Seeking Streaming media player with .iso & DVD/BD menu support - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 54 Old 02-21-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollyxu View Post

Could you please tell me your email, so I can confirm if we have received the box and why you still have not get your money back.
I am already going through the process of charge back. Again.. to fellow members: These people seem to respond only when they are pressured (as here on this forum) or through charge back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 02-22-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 154

I've been asked to send mine back to China (even though it shipped to me from New Jersey) and I haven't bothered. I know that it will take who knows how long for them to get it if at all. Oh and they want me to put a value of $12 on it.

Please everyone take this from people that have dealt with this company and their completely inferior product. They admit that they have faulty hardware but try anything / everything they can to prevent you from sending it back and when you do you have to jump through all of the hoops.

Shame on DVDFab for getting in bed with this company / product. Didn't anyone test one of these out before deciding to sell them?

audvid likes this.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #33 of 54 Old 02-22-2014, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post

I've been asked to send mine back to China (even though it shipped to me from New Jersey) and I haven't bothered. I know that it will take who knows how long for them to get it if at all. Oh and they want me to put a value of $12 on it.

Please everyone take this from people that have dealt with this company and their completely inferior product. They admit that they have faulty hardware but try anything / everything they can to prevent you from sending it back and when you do you have to jump through all of the hoops.

Shame on DVDFab for getting in bed with this company / product. Didn't anyone test one of these out before deciding to sell them?
Good question! They know they have a product that doesn't work.. I wish it worked - because on paper, its a great product and I would have loved to own one.

They are selling with the idea that people like us won't jump through hoops to return.. That's why they force us to ship to china.. Most would give up.. that is what they are count on! So.. please don't give up.
It costs $27 to ship it to china, without proof of delivery! If you want proof of delivery, its like $75! if you don't have proof of delivery/tracking info, your credit card company won't allow you to do a charge back. BTW, you will probably get a bill from DHL for $26 for duty on this. It is no longer the factor of money.. I hope you also will join me, in spreading the word that fellow members here should avoid buying from these people.

WollyXu - if you really want to help - how about you arrange for return back to the NJ address that you ship products from?

post #34 of 54 Old 02-22-2014, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

Good question! They know they have a product that doesn't work.. I wish it worked - because on paper, its a great product and I would have loved to own one.

They are selling with the idea that people like us won't jump through hoops to return.. That's why they force us to ship to china.. Most would give up.. that is what they are count on! So.. please don't give up.
It costs $27 to ship it to china, without proof of delivery! If you want proof of delivery, its like $75! if you don't have proof of delivery/tracking info, your credit card company won't allow you to do a charge back. BTW, you will probably get a bill from DHL for $26 for duty on this. It is no longer the factor of money.. I hope you also will join me, in spreading the word that fellow members here should avoid buying from these people.

WollyXu - if you really want to help - how about you arrange for return back to the NJ address that you ship products from?

As a sales manager of a company that regularly ships very expensive gear into China I can tell you that VidOn.me is not the cause of that particular difficulty..........
audvid likes this.
post #35 of 54 Old 02-22-2014, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMConey View Post

As a sales manager of a company that regularly ships very expensive gear into China I can tell you that VidOn.me is not the cause of that particular difficulty..........
I gave you thumbs up by accident. As one who has dealt with Vidon.me, I can assure you that Vidon.me is the cause of MY particular difficulty. They didn't even bother to reply, until I started a charge back! They ship a product that doesn't work and actually admit that it doesn't work. I could be wrong of course to say that vidon.me is not the cause for shipping a product that does not work and for not replying to emails, until charge back. But you are probably correct.. because.. "Its not their/your/my fault" seems to be the current national executive trend.. biggrin.gif
post #36 of 54 Old 02-22-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:

I gave you thumbs up by accident. As one who has dealt with Vidon.me, I can assure you that Vidon.me is the cause of MY particular difficulty. They didn't even bother to reply, until I started a charge back! They ship a product that doesn't work and actually admit that it doesn't work. I could be wrong of course to say that vidon.me is not the cause for shipping a product that does not work and for not replying to emails, until charge back. But you are probably correct.. because.. "Its not their/your/my fault" seems to be the current national executive trend.. biggrin.gif

