Seeking Streaming media player with .iso & DVD/BD menu support - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 07-13-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Currently using Micca ep600 media player with Mediasonic H82-Su3S2 8 bay external hard drive enclosure with 5 drives of 2 TB each.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817576012

I want to get a new media player
The micca works fine with normal usb but not as well with my above drive enclosure.
(micca sometimes does not recognize all the drives in the 8 bay enclosure - I have to go in and delete its .part file to make it recognize).

I replaced the micca with an Asus hdpr1 but i can't seem to find a button on the remote, to select the chapter menu! Its kind of stupid omission by Asus..

I want to get basic media player with .iso support (I need optical audio output also) and Chapter menu button for DVD and bluray iso files.

I don't want HTPC and don't want to have to discuss that subject. Thank you for your understanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 07-15-2013, 04:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
None of the new media players off full menu support for Blu rays. If that is something that is critical for you, you will want to look at some of the previous gen models (I would recommend the Dune Smarts if you can find, there is still a limited supply out there).

Most media players have full support for DVDs

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #3 of 54 Old 07-15-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I am seeing some of the new media players having bd menu support.. but they have bad reviews on amazon.. I like amazon reviews - especially to read the 1 star reviews..
I can't seem to find a descent media player.. There are so many of them!
post #4 of 54 Old 07-16-2013, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Find a Dune Smart Player if you can.
post #5 of 54 Old 07-17-2013, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

I am seeing some of the new media players having bd menu support.. but they have bad reviews on amazon.. I like amazon reviews - especially to read the 1 star reviews..
I can't seem to find a descent media player.. There are so many of them!

there's no new media player with BD menu support. At least if by "new" you're speaking of the 3D models that were launched in the past 6 months.

as others said : try to get a Dune Smart if you can find one.
post #6 of 54 Old 07-17-2013, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If all you care about is playing from an attached hard drive and want full ISO support, pony up for a used Oppo 93 with ISO compatible firmware. There is no other device that will play ISO files as well as it does. Plays 3D blu ray ISO files flawlessly with no issues and has done so for years. Other companies are still struggling to get it done right. The caveat is that your hard drives can not be larger than 2TB and they must be attached via USB, esata, or your probox works as well as I have the exact same one and the Oppo recognizes all the discs. It will not be cheap, but it does what no other player will do...
post #7 of 54 Old 07-19-2013, 02:23 PM

Liked: 10
Out of curiosity what changed in the last year that made media players not support full BD iso menus? I have the Dune 3.0 Prime and it has full support, was thinking of getting the 3D version, but it only supports 3D lite.
post #8 of 54 Old 07-19-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxInHD View Post

Out of curiosity what changed in the last year that made media players not support full BD iso menus? I have the Dune 3.0 Prime and it has full support, was thinking of getting the 3D version, but it only supports 3D lite.
Cinavia
post #9 of 54 Old 07-21-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

would this Dune HD TV-102AW IPTV Network player support bd.iso menus? In fact, I am not even sure if this and other android based media players even support playback of ANY .iso file

comicguy.. you mention cinavia as reason for new media players not supporting bd iso menus.. do you mean to imply that none of the new media players would be supporting bd iso menus? For example, I have a micca (has faults) which plays bd iso menus just fine. I would assume that some of the overseas (smaller) manufacturers will continue to sell media players with bd iso menu? Do they not already do so?

What about the new android media players?

I am using a boxee.. It is interesting.. quite ingenious but it does not play all of my .iso files..
post #10 of 54 Old 09-25-2013, 03:14 PM

Liked: 10
I am thinking of getting Pioneer BDP-62FD which can play BD ISO and 3D BD iso from USB with resonable price at $159. With CFW, even more you can play from 3T/4T USB or stream from NAS NFS. But I have not tested how well this player can play smoothly from Network NFS or DLNA.
post #11 of 54 Old 09-26-2013, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

would this Dune HD TV-102AW IPTV Network player support bd.iso menus? In fact, I am not even sure if this and other android based media players even support playback of ANY .iso file

comicguy.. you mention cinavia as reason for new media players not supporting bd iso menus.. do you mean to imply that none of the new media players would be supporting bd iso menus? For example, I have a micca (has faults) which plays bd iso menus just fine. I would assume that some of the overseas (smaller) manufacturers will continue to sell media players with bd iso menu? Do they not already do so?

What about the new android media players?

I am using a boxee.. It is interesting.. quite ingenious but it does not play all of my .iso files..

None of the Android based media player support BD ISO's. They don't even support HD sound. If you want BD ISO with full menus YOU WILL HAVE TO GO WITH AN OLDER MEDIA PLAYER SUCH AS DUNE SMARTS SERIES OR PCH-A210 / C200.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #12 of 54 Old 09-30-2013, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I am using two players.
One is Micca and the other is Asus.
Asus works fast but I lacks one button.. I forgot which button (I don't have it in front of me).. maybe it is the subtitle button that is missing.. Otherwise, I like asus just fine.

