Best Media Device for DLNA, wireless, Netflix, Amazon - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-22-2013, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I haven't purchased a media device in a while and I'd like to shorten the reseach. I only need the capabilities in the title (DLNA, wireless, Netflix, Amazon Prime); although having a local HD capability would be a nice extra.

I'm guessing the best bet is to get a BR player, but I'd rather have a smaller device as I don't *need* the player and would rather save space.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-22-2013, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Amazon Prime may be the limiting factor here. See http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices for devices that do Amazon Instant Video.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0rk View Post

I haven't purchased a media device in a while and I'd like to shorten the reseach. I only need the capabilities in the title (DLNA, wireless, Netflix, Amazon Prime); although having a local HD capability would be a nice extra.

I'm guessing the best bet is to get a BR player, but I'd rather have a smaller device as I don't *need* the player and would rather save space.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Start by looking at the Roku 3 as it checks all the boxes for streaming.

Its weak area, IMHO, is its DLNA capabilities (or lack thereof). This limitation is mostly mitigated if you are able to run a server with Plex and install the Plex app on the Roku. If your desired media for local streaming uses H.264/aac/mp3 you are set, otherwise you'll need a more powerful server that has enough horsepower for Plex to handle transcoding.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-23-2013, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks guys. I had never heard of Plex, so that was interesting. But I'm running a Linux NAS and it doesn't appear Plex can be installed on that.

So far it looks like a BR player is my best bet. I'm thinking the Sony BDP-S3100, since I've had good luck with Sony's DLNA implementation with my server.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-23-2013, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
PLEX is available for LINUX. PLEX can be installed on a separate computer and serve the content of your NAS. If it weren't for AMAZON, I'd suggest you use a WD Live and skip the DLNA stuff altogether, but if you are happy with the SONY interface, then that might not be a bad choice provided it supports all the content types on your NAS.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-24-2013, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You don't want Sony as they have very poor media support in general (though support can vary among models), for best media player you want LG as they support most media types and work with most DLNA servers.

Samsung also have good media player but they use a custom version of DLNA and unless your NAS DLNA server is up to date it may have connectivity issues.

Also if you want a quick and easy files based interface avoid Plex.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku Streaming Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - S3100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page