AirPort Extreme Base Station possible replacement WiFI and more than 3-port ethernet router, streaming my iMac's content to my Denon AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, it's me again, the abysmally tech-clueless, with a few more exciting questions for the beneficently (I hope!) tech-savvy. Please bear with me, and please forgive me for the cardinal sin of triple posting this, here, and in the "LCD Flat Panel Displays" forum, and in the "Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming" forum. These questions concern the following components in my setup:

Denon AVR-3312CI
Panasonic Viera TV TC-L42E50
AirPort Extreme Base Station (0x168C, 0x9A)
Roku 3
Cisco Digital Cable Box RNG150N, HDMI out to the Denon
Comcast "Blast!" level bandwidth
27" iMac Mid-2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
My non-Cylon, v.1 brain, very limited capacity, prone to thermal shutdown during data overload, and with an extremely volatile short-term memory.

Point 1. My AirPort Extreme Base Station has only three ethernet outs, one of which goes to my iMac, one of which goes to my Roku 3, and the last of which goes to my Denon Av Receiver.

Point 1, question 1: My Panasonic Viera TC-L42E50 also has an ethernet IN port. Is the content available through the Viera framework (which I've been trying to understand with the "help" of Panasonic customer "support," but as many here can testify, Panasonic support is a very leaky vessel indeed, and the "answers" one gets are generally equal in usefulness to those from a Magic 8 Ball) worth setting up another ethernet router, connected to the AirPort Extreme Base Station, which I use as a very limited 3-out-port ethernet router and a WiFi point for my Kindles (both reader and 8.9" HD Fire) and my old knock-around G4 iBooks?

Point 1, question 2: CAN another ethernet-only hub be connected to one of the ethernet outs of the AirPort Extreme Base Station?

Point 1, question 3: If NOT, I would greatly appreciate anyone's suggestions for an 802.11n wireless N + gigabit ethernet router with more than 3 available ethernet outs -- enough ports to serve the iMac, the Denon, the Roku 3, and the Panasonic Viera TV.

NB: I mostly stream stuff from Amazon Prime through the AirPort Extreme Base Station, and from there by ethernet to the Roku 3, and have VERY few glitches, other than a bit of slow-loading at peak usage times. Once a video loads, it plays without a hitch, and I NEVER pay for the HD version -- the Denon up-converts video that is indistinguishable to my old eyes from the HD shows, HDTV or high-quality DVDs. Blu-Ray is a slight improvement, but not much.

Point 2, question 1: The nearly 160-page pdf Denon AVR-3312CI manual SEEMS to say that I can show photos, and play audio and video that's on my iMac through the Denon, and thus to the Panasonic Viera TV and through my more-or-less 5.1 speaker setup. Is this correct?

Point 2, question 2: If that's NOT correct, can someone tell me how I can get my own content from the iMac to the Denon, please?

I was going to ask about the URC-WR7 Pre-Programmed and Learning Universal Remote and why I can't understand which buttons DON'T turn my Panasonic display to analog snow, but that's more of a metaphysical question. When I asked Denon "customer support" -- even worse than Panasonic's by several orders of magnitude -- why I was seeing snow noise, which is not possible from a digital input, I learned later that evening from my son-in-law, the Denon rep said "Oh, just box up the Denon and FedEx or bring it to our Bridgeport repair facility for service, for which we'll charge you $40-$50 or so, PLUS the return shipping" by FedEx of the nearly 40-pound Denon back to my home. While the prospect of enjoying the Russian roulette of I-95 and the exotic sights and smells -- especially the smells -- of Bridgeport were all deliciously enticing to contemplate, the 120+ mile round trip was not. So I called my son-in-law in Kansas City that night, and he solved the problem in under 20 seconds -- told me I'd hit the wrong input button (the one marked "TV" on the Denon remote), and briskly walked me through the 2 or 3 step process on the Denon's set-up menu to get back to SAT/CBL where I needed to be.

Maybe I'd get more done around here if I hadn't got it up again (and again -- I did the same stupid thing last week, but managed to dither my way back to Denon nominal): I stayed up till 3:00 this morning re-watching the last 6 episodes of "Battlestar Galactica"

Hope someone can help me with my questions.

Thanks in advance!

Bart Brown

So-far unindicted co-conspirators:

URC-WR7 Pre-Programmed and Learning Universal Remote
Panasonic Blu-Ray Player DMP-BD75
Panasonic All-Region/All-Code DVD Player DVD-S68
Magnavox DVDR and VCR w/Digital Tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Point 1, question 2:

This is your lucky day.

Buy a multi-port gigabit switch from Amazon (example or example).

Plug a network cable into one of the ports of the Airport Extreme and the other into the Port 1 (or LAN) of the new switch. Plug stuff into the new switch. Done.

Point 2, question 1:

You will need to run a DLNA server on your iMac. Two that I've used with success on my iMac are Twonky and Serviio.