I had trouble with Micca, when I try to use my 8 bay external usb drive. Minor trouble - that I had to delete some left over junk files from each drive, when ever I unplug the bay from micca.. Otherwise, it would not recognize all the drives..

Now, I am using Boxee and my 8 bay unit is hooked up to boxee.

Boxee works just fine and also functions as if it were an NAS. The Micca and Asus can now easily find the drives over the network. Everything works just fine.

I tried a couple of NAS units like synology and others.. all below $200 and they didn't work out for me. Often, they kept going offline..

Boxee is now taken over - I think by samsung or someone like that.. but if you can still find one, its a great media player.

All of the preceding play .iso files. I don't know about their HD Audio or 3D capabilities. I don't have HD Audio processor.
post #13 of 54 Old 11-18-2013, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
nobody here seems to even know the existence of the media players from MEDE8er !!!! were you folks sleeping for the past 12 months ?

they have been out for ages and all of the new ones support 3D iso flawlessly....
Guess no one gives a damn about that brand....and for the record they are much better than HD-dune....
post #14 of 54 Old 11-18-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Nenito,

We all know about Mede8er - there are threads on this board dedicated to Mede8er. It is well regarded here.

But the original poster is asking for full Blu-Ray menus, which Mede8er does not have. That's why it hasn't been recommended in this situation.
GusGus748s likes this.
post #15 of 54 Old 11-21-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I just heard about vidon.me.
They have two models..
any comments?
post #16 of 54 Old 02-10-2014, 04:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

None of the Android based media player support BD ISO's. They don't even support HD sound.

The HiMedia Q5 II and the Q10 II support BD ISO and 3DBD ISO with full HD audio support.
A friend of mine piqued my interest when he purchased an Android dongle which he had jailbroken, he's been bragging about all the free TV he's getting. I asked him whether it supported BD ISO playback via HDD and he wasn't sure so I did a bit of research. His didn't support it but I did come across this model which claims to be the only Android media player to support BD ISO and 3DBD ISO. I have the HiMedia HD900B and while it has its issues it does what I need it to do and that is play 3DBD ISO. Information on the player can be found online and through a host of videos on youtube. It's got some very interesting features like the phone app which lets you control the device through an Android smart phone and also play games using your phone as a controller (utilizing the accelerometer). As with most Android media players it supports XBMC and can also be jailbroken to give you access to thousands of TV channels streamed off the web.
I'm very tempted to buy a unit to test it out.
post #17 of 54 Old 02-13-2014, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

They have two models..
any comments?

Hi, VidOn.me Android Blu-ray Box (AV200) supports .iso file, it has a special edition of XBMC built in, called VidOn XBMC. VidOn XBMC can play Blu-ray and DVD content as ISO files and movie folders, and also plays nearly all standard format videos. BDMV and external subtitles like .srt are also supported. The box supports AC3/DTS 5.1 SPDIF passthrough and DTS-HD/TrueHD HDMI passthrough, 

And now it supports BD 3D. I think this is what you want. You can learn more and buy it from the official website http://vidon.me/android_blu_ray_box.htm

post #18 of 54 Old 02-13-2014, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
would be great if you also say that you are working for vidon... rolleyes.gif
GusGus748s likes this.
post #19 of 54 Old 02-13-2014, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollyxu View Post

Hi, VidOn.me Android Blu-ray Box (AV200) supports .iso file, it has a special edition of XBMC built in, called VidOn XBMC. VidOn XBMC can play 
Blu-ray and DVD content as ISO files and movie folders, and also plays nearly all standard format videos. BDMV and external subtitles like .srt are also supported. 
The box supports AC3/DTS 5.1 SPDIF passthrough and DTS-HD/TrueHD HDMI passthrough, 

And now it supports BD 3D. I think this is what you want. You can learn more and buy it from the official website http://vidon.me/android_blu_ray_box.htm
I did buy their av200 unit, as a part of pre-order. I got it for only $150 (I think).. Great price, I thought.
Anyway, when I got the unit, it had too many problems. It would not play some of my .iso files. They asked me to "update the software". After I did so, it would not recognize my network at all. If you email them, they give gibberish answers. They have a forum but that got me useless answers.

Frustrated, I emailed them, asking for an RMA and an address to send the unit back for a refund. They would not bother to reply. I sent a couple of emails but never heard back.
Annoyed, I finally called my credit card company and asked for a charge back and also, called Avantegate (their credit card liason company). Avantegate was very nice - they initiated the refund process, which made these people reply. They said they would give me credit. The charge back was cancelled.
I don't know if I got the credit yet. I forgot to check.
I paid $25 in customs duty and another $26 in shipping to return it (you have to ship it back to China)
This was a lot of wasted time for me, for not much money.. but i followed up on the return because they were not very helpful and I wanted to make it a point that they not benefit after annoying me.
It does seem to be a potentially good unit with well planned features. If it had worked, it would have been one of the best units on the market today, in terms of features!
Maybe they need more time to get it ready but mine sure didn't work.
post #20 of 54 Old 02-13-2014, 07:20 PM

Sorry for the trouble. AV200 is a new product, and we are constantly working on it to make it better. From the first version of VidOn XBMC to the v 1.0.0.6, it has solved many problems and we also upgraded the firmware to the latest v 3.1.3, and now it has the ability to play BD 3D.

