Online video streaming as well as local MKV/HD audio bitstreaming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm looking for a box that can stream online media similar to a roku but can also play my bluray rips from my server over my wired network and can bistream DTS-MA HD/Dolby TrueHD to my receiver. Right now i'm using a HTPC to do this and it does the job but I want to find something quieter, easier and uses less power.

So far it seems the Sony S5100 bluray player may do all this. There are a couple of reports of it supporting HD audio over DLNA using serviio. Anything else I should look at? The player doesn't need to decode the audio, just pass it on through.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Like all the rest of us you are looking for the Holy Grail of streaming devices---you will not find an all-in-one that does everything you want well.

IMHO, a combination of a Roku 3 and a Dune Media Player will meet your needs far better than a Sony Blu Ray player even though the total expense will be about $100 more.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
HTPC would be your answer.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #4 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

HTPC would be your answer.

Got two of them. However I have not found any good plugins for WMC or XBMC for Netflix, Amazon or hulu plus. I don't want to use a keyboard and mouse and start opening webpages on it to get what I want. Must be an interface controllable by a remote that's easy for the whole family to use.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #5 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Got two of them. However I have not found any good plugins for WMC or XBMC for Netflix, Amazon or hulu plus. I don't want to use a keyboard and mouse and start opening webpages on it to get what I want. Must be an interface controllable by a remote that's easy for the whole family to use.

I understand what you want. I was in your position before. I tried the WDTV media players a long time ago since they are supposed to play BD ripped content and it has Netflix, Vudu, etc. I soon found out it was not a very reliable media player. I has issues with lip sync and sometimes it would not play the files at all. That's why I use Dune for streaming my ripped movies and my PS3 / Xboxs for Netflix.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #6 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
It's a shame WMC doesn't have a native plugin for Hulu and Amazon. I guess a lot of people don't like the Netflix UI for WMC but it's actually my favorite UI. I don't use Hulu or Amazon either so WMC/Plex is ideal for me.

The BDP-S5100 looks like a decent option but it looks like it doesn't support VC-1 over DLNA. So if you use MakeMKV to rip all of your Blu-ray you wouldn't be able to stream any VC-1 disc rips if I'm reading that correctly. I tried the S5100 player but I didn't like it as a Blu-ray player. It only played about 1/2 of my BDs. Any disc from Universal played for about 5~10 minutes then froze the entire player. Had to unplug to reset it.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #7 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

The BDP-S5100 looks like a decent option but it looks like it doesn't support VC-1 over DLNA. So if you use MakeMKV to rip all of your Blu-ray you wouldn't be able to stream any VC-1 disc rips if I'm reading that correctly. I tried the S5100 player but I didn't like it as a Blu-ray player. It only played about 1/2 of my BDs. Any disc from Universal played for about 5~10 minutes then froze the entire player. Had to unplug to reset it.
That's one of the problems with the current Sony players, IMHO. Even the "top end" players simply don't have the quality that previous generations ones did. Several years ago my retired parents bought a BDP-S500. It was built like a brick and still working (although as slow booting as ever) when it was replaced last Christmas with a snazzy but lightweight BDP-S790. Six months later the S790 is currently en route back to Sony for a warranty repair (tray drive failure).

Meanwhile the BDP-S5100's User Manual (p. 39) lists a very specific set of containers and codecs the player supports. Note in the footnotes that many of the most useful combinations are not even guaranteed to work via DLNA and/or in HD!

Example: MPEG4/AVC in MKV container -- "1. The player may not play this file format on a DLNA server."

In addition, there is no mention of HD audio codec support at all. That's not to say that certain ones might work in certain containers under certain circumstances but there are no assurances.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

I'm looking for a box that can stream online media similar to a roku but can also play my bluray rips from my server over my wired network and can bistream DTS-MA HD/Dolby TrueHD to my receiver.

The WD TV Play can do this with MKV files (yes HD audio via DLNA). Streaming wise I think it's missing Amazon Prime and locally you can't stream via shares... DLNA only. Very limited feature set (such as supported codecs) but what it does it does very well.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Roku Streaming Player , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi
Gear in this thread - S5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page