changing to GPT format instead of MBR and enabling write cache on the drive everything works fine. The drive is shown with 3TB capacity in the system information of the WD box and I just filled half of it.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-06-2013, 07:22 PM

I have read elsewhere that you can partition the 3 TB drive into 2, 1.5 TB drives or 3, 1 TB drives and it will work then. I haven't tested it myself so...Let us know how you go. :)

post #8 of 10 Old 12-06-2013, 07:28 PM

I have read that partitioning the drive into 2 x 1.5 TB or 3 x 1 TB will work, I haven't tested it so I can't vouch for it, let us know how you go.

post #9 of 10 Old 12-07-2013, 02:57 AM

I use one 3TB partition without significant problems. Every three or four weeks the box does not recognise the hard drive anymore, then I connect the drive to a Windows PC and scan it for errors. The drive never show errors, but obviously Windows writes a signature to the drive that tells the box that the drive is usable. After that the drive works again fine
post #10 of 10 Old 12-08-2013, 02:59 PM

So I have to wonder given that information is it worth the messing around?

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player