....or....

Point 2, question 2:

Since you have an iMac the absolutely simplest method would use an AppleTV connected via HDMI to stream audio, video, and photos from the iMac running iTunes.

smile.gif
post #3 of 6 Old 07-24-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks 

Point 1, question 2:

This is your lucky day.

Buy a multi-port gigabit switch from Amazon (example or example).

Plug a network cable into one of the ports of the Airport Extreme and the other into the Port 1 (or LAN) of the new switch. Plug stuff into the new switch. Done.

Thanks! I got the NETGEAR GS105 ProSafe 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks 

Point 2, question 1:

You will need to run a DLNA server on your iMac. Two that I've used with success on my iMac are Twonky and Serviio.

....or....

Point 2, question 2:

Since you have an iMac the absolutely simplest method would use an AppleTV connected via HDMI to stream audio, video, and photos from the iMac running iTunes.

OK, I get the DLNA part, but when you say "use an AppleTV connected via HDMI to stream audio, video, and photos from the iMac" do you mean "connect AppleTV to the iMac's Mini DisplayPort, with an HDMI-to Mini DisplayPort cable" (I actually have one), or do you mean "connect the iMac to Apple TV via ethernet, then connect the Apple TV to the Denon with a standard male-to-male HDMI cable? I should have added that the Denon claims to be AirPlay compatible, but is AirPlay limited strictly to mp3 files?

Another perhaps possible option is the Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player, but the architecture of my house makes getting WiFi from my Airport Extreme to a node where my A/V setup resides a bit technically problematic (AND I prefer hardwired -- ethernet -- solutions to WiFi anyway, for anything much more complex than text). Also, AFAIK, Google Chromecast is strictly for web content , while what I want, among other things, is to bore friends and family into a stupor with my photos (iPhoto) and video (mp4s), which are all on my iMac.

If you had to choose between the DLNA server solution or the Apple TV solution for getting this bored-to-a-stupor content from my iMac to my Denon, what are the advantages and disadvantages, and which would you choose?

If I'm not making any sense here, please let me know.

Thanks for your very detailed and helpful answers. I love this forum!

Bart
post #4 of 6 Old 07-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartbrn View Post

...or do you mean "connect the iMac to Apple TV via ethernet, then connect the Apple TV to the Denon with a standard male-to-male HDMI cable?
This. The iMac and the AppleTV don't have to be in the same room as long as they are both connected to the same network.
Quote:

If you had to choose between the DLNA server solution or the Apple TV solution for getting this bored-to-a-stupor content from my iMac to my Denon, what are the advantages and disadvantages, and which would you choose?
FWIW, I selected all of the above.

I use the AppleTV for video and photos from our iMac (ease of use) and also run a DLNA server that sends video to a Blu Ray player and music files to a Yamaha AVR via DLNA (this way I can listen to music without having the TV on to see the AppleTV interface).
post #5 of 6 Old 07-25-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

This. The iMac and the AppleTV don't have to be in the same room as long as they are both connected to the same network.
FWIW, I selected all of the above.

I use the AppleTV for video and photos from our iMac (ease of use) and also run a DLNA server that sends video to a Blu Ray player and music files to a Yamaha AVR via DLNA (this way I can listen to music without having the TV on to see the AppleTV interface).

While I'm not absolutely thrilled to shell out another $100 for an Apple TV, it seems to be the clean solution. I will try the Mac DLNA solutions Twonky and Serviio, but do you know how I get the Denon to communicate with the DLNA server?

Thanks again and again... we non-techies would be lost in the wilderness without these forums.

Bart
post #6 of 6 Old 07-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

While I'm not absolutely thrilled to shell out another $100 for an Apple TV, it seems to be the clean solution. I will try the Mac DLNA solutions Twonky and Serviio, but do you know how I get the Denon to communicate with the DLNA server?
The AppleTV is the "easy" solution as the ATV will communicate with iTunes and iPhoto on your iMac. In addition, since you have a mid-2011 iMac you can also use AirPlay Mirroring so with a single click whatever is on your iMac's screen can be instantly mirrored on your TV.

But there's no reason not to start with the less-expensive route while you get your feet wet using DLNA. And it turns out that communication between the AVR and the DLNA server is also the easy part. Just connect the AVR via ethernet to your network. Done. Now your AVR will "see" the media server when it's running. You can use the on-screen menus of the Denon to navigate and play your music files (user manual page 43) but you can also use virtually any computer or pad (example: your Kindle HD) as a control device for the AVR. It is all explained in the Denon user manual under the "Web Control" (p.80-81).
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Denon Avr3312ci Receiver , Panasonic Viera Tc L42e50 42 Inch 1080p Full Hd Ips Led Lcd Tv , Panasonic Dmp Bd75 Ultra Fast Booting Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page