My comment was only meant to address shipping complexities and costs not the larger issue.
Regards.
post #37 of 54 Old 02-22-2014, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMConey View Post

My comment was only meant to address shipping complexities and costs not the larger issue.
Regards.
I had no complexity about shipping it to China. It was fairly simple, to send via usps. $27
post #38 of 54 Old 02-22-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:

I had no complexity about shipping it to China. It was fairly simple, to send via usps. $27

My mistake - I misread your post as expressing unhappiness with both the shipping costs and the inability of the NJ importer to to re export the device on your behalf.
post #39 of 54 Old 03-15-2014, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Has anyone tried Bluetimes 3D Blu-ray DVD BD ISO HD1080p H.264 MKV WiFi TV Box HDD Media Player. It is on ebay. Cheap.. making a lot of technical claims..
post #40 of 54 Old 04-12-2014, 03:39 AM

Quote:

Has anyone tried Bluetimes 3D Blu-ray DVD BD ISO HD1080p H.264 MKV WiFi TV Box HDD Media Player. It is on ebay. Cheap.. making a lot of technical claims..

FWIW, I had an email exchange with these folks as I too thought the device looked pretty interesting.

Unfortunately, its designed to only play files from a hard drive directly attached to it. It has networking, but that just allows you to see and control the device.

Regards.
post #41 of 54 Old 04-15-2014, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhalmo View Post

The Popcorn Hour C-300 supports full ISO and BD-Java / BD-Live and menu support. I stream my BluRays in the following stream with no stutter and native resolution and sound (subtitles, languages, etc.)

HDD -> USB 2.0 -> PC -> HaneWin NFS Share -> Cat-5 -> PCH C-300 -> HDMI -> TV...

I setup my C-300 to automatically launch the Network Media Jukebox on startup using a Logitech remote. It auto maps my network NFS Shares so my entire collection appears as a Netflix style wall of album covers. It doesn't get any simpler than that. My kids, 4 and 2 years old, only have to point at the movie. Auto syncs with IMDB and subtitle support. I recommend you try it again because for Blu-Ray rips it's simply stellar (Java and Live) as well as DTS-HD support. If anyone needs help setting up this system, let me know, I don't mind preparing detailed instructions to novice level.

Hi Dhalmo, could you post this guide, please? I presume you're using NFS v4 with a 32KB block size, but are you using the UDP or TCP protocol? Would this also work with a NAS such as a Synology DS3612xs running the new DiskStation Manager 5.0 over a gigabit (or higher) LAN?

Am I right in saying that your C-300 method (and presumably the same would work for the A-300?), DVDFab Media Player on PC or Mac, and the far dearer and proprietary Kaleidescape Store and Cinema One player, are the only methods for streaming 2D Blu-Ray ISOs over a local network with full BD-Live / Profile 2.0 menu support? As a result of Cinavia, is PowerDVD 12 (and, in time, PowerDVD 14) used in conjunction SlySoft AnyDVD HD the only option for the same functionality with Profile 5.0 / Blu-Ray 3D, but that both this and DVDFab Media Player will require the user to manually mount the NFS-accessed ISO as a virtual drive, and also not offer "auto mapping of NFS shares for a Netflix-style wall of album covers"? Perhaps XBMC could one day offer the ideal solution?

I, dabotsonline / Nicholas Polydor, am part of Panasonic UK's 'VIERA VIP Club': a group of six bloggers and forum posters receiving special access to information and events for the TV product range. Costs for activities are covered by Panasonic (no cash is involved). However, I can assure that this will never compromise my integrity or objectivity as an ethical conscience is something I have always and will forever hold very dear to my heart.
post #42 of 54 Old 04-15-2014, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabotsonline View Post

Hi Dhalmo, could you post this guide, please? I presume you're using NFS v4 with a 32KB block size, but are you using the UDP or TCP protocol? Would this also work with a NAS such as a Synology DS3612xs running the new DiskStation Manager 5.0 over a gigabit (or higher) LAN?

