Apple TV handshake issues with Dennon AVT 2112ci - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 07-20-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Plug Apple TV directly to LG 55" 3d TV it works. Use any of the ports on receiver and I get nothing. Is there a troubleshooting guide for handshake issues, or a step by step procedure? Why can't all this stuff be plug and play as advertised?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm sure you have tried this---but have you tried shutting down both the ATV and AVR and then physically unplugging the ATV power cord prior to connecting it to the AVR and then booting it up once it's connected and the AVR is on?

If this is a handshake issue it should play nice afterward since the ATV is "always on" and might be expecting to see the LG instead of the AVR.

Also, is your 2112ci connected to your home network?? (There have been a few firmware updates since the unit was released and while they are not listed on the support webiste they can be download directly by the AVR via the internet.)
post #3 of 25 Old 07-20-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

I'm sure you have tried this---but have you tried shutting down both the ATV and AVR and then physically unplugging the ATV power cord prior to connecting it to the AVR and then booting it up once it's connected and the AVR is on?

If this is a handshake issue it should play nice afterward since the ATV is "always on" and might be expecting to see the LG instead of the AVR.

Also, is your 2112ci connected to your home network?? (There have been a few firmware updates since the unit was released and while they are not listed on the support webiste they can be download directly by the AVR via the internet.)

So i tried that, hasn't worked. AVR is not connected but I could connect it later and get firmware updates, I've never done that is it easy or difficult? Do I have to navigate to a website or does it just do it on its own?
post #4 of 25 Old 07-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

I don't currently have a Denon but it's a pretty easy procedure on the AVRs that I have owned. Just follow the instructions in the User Manual.
post #5 of 25 Old 07-20-2013, 09:14 AM

I have the same problem between my Apple TV 3 and Denon 4311. The video from the ATV just doesn't appear or it flickers a lot every once in a while. All firmware is up to date. I don't feel like I've solved the problem but I've changed my HDMI cable and it seems to have reduced the occurrence of this. You can reset it by pulling the hdmi cord or power on the atv, buts its a hassle.
post #6 of 25 Old 07-20-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I can try a new cable, just bought this one with the ATV, but it could be bad.
post #7 of 25 Old 07-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleysilo View Post

I guess I can try a new cable, just bought this one with the ATV, but it could be bad.
Seems like a reasonable idea to double-check. Also remember that HDMI is an end-to-end protocol so the cable between the AVR and the TV is also a consideration.

If you need replacement cables look for "high speed" HDMI cables, and FWIW, I've always had great performance from the low-priced but high quality cables from Monoprice as well as Amazon "basics."
post #8 of 25 Old 07-20-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

The cable from AVR to TV, is working for cable, DVD player, does that rule it out? It goes through a wall so I'm only changing it if necessary.

Can try a different cable soon getting ready for a party.

Figuring out how to flash the AVR will have to wait till tonight or tomorrow, thank you all for the help!
post #9 of 25 Old 07-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The cable from AVR to TV, is working for cable, DVD player, does that rule it out?
A qualified maybe.

If the cable box or DVD player is not sending a high-bandwith 1080p/60 signal like the ATV (i.e. 1080p/24, 1080i/30, 720p/60, or 480i/30 instead) it's possible for for the existing cable to work with the lower bandwidth signals and then choke on the 1080p/60 from the AppleTV. This is where the concept of the "high speed" HDMI cable is potentially an issue. You can test this by setting the ATV output resolution to a fixed setting like 720p/60 or 480p/60 that uses less bandwidth and see if that works if this is still an issue after the AVR update.
Quote:

thank you all for the help!
You are welcome. smile.gif
post #10 of 25 Old 07-20-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

So I got Ethernet run, and it connected to the Internet and Internet radio works. Couldn't figure put how to update firmware, but read it can take 1 hour so it will have to wait until tonight.
post #11 of 25 Old 07-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So I got Ethernet run, and it connected to the Internet and Internet radio works. Couldn't figure put how to update firmware, but read it can take 1 hour so it will have to wait until tonight.
FWIW, "Firmware Update" is in the Option Setup menu (starting on p.95) and specially p. 96 of the User Manual that I linked in the earlier post.

Since you have the ethernet run for the moment it would probably also be an opportunity to verify the firmware of the TV if the TV can update itself (otherwise download the TV firmware from the LG support site onto a USB stick). Although I seriously doubt there is a problem with the TV since it worked when directly connected to the ATV, it could also remove a potential variable in its interaction with the AVR---however unlikely.
post #12 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Okay so far I have .....

