Slingbox type device that allows multiple iOS/Andriod (mobile) devices to connect to it via WiFi in an Ad-Hoc configuration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I hope I can explain what I am wishing to attempt. Currently I am utilizing a WD TV Live for my A/V collection (mostly NKV's, but also, VOB's, ISO's, MP3, FLAC..etc). I employ a Miccus Home RTX Bluetooth Transceiver to broadcast my audio to my Bose Soundlink speaker. For the video, I'm using a HD LED projector with the HDMI output of the WD TV Live. So, my next mission is to try and broadcast the HDMI Video and/or RCA audio (or component RCA) over 2.4/5,0 GHz WiFi to a browser or App that will allow me to receive that signal on a mobile device.

I looked at slingbox/Belkin @TV and such..but they all appear to use a internet service to relay the A/V to your mobile device.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-17-2013, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hauppauge Broadway is the only thing that comes close, has a composite video input and can beam that to tablet support apps.

Wouldn't it just be easier to set up a NAS and use a DLNA media player like Airplayer for iOS or anything for Android even XBMC is an option and play the content that way.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-17-2013, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Alx,

I looked at above device. It does not state you can connect via ad-hoc. It appears you need to goto a website on the Internet to view your material.

As for your NAS solution. How would I get the media player to BROADCAST the A/V wirelessly to my various mobile devices. As I understand NAS...I would have my media storage devices connected to a NAS device..that would allow my media player (PC or as in my into e WDTV Live) to see the hard drive(s). However, that does not facilitate getting the decoded A/V wirelessly to my mobile devices.
post #4 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are you a mobile Mac or PC laptop user?

Imagine using your PC or Mac to surf the net and watch TV at the same time, anywhere in the world! With Broadway, you can now watch TV wherever you have a Wi-Fi connection, in the home or around the world!

Says WiFi or internet right there, go ask the Hauppauge and see what they say, I cant think of anything else on the market that does this.

You don't broadcast digital video, the files are stored on the NAS and you use a media player on tablet/phone to play them same as WDTV plays digital videos stored on USB drive only it does it over the network.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Install PLEX on a PC.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 PM

WD Link makes your Live Hub (I've assuming it does with the TV Live too) viewable to the entire WiFi network... what mobile device/tablet are you using? If it's Android I can walk you through it - you won't have to buy any other devices.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-15-2013, 10:11 AM

Hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread but I would like to know how to set up the following and as yet can't start my own thread.

I have a desktop WiFi TV and a nexus 10. I would like to connect them all through thewifi so that I can use my nexus to access all the content that I have on my desktop and choose what I push onto my TV.

Sound simple? I think it should be but not sure how to go about it.
TAI
post #8 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 01:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixalw View Post

Hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread but I would like to know how to set up the following and as yet can't start my own thread.

I have a desktop WiFi TV and a nexus 10. I would like to connect them all through thewifi so that I can use my nexus to access all the content that I have on my desktop and choose what I push onto my TV.

Sound simple? I think it should be but not sure how to go about it.
TAI

1) Install DLNA server on PC recommend Mezzmo or Serviio, add folders with content into Mezzmo.
2) Install Skifta on Nexus 10
3) Choose Mezzmo as server listings and playback as TV

Skifta will then allow you to push content to the TV.

If the TV does not appear as a playback target then it is not a DLNA digital media renderer, your TV can support DLNA as a media player but not all devices are also the DMR part. If that turns out to be the case go buy a WDTV Live which is a DMR and will appear on Skifta.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

1) Install DLNA server on PC recommend Mezzmo or Serviio, add folders with content into Mezzmo.

If the TV does not appear as a playback target then it is not a DLNA digital media renderer, your TV can support DLNA as a media player but not all devices are also the DMR part. If that turns out to be the case go buy a WDTV Live which is a DMR and will appear on Skifta.

Thanks very much for the advice I am going to look into to it this weekend.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-19-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

Thanks for the advice. Quick question:
Will the content I want to push from my desktop to myntv have to go via the tablet, will this make things very slow, or will the desktop and the TV talk directly from with the tablet just giving the instructions?

I have a 6mb connection, will this be to slow?

Tai
post #11 of 16 Old 08-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixalw View Post

Thanks for the advice. Quick question:
Will the content I want to push from my desktop to myntv have to go via the tablet, will this make things very slow, or will the desktop and the TV talk directly from with the tablet just giving the instructions?

I have a 6mb connection, will this be to slow?

Tai

Not sure 100% but I don't think it goes through tablet, Skifta is just a controller. I've never noticed any problems.

Internet connection has no bearing on local network speed.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 PM

Thanks alx
post #13 of 16 Old 08-30-2013, 02:41 PM

OK chaps,

Have so have sorted the skifta and used serviio and all cool. Would like to play direct from my PC to the nexus and it seems that skifta will not let me watch the majority of my films like this. It says that I have to use an external device to use bubbleupnp.

My question then is how can I push content from my PC on my nexus 10 without having the TV involved?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-31-2013, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Use MX Player Pro as your default media player on Android, then Skifta or BubbleUPnP should hand over to MX Player Pro when playing media files. The UPnP/DLNA controllers wont play media that isn't native to whatever media player is associated with those file types under Android.

If they dont had over to MX Player then you may have to try another DLNA client that does, you dont need a controller just a basic DLNA client that can access a server.

Alternatively try XBMC which has UPnP built in, go to videos add browse UPnP and get it that way.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Alx, that works a treat. Thanks very much. Enjoying all my stuff whilst lounging around, lying in the garden and even having a bath, too much info I know.

Everyone's help much appreciated.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post

Ok, I looked at slingbox/Belkin @TV and such..but they all appear to use a internet service to relay the A/V to your mobile device.

Any ideas?
While the slingbox may go to the Internet to OK the initial handshake, it's running on your local network not going up to the Internet and back. Unless your not at home of course. I also assume your aware you need to be on the same network. Slingbox has access by browser, phone and tablet apps. Super solid and stable.
You can also hook up multiple sources like your cable box, WD and an RCA video cam in your back yard.. You can switch back and forth.

HDMI
Component (green/blue/red)
Composite (yellow)

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sling Media Slingbox Classic , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page