Am I right in saying that your C-300 method (and presumably the same would work for the A-300?), DVDFab Media Player on PC or Mac, and the far dearer and proprietary Kaleidescape Store and Cinema One player, are the only methods for streaming 2D Blu-Ray ISOs over a local network with full BD-Live / Profile 2.0 menu support? As a result of Cinavia, is PowerDVD 12 (and, in time, PowerDVD 14) used in conjunction SlySoft AnyDVD HD the only option for the same functionality with Profile 5.0 / Blu-Ray 3D, but that both this and DVDFab Media Player will require the user to manually mount the NFS-accessed ISO as a virtual drive, and also not offer "auto mapping of NFS shares for a Netflix-style wall of album covers"? Perhaps XBMC could one day offer the ideal solution?

Setup of the C300 PCH for shares as describe on my original post.

1. Purchase/acquire haneWIN NFS Server V.1.2 or above for your Windows 7 PC and install the executable to your PC. This is the same PC that you plan on having your Hard Disk Drives (HDDs) with media connected to.
2. Follow this guide for the installation and configuration of NFS Server on your PC to able to open firewall ports and share hard drives. http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Hanewin_NFS_server. The setup operates the NFS Server on both UDP and TCP.
3. Attach your HDDs to your PC and map them to the NFS Server so that the PCH sees them (use the guide). I have 12 HDDs (~30 TB) connected via USB hubs/bridge to my Windows 7 pc running the NFS Server software, then I just mapped each drive as described in the guide.

The only drawback of the above setup is that the PC is always on so that my family has access to the fill library of content at any time (~5000 movie and TV events). The attached HDDs only see duty when there is a demand from the C-300 so they are generally in standby not consuming much power and the disks remain still.

The PC itself is in my basement (nice and cool) and connected to the C-300 in my upstairs living room via a CAT5 connection with a Linksys router in-between at my zero network point. The C-300 is also connected to this same router. I don't use wifi streaming because of nasty stutter, especially after ff/rewind commands. I also prefer the speed and response of being hard wired.

I'll make my process data stream a little more accurate:
HDDs -> USB 2.0 -> USB Hub-> PC (Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit) -> Running HaneWin NFS Server V.1.2 -> Cat-5 -> Linksys Router -> Cat-5-> PCH C-300 -> HDMI 1.4 -> Hitachi Director's Series Plasma

Network Attached Storage (NAS) can be accessed by a C-300 and many people have reported doing so but I've never done it. I use a PC as an intermediary because cost wise NAS are more expensive than just standard USB HDDs and I already had a PC I could use to serve with.

BD-Live functionality is present, though Profile 5.0 Blu-rays are probably not going to play back with full navigation (3D Blurays). I don't watch 3D or have a 3D TV so I've never fully explored this feature. Full Blu-Ray menu functionality though with all the bonus features and menus. I have some BD's that I ripped using the latest version of AnyDVD HD with BD Live and some without, in both instances it works just fine. I think I read somewhere that this only works with the C-300 and not the A-300 because it is designed to install a Blu Ray player internally but I can't confirm. I don't like BD ISO's specifically but they work fine. I prefer a native uncompressed and untampered with Blu Ray rip with all the file structure one would find on the disk itself.

Here is the product purchase site http://www.cloudmedia.com/products/popcornhour/store-c-300
Here is the online forum where people discuss configuration and use of the product. http://www.networkedmediatank.com/ (You'll also find information on how to attach a NAS to the C-300 on this forum)

I chose to avoid XBMC and a PC in general as my HTPC because my wife has no tolerance for "technical" equipment. I set everything up in the background so that her experience is point and click, XBMC is very advanced with alot of features but I fear I would end up being more tech support and the target of my kids wrath going that route. Also, I don't like the idea of a PC in my living room for many other reasons (fan noise, asthetics, etc.) and the C-300 fit my component space and "look". Someday if there is a compact, appliance type form factor for XBMC I may explore it.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD (Calibrated Cinema Pro / Cinema Home / HDR) - LG UP970 UHD Player
NVidia Shield Pro (2015) - Chromecast Ultra
PS4 Pro 1TB - 30TB NFS Share Over LAN (Win7 HaneWin)
SANUS VLF525-B1 Wall Mount
post #43 of 54 Old 04-15-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhalmo View Post

Setup of the C300 PCH for shares as describe on my original post.
Thank you for that extremely comprehensive reply! biggrin.gif