Updated the firmware for the AVR
Tried a different HDMI cable
Set ATV to 720/60

Still doesn't work

Still does work on either cable and at any ATV setting hooked directly to TV.

Will now see about TV updates but don't think that is the issue.

Thanks again for all suggestions.
post #13 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Wow. Its sounds like most of the variables have been eliminated.

Two other long-shot ideas:

1) In addition to setting a lower resolution on the ATV, have you tried setting a specific colorspace instead of "Auto" on the HDMI Output setting of the ATV? (example: YCbCr)

2) Have you tried plugging the ATV into a working HDMI port on the AVR used by the cable box or DVD player in the event there is a bad port on the AVR?
post #14 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

I tired setting the color thing independent of resolution, not at the same time.

I will try using an existing known good port.

LG said its clearly not the TV

Apple said they never heard of a problem like this LOL

and that I could bring in my AVR and ATV to a store and use known good high speed HDMI cables and if still an issue report it to engineers....
post #15 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Oh and can't call denon till tomorrow, never dealt with them so don't know if it will help.
post #16 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 06:41 AM

Liked: 17
the only suggestion i have was listed above. Trying a different known working port on the Denon. I had a Denon 4311, a100, 891 and a few others and never had a problem with my apple tv 3rd gen..
also try different cables when you try a different port..
post #17 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Okay. So I plugged it into the DVD port (where I had the BLue Ray player) and it works. However I can't get the blue ray to play on the BD port (the one I've been trying to use) nor V Aux. so either two ports are dead or its a configuration issue, right?
post #18 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Okay. So I plugged it into the DVD port (where I had the BLue Ray player) and it works. However I can't get the blue ray to play on the BD port (the one I've been trying to use) nor V Aux. so either two ports are dead or its a configuration issue, right?
Glad to see that it works on at least one port. smile.gif

And yes, it sounds like a dead port or a config issue. At least now you can focus your efforts on the Denon.
post #19 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

It's got to be a port assigning issue or something, I tried the four ports I have that aren't currently used.

Page 101 of the linked manual appears to be what I need to investigate.

Although the would appear to be set up how I need them from the factory...
post #20 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 08:23 AM

First things first. Go do a complete factory reset on the Denon, THEN continue troubleshooting...
post #21 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Okay so I was able to assign DVD to Hdmi 3 and get all three to work.

Unfortunately my zone 2 only runs off of RCA's, are the optical to RCA adapters any good? So as of right now no ATV on zone 2.
post #22 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Okay so I was able to assign DVD to Hdmi 3 and get all three to work.

Unfortunately my zone 2 only runs off of RCA's, are the optical to RCA adapters any good? So as of right now no ATV on zone 2.
monoprice one i used was quite good..
post #23 of 25 Old 07-22-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Okay so reflecting back on the weekend I am an idiot. That should have taken all of 5 mins. to get operational if I knew what I was doing. I think this new receiver is the first electronic thing I’ve had I actually had to read the majority of the manual for. I still don’t understand several things, like for instance how the heck do I get the menu to just open up? I press menu button and nothing. If I change the audio format and then hit menu up it comes. Not only that I have two different menus. It’s really quite ridiculous.

This whole analog only for Zone 2 is such BS, but whatever.

Anything wrong with this deal off of Amazon, I‘ve got to order something else from them adding this I get free shipping? http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374500279&sr=8-2&keywords=optical+audio+cable+converter
post #24 of 25 Old 07-22-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Okay so reflecting back on the weekend I am an idiot. That should have taken all of 5 mins. to get operational if I knew what I was doing. I think this new receiver is the first electronic thing I’ve had I actually had to read the majority of the manual for. I still don’t understand several things, like for instance how the heck do I get the menu to just open up? I press menu button and nothing. If I change the audio format and then hit menu up it comes. Not only that I have two different menus. It’s really quite ridiculous.

This whole analog only for Zone 2 is such BS, but whatever.

Anything wrong with this deal off of Amazon, I‘ve got to order something else from them adding this I get free shipping? http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374500279&sr=8-2&keywords=optical+audio+cable+converter

I don't know about that one, but I used this one with n adverse effects for my mom:
http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY%C2%AE-AGPtek-Digital-Optical-Converter/dp/B005DIRI6I/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374504843&sr=1-3&keywords=optical+audio+cable+converter
post #25 of 25 Old 07-22-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, Denon help line chick was actually super helpful, and knew her stuff!

She explained everything to me!

Denon remote APP is sweet!

Just need to see if my denon can read my external hard drive, if it can problem solved, if not ill get the converter.

Thanks again!!!!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page