Music "organizing" software for Western Digital My book Live and Denon 2313 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-24-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have the following setup and I am looking for some guidance.

I have all my music stored on a Western Digital My Book Live NAS.

I have the WD TV live media streamer

I have a Denon 2313CI receiver. All the systems talk to each other fine with no issues and I can stream music through any system.

My issue is I have so much music (400 GB) and its all organized in folders and very difficult to navigate through as none of the western digital or denon offer very good front end support.

I know that Sonos is an option but that is another $300 investment in another "box" just to get the access to the software.

I was unsuccesful in trying to setup itunes on my ipad to talk to the WD NAS as the music library, am I missing something?

Can someone recommend music software that I can use to help organize and play my music better?

Software should be able to be used on an android and/or ipad.

thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-25-2013, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You might be able to cobble something together through DLNA which is what the Denon and WDTV Live both use. However not all DLNA servers are equal, most are general purpose and music specific ones like Asset or Minim don't run on WD NAS.

Once you have your server set up you can use UPnP/DLNA controllers to act as the front end, one of the best ones is BubbleUPnP but that is only available for Android, there are a ton for iOS too but not sure which to recommend, Skifta is a popular free one.

Minimm is available for some NAS like ones from Synology, Netgear and QNAP that allow app installs.

An alternate approach is XBMC on an Android tablet.
* Install XBMC apk
* Go to music and add source, browse windows networks and select music folder on NAS.
* After it adds folder bring up context menu and scan media into library (this gives you more browsing options).
* Go into system settings->services->UPnP and enable look for UPnP devices
* Back in music section bring up context menu and select play using, any DLNA/UPnP devices might appear here.

So your effectively using the full XBMC as a controller and UI for media playback pushing it to the Denon and WDTV. However the catch is it may not work, the play using feature was only designed to work with other XBMC clients, support for other UPnP/DLNA devices is coming but probably not until the next version of XBMC or version after that.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Wd My Book Live Duo 4tb Personal Cloud Storage Nas Share Files And Photos
Gear in this thread - 2313ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page