I, dabotsonline / Nicholas Polydor, am part of Panasonic UK's 'VIERA VIP Club': a group of six bloggers and forum posters receiving special access to information and events for the TV product range. Costs for activities are covered by Panasonic (no cash is involved). However, I can assure that this will never compromise my integrity or objectivity as an ethical conscience is something I have always and will forever hold very dear to my heart.
post #44 of 54 Old 04-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
my advice to all people wanting a media player is TO WAIT !!!!!
Dune will release the 204 & 205 models around October 2014 and i just received an info (by mail) that zappiti will release 2 new models....

these devices will be compatible HEVC, a must for anyone year's end really...and 4K will also be supported. iso support will also be better i guess and 3d better compatible too...

just use media player of your TV and be patient ! buying a media player now is useless...IMO

Panasonic ET60 TV + 5.1 Monitor Audio MASS & 10" Gemini Bk2 subwoofer - Media player: Egreat A5 4K HDR
post #45 of 54 Old 04-15-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post

my advice to all people wanting a media player is TO WAIT !!!!!
Dune will release the 204 & 205 models around October 2014 and i just received an info (by mail) that zappiti will release 2 new models....

these devices will be compatible HEVC, a must for anyone year's end really...and 4K will also be supported. iso support will also be better i guess and 3d better compatible too...

just use media player of your TV and be patient ! buying a media player now is useless...IMO

Wait for what the TV 204/205 are ott/iptv solutions not local streaming devices. Since sigma nor realtek has came out with any chip that supports HVEC that means its an arm based chipset nothing to write home about or wait for. So if you are waiting for them might as well pick up an amazon fire or something. Once they jumped on the broadcom chipset for the other tv models it pretty much killed local play back for the device. Remember HVEC 4k streams will come in about 14mbit like netflix. So any low level chip will support it. But if you are looking for local hvec 1:1 rips dont wait for that.

Even the announced sigma SMP8734 that supports 4k/hvec wont launch until the end of the year and being there first arm chipset not having to much high hopes for it. And anything that launches before the BDA standard comes will most likely not have out of the box for bluray 4k when the time comes. Doubt we will see 4k bluray for at least another year though.
post #46 of 54 Old 04-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

dune 204 and 205 are indeed ip solutions...but french sites did confirm that they will STREAM hevc.
Dune is shifting its business...as media players are dying, so they are focusing on other alternatives....still by the end 2014 we will probably see a Mede8ter HEVC device....
BTW is there any HTPC that will support HEVC/4k ???
intel NUC seems to not do that nor hd audio, and seems to suck....
what the hell are the alternatives to stream hevc...besided buying a 4k tv ????

Panasonic ET60 TV + 5.1 Monitor Audio MASS & 10" Gemini Bk2 subwoofer - Media player: Egreat A5 4K HDR
post #47 of 54 Old 04-15-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:

dune 204 and 205 are indeed ip solutions...but french sites did confirm that they will STREAM hevc.
Dune is shifting its business...as media players are dying, so they are focusing on other alternatives....still by the end 2014 we will probably see a Mede8ter HEVC device....

I'm not understanding how do you come up that the Intel NUC sucks? 4K there's like limited selection for 4K. In my personal opinion and experience, the best media players they made were the Smart Series.
post #48 of 54 Old 04-15-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes STREAM so as an iptv solution and the only people offering 4k streams is netflix. Means people with 4k tv already have a device to STREAM the only 4k streams out there. and granted the reviews on the 4k stream was still looks worse then bluray h264

Again what will mede8er build this hevc device off of that will support this. You keep throwing all this stuff out without any information to back it up without anyone producing any worth while chipsets all the devices that have been out are the same the cheap Chinese players have been offering 4k output for awhile now.

And yes htpc just an intel haswell alone can output support 4K resolutions (4096x2160 @ 23 Hz and 24 Hz, as well as 3840x2160 @ 23 Hz, 24 Hz, 25 Hz, 29 Hz and 30 Hz) And there are plenty of HEVC decoders coming to the PC.

HEVC is no were near a standard yet and wont be for some time the encoders/decoders still need a lot of work to get them anywhere close to what h264 was.