We will continue to enhance our customer service and product quality. Thanks for your support!

post #21 of 54 Old 02-16-2014, 11:32 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

They have two models..
any comments?

Absolute crap / waste of money.

post #22 of 54 Old 02-17-2014, 07:33 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post

Absolute crap / waste of money.
May be... may be.
But VidOn AV200 is the best Android mediaplayer that I ever seen.
Yes, it lacks some important features such as Auto Frame Rate or native 23.976 Hz output (24.000 Hz only), but all Android players lack them.

P.S. And I didn't have any problem that audvid had.
post #23 of 54 Old 02-17-2014, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokap View Post

May be... may be.
But VidOn AV200 is the best Android mediaplayer that I ever seen.
Yes, it lacks some important features such as Auto Frame Rate or native 23.976 Hz output (24.000 Hz only), but all Android players lack them.

P.S. And I didn't have any problem that audvid had.
I agree that it's features and capabilities would be excellent.... If it actually worked. Your unit works as advertised?
post #24 of 54 Old 02-17-2014, 07:58 PM

Liked: 16
I have some buffering problems when I play ISO images over SAMBA.
And BD-menu support is not excelent. BD-J menu often doesn't work at all. And I cannot add some add-ons to VidOn XBMC. 3D mode (HDMI 3D Frame Packing) works only when AV200 connected to my TV directly and it doesn't work when AV200 connected to my Onkyo TX-NR5008 reciever (I don't have this problem with my other 3D-players).
post #25 of 54 Old 02-19-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollyxu View Post

Sorry for the trouble. AV200 is a new product, and we are constantly working on it to make it better. From the first version of VidOn XBMC to the v 1.0.0.6, it has solved many problems and we also upgraded the firmware to the latest v 3.1.3, and now it has the ability to play BD 3D.

We will continue to enhance our customer service and product quality. Thanks for your support!
You will continue to "enhance"? I have wasted a lot of time, trying to get my money back.. and by the way I still have not got it back!
Fellow members: Please don't buy from these people. It is impossible to deal with them. I returned the item but still have not gotten my money back. It is not just the money.. but its the principle.. This is a chinese company doing business via an intermediary for their credit card processing and it is absolutely impossible to deal with both these companies.. They guy says he would "enhance".. Well.. that really does not seem to mean anything, based on my experience!
post #26 of 54 Old 02-19-2014, 11:25 AM

The Popcorn Hour C-300 supports full ISO and BD-Java / BD-Live and menu support. I stream my BluRays in the following stream with no stutter and native resolution and sound (subtitles, languages, etc.)

HDD -> USB 2.0 -> PC -> HaneWin NFS Share -> Cat-5 -> PCH C-300 -> HDMI -> TV.

Worth every penny and the wife factor is achieved, as in her eyes don't glaze over when I explain how to watch a movie from our library, she just selects it and plays it. Done!
post #27 of 54 Old 02-19-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Wife factor? biggrin.gif Well, I am embarrassed to admit - I found popcorn hour c200 to be too complicated and inconvenient to use.. I got rid of it.. biggrin.gif
post #28 of 54 Old 02-19-2014, 11:45 AM

It's too bad, I would have bought it from you. I never said the setup was wife factor, just the final result. I setup my C-300 to automatically launch the Network Media Jukebox on startup using a Logitech remote. It auto maps my network NFS Shares so my entire collection appears as a Netflix style wall of album covers. It doesn't get any simpler than that. My kids, 4 and 2 years old, only have to point at the movie. Auto syncs with IMDB and subitle support. I recommend you try it again because for Blu-Ray rips it's simply stellar (Java and Live) as well as DTS-HD support. If anyone needs help setting up this system, let me know, I don't mind preparing detailed instructions to novice level.
post #29 of 54 Old 02-20-2014, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Dhalmo, The c300 might well be a great unit. I just didn't like all the setup I would have to do on the c200.. The WD media player was much easier for me - for interface and usage. It also picks up the cover art etc. and I find it very convenient to use. I like the Boxee the best but its been bought out by samsung and no further info on that. The Boxee works as an excellent NAS device.. It is better than some of the actual NAS devices I tried.
Dhalmo likes this.
post #30 of 54 Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 PM

Could you please tell me your email, so I can confirm if we have received the box and why you still have not get your money back.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Micca Ep600 G2 1080p Full Hd Digital Media Player With 3d Playback 7 1 Hd Audio , Mediasonic H82 Su3s2 Black Probox 8 Bay External Hard Drive Enclosure , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread