Streaming from Network Hard Drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-18-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to watch movies on my hard drive via DLNA blu ray player. My router is a Netgear R6300 that also has DLNA capabilities.
In the manual, the router says to connect the hard drive to the USB port for DLNA sharing. Problem is, my hard driver is ethernet attached. No, USB
Is USB the only way to access the hard drive for media streaming using the router and blu ray player?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-19-2013, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 270
maybe this ?
Gigabit Ethernet NIC Network Adapter - Add Gigabit Ethernet to any USB 2.0 compatible PC or Laptop computer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833114057&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Network+Interface+Cards-_-N82E16833114057&gclid=CN7wxtaFu7gCFeZxQgodCE0AtQ

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !
post #3 of 13 Old 07-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
What hard drive do you have? I'm guessing it's some enclosed NAS device?

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #4 of 13 Old 07-20-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

yes it is a NAS device
post #5 of 13 Old 07-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

You should be able to plug the NAS into the router via Ethernet cable and access it from your player.

post #6 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thats what I did, but the dlna blu ray player isnt recognizing it. All I see is USB MEDIA folder with no content.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #8 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 304
The NAS is on the network. The device accesses the NAS directly. The NAS has to have a DLNA server built-in. Sounds like it doesn't which means you cannot do what you want to do with that particular device.

You can buy a 3TB USB HDD for a little over $100. Buy one and plug that into your router. Use the NAS for other things.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoveit1012 View Post

Anyone?
Sounds like there's no DLNA media server running on any device on the network and/or you are not looking for it in the right place on your bluray player.

I'm not familar with your R6300 router, but just from reading its manual it only mentions accessing media from an HDD attached to its own USB port. So unfortunately it looks like you may not be able use its media server for accessing the media installed on your NAS. Usually DLNA servers can also access media files from any other device on the network, so long as they are located on a network shared folder on that device. If the R6300's media server has this design flaw, I would not trust it to work as expected even with an attached USB drive!

The alternative would be to hopefully use a media server that's been installed on your NAS, if it has one, or even install one on it if it hasn't. Less conveniently you can use one on a computer attached to the same network, but this means you have to make sure it's switched on every time you want the bluray player to access the media from the NAS. Do you know if your NAS has a media server that supports UPnP/DLNA?

It would be helpful to know your NAS's make & model, also the bluray player's and what movie file types you intend to watch. It's possible that all types you require are not supported by the player via DLNA and, less likely, by the media server that might be installed on the NAS.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-26-2013, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Im running a DLink DNS-321 that is connect via Ethernet to the router (the Netgear R6300). My blu ray player is a Sony BDP-S5100.
I know I am looking in the right folder(s).
I cant find anything anywhere (website, forums, google, etc) that DLNA can be connected via Ethernet. If that is so, then it is only available via USB.
Would a Ethernet to USB adapter work? Something like this ADAPTER or this. Would it have any effect on IP address of the NAS? Also, are these adapters meant to convert incoming data to USB from Ethernet OR Ethernet to USB ? The examples given look like an example of each.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

So your DNS-321 supports UPNP but it doesn't support DLNA. The Sony player isn't going to support UPNP. So just jacking it into the Ethernet port on the router like I suggested wouldn't work... I've never used a RJ45 to USB adapter so I can't comment on if that would work or not. Those adapter are pretty cheap though so it wouldn't hurt to order one from Amazon and just return it if it doesn't work. That's they only way you're going to get your current hardware to do what you want it to do.

Much better information below...

post #12 of 13 Old 07-26-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

Im running a DLink DNS-321 that is connect via Ethernet to the router (the Netgear R6300). My blu ray player is a Sony BDP-S5100.
I wish you had provided this information in your original post. You would have gotten your information directly without making people guess.

I have two DNS-321's on my network. They have built-in UPnP/DLNA servers that you have to enable within the configuration menu of the NAS. The DLNA servers on the 321 are minimal for generic UPnP device clients. They do no transcoding and they do not have device profiles. The DLNA server on the 321 works well to stream content to well-implemented DLNA clients like dedicated media streamers -- I use mine with WD Live streamers and they work perfectly.

BluRay players and smart TV's have poorly implemented DLNA clients. They typically only work with a more sophisticated DLNA server that has device profiles to compensate for the poor client implementation. I have a Panasonic BD player. When I try to stream DLNA content from a DNS-321, the player immediately locks up and requires pulling the plug to get it to reset -- this is what I mean when I say BluRay players are crappy DLNA clients that need a good DLNA server. My media server runs Mezzmo which is one of the better DLNA servers -- it has a device profile for Panasonic BD players and it works for ~95% of the content on my server -- the Panasonic still has trouble streaming TrueHD via DLNA -- it is a crappy DLNA client and I never use it.

So, for you, first you have to go into the DNS-321 configuration menu and turn on and set up the UPnP server. Get familiar with that setup screen because you will revisit it frequently -- often after adding content to the DNS-321 you will have to go to that screen and click the Refresh button to refresh the DLNA configuration. After you set up the DLNA server go to your Sony BD player and try to access content. If it doesn't work, or doesn't work perfectly or locks up your player so that you have to pull the plug -- you are done, there is probably no fix. Get a dedicated media player like the WD Live-SMP with a good DLNA client.

Edit: Of course, I'm assuming that your content is in a format that can be played by the Sony BD player to begin with because the DNS-321 doesn't transcode. That may not be a good assumption.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #13 of 13 Old 07-26-2013, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Would a Ethernet to USB adapter work? Something like this ADAPTER or this. Would it have any effect on IP address of the NAS? Also, are these adapters meant to convert incoming data to USB from Ethernet OR Ethernet to USB ? The examples given look like an example of each.
No, they serve a different purpose and won't solve your problem. They are used to provide an ethernet port to a computer by plugging it into one of its USB ports, for when the computer hasn't already got an ethernet port or an extra one is required.

Quote:

I cant find anything anywhere (website, forums, google, etc) that DLNA can be connected via Ethernet. If that is so, then it is only available via USB.
Yes, that is unfortunately the case for the media server on your router, but only for that media server. If you were to run a decent media server like Serviio on a pc, for example, then it would be able to use the media files on your NAS, as they would be accessable to it via the NAS's network shared folders. However, it appears that you don't have to even do that, as luckily your DLink DNS-321 also has a media server and this should be the best solution as it obviously doesn't have to go via the network to access to its own drive! You just need to turn it on and then get it to automatically scan the drive for any media files. I've found some instructions for this on this website:
http://dlink-me.com/askmike/?p=18
You should now be able to see the NAS as a DLNA server on your Sony bluray player.

You did not mention what video file types you intend streaming, so I cannot say if the your Sony player will be able to play them all or indeed if the NAS's media server will be able to make them all available via DLNA. Hopefully you should be ok.

Edit: Just noticed Kelson's post, after I sent mine, so ditto that too!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Netgear R6300 Wireless Ac 1750 Dual Band Gigabit Wi Fi Router Ieee 802 11 Ac B G N
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page