And the nuc supports HD audio if you use it correctly.

outside of online streaming we will not see a 4k/hevc movement for at least another year. You could buy a player in October 2014 but seeing as BDA has will not even release the standard for 4k bluray, that leaves 4k bluray iso off the table for any new player until that is announced which most likely wont come till November/December
post #49 of 54 Old 04-16-2014, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

well after speaking with mede8ter they did tell me a new player will come out soon that uses sigma's new chip that can decode hevc by dnla...so i am not throwing info. zappiti confirmed the same...
i agree hevc is not as good as x264 but believe me adoption will be "quick" and probably by early 2015....many many devices will be x265 compatibe wink.gif

post #50 of 54 Old 04-16-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

well after speaking with mede8ter they did tell me a new player will come out soon that uses sigma's new chip that can decode hevc by dnla...so i am not throwing info. zappiti confirmed the same...
i agree hevc is not as good as x264 but believe me adoption will be "quick" and probably by early 2015....many many devices will be x265 compatibe wink.gif

Again factor in mede8er has never worked with a sigma chip. They are not as turn key as the realtek chips it takes a different kind of dev team to work on them. And the hevc capable chip coming from sigma is due out end of the year. its the first ARM based chipset sigma has done. They have always done MIPS in the past. Given the past record with the recent buggy 8911,8647 sdk was. I would not hold out high hopes for it. maybe come 2016 it might be a decent solution. Many devices will be x265 compatible I agree.

But I dont see people encoding to x265 till end of 2015 early 2016. If you want to test yourself use the xvid hevc encoder use the high quality preset with avg bitrate of say 10,000, Then do the exact same with h264 using slower preset and 10,000 bitrate you will see that the h264 encode blows the hevc out of the water in terms of quality the h265 encoders are just not there yet in terms of quality. nor speed. If you do a 10bit h264 and a 10bit h265 the h265 takes anywhere from 5-8x longer to encode.

Spec wise hevc will win in the end implementation wise its not there yet
nenito2k likes this.
post #51 of 54 Old 04-17-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 145
couldn't agree more with you...

HEVC is really interesting for 4K sources. As long as there's nothing to encode that would really need HEVC, what would be the interest of spending more time to encode to end up with something similar or even worse than H264 ? Don't tell me that going from a 20GB rip to 10GB makes a big difference when 4TB HDD are going cheaper everyday...

of course that will be another story when 4K will really start (if ever...) and you will be happy with 50GB instead of 100GB.

But for now, HEVC is absolutely not something needed and certainly an overkill.

And also +1 with the new chipsets part. This is going to be a nightmare if Sigma changes platform, SDK and adds a new codec all at once. The 8911 might then be remembered as a "chipset almost perfect at launch" biggrin.gif
post #52 of 54 Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

eric...hevc actually matters...outside USA ! why ? coz internet speed SUCKS and even watching 1080 trailers is impossible in many countries.....
50% less streaming/download time even FOR SD content is a huge benefit....hdd space is not the issue...
i do thing hevc will be a "revolution"...just not in 2014...but eventually it will catch up to the 264 codec...

post #53 of 54 Old 04-17-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 145
that's something completely different than what we are talking about. Of course reducing the bandwidth needed to be able to receive a 1080p TV show is very important in many countries, and will be even more important in the coming years to receive 4K through digital TV. But this has nothing to do with using HEVC to rip/encode movies and play it back on a media player, simply because this doesn't require any internet connection and is free from any bandwidth/speed limits...
nenito2k likes this.
post #54 of 54 Old 04-17-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

eric...hevc actually matters...outside USA ! why ? coz internet speed SUCKS and even watching 1080 trailers is impossible in many countries.....
50% less streaming/download time even FOR SD content is a huge benefit....hdd space is not the issue...
i do thing hevc will be a "revolution"...just not in 2014...but eventually it will catch up to the 264 codec...

Actually you are forgetting one major factor hevc has not been deemed the winner for 4k/ new streaming options VP9 is still neck and neck with hevc, while netflix is going hevc, youtube is going vp9 more then likely you will need a device with support for both.
Dhalmo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Micca Ep600 G2 1080p Full Hd Digital Media Player With 3d Playback 7 1 Hd Audio , Mediasonic H82 Su3s2 Black Probox 8 Bay External Hard Drive Enclosure , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page