Newbie----Building System to play Networked Music. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-27-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am hoping to purchase a new Audio Receiver that has network capabilities. Any Advice?? Denon or Onkyo?? Looking the $700 to 1000 dollar range.

My other thing I want to do is cd rip my huge collection. I would like to put the music on a external drive like the WD MY BOOK. Not sure if this is the way to go. I want to be able to access the music over the network on my new receiver...the easiest and best way possible.

Not sure what program I am going to use to burn all my cds and would love some peoples input on how to do this the best way.

PLEASE help..I am new to all this and could use the insight.

Thanks

TODD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-27-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I can't advise on receiver models. If you want to rip your CDs to an external hard drive, you have the option of streaming your music files over your wireless network or plugging the hard drive into a USB port on the receiver. If you do the latter, be sure your receiver is able to read the hard drives file system (some receivers will read FAT-32 drives but not NTFS). you can easily reformat the hard drive before putting your files in it if you need to.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-28-2013, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'll also add to pbarach's advice by saying that if you choose the network streaming option, you'll most likely need to have a UPnP/DLNA server running on a device on the same network, eg a computer with the external hard drive attached, or a NAS, etc. This is because most of the receivers with streaming capability cannot access network shared folders directly and can only access the music over the network via DLNA.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Be sure what bitrate your receiver can decode. I'm not entirely up to date, but mine from four years ago will not read any form of lossless files except .wav, which are huge.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-28-2013, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Don't buy Onkyo. They run super hot and their HDMI boards usually go out fast. I would look at AVRs with Class D amp. They run nice and cool. My SC-1522 run supper cool. My previous Onkyo ran so hot I could BBQ on it.

I would go with Marantz, Pioneer SC or Elite series, Integra, Denon or Yamaha.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 Old 07-29-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Todd,

As far as ripping your CDs to magnetic media, here is a good thread on the subject:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415758/whats-the-best-cd-ripping-software

I can't recommend any receivers, but I will second Pbarach and Cebolla's advice about USB verses DLNA (network). Knowing that most receivers are pretty lame when it come to networking, the USB approach may be better if you don't intend to stream to multiple devices. Any network or USB support will vary wildly between receivers, so those are features that you will want to study on the showroom floor. Since a typical receiver's UI is pretty inadaquate for navigating a large music collection, you may want to look for a unit that can be controlled from your smart-phone.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 PM

Here is what I did - I have a dedicated Windows 7 system running JRiver Media Center. My audio files are stored in FLAC format on a 2TB NAS. The server is connected by USB to a V-Link clocker and then to an Emotive XD-1 DAC via coax SPDIF. The DAC is connected directly to a vintage (and totally awesome sounding) Yamaha B-2 amp driving a pair of JBL XPL-200A's. It works very well, and I can control it via smart phone, web page, or direct. I can also play my music collection through my smart phone.

Audio quality is very, very good, and JRiver is very easy to use.

NAS <==Network==> Server/JRiver --USB--> V-Link --SPDIF --> DAC -- RCA --> Amp --> Speakers
post #8 of 12 Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag4771 View Post

I am hoping to purchase a new Audio Receiver that has network capabilities. Any Advice?? Denon or Onkyo?? Looking the $700 to 1000 dollar range.

My other thing I want to do is cd rip my huge collection. I would like to put the music on a external drive like the WD MY BOOK. Not sure if this is the way to go. I want to be able to access the music over the network on my new receiver...the easiest and best way possible.

Not sure what program I am going to use to burn all my cds and would love some peoples input on how to do this the best way.

PLEASE help..I am new to all this and could use the insight.

Thanks

TODD

My favorite after trying a lot of methods due to it's ease of use and flexibility, is the Sonos Connect. The Connect attaches to your AVR, then you install the Sonos app on a PC that you'll leave on all the time as a server. The Sonos app will scan your music and setup a library for your Sonos Connect. You then use a smartphone app to control the whole thing. The icing is being able to use streaming services along with listening to your music collection. My wife has a hard time with technology, but she LOVES the Sonos.

Looky here!
post #9 of 12 Old 07-29-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
If you are wise you will not buy a receiver for it's streaming capability. Buy the unit that has the audio spec's that fit your needs. The receiver is there mainly to power the speakers and then do some input switching. Focus on the audio qualities, and then buy a streaming unit to handle your audio and possible video streams. Most receivers are hobbled by the manuf. not paying for full licensing rights for a format.

Also factor in how you are going to select the music you are playing, most audio equipment is not setup for searching through hundreds of titles and thousand of tracks. Very good standalone streamers can be had for $50 on up.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-30-2013, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

My favorite after trying a lot of methods due to it's ease of use and flexibility, is the Sonos Connect. The Connect attaches to your AVR, then you install the Sonos app on a PC that you'll leave on all the time as a server. The Sonos app will scan your music and setup a library for your Sonos Connect. You then use a smartphone app to control the whole thing. The icing is being able to use streaming services along with listening to your music collection. My wife has a hard time with technology, but she LOVES the Sonos.

Sonos is the best thing going for me and I've been playing this A/V/PC game for 37yrs. You will be stunned at how flexible and easy to use it can be.

Jgiddyup
post #11 of 12 Old 07-31-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the help!! Maybe a dumb question, but is it possible to run the sonas thru a NAS instead of computer running all the time?? Thanks!!!!
post #12 of 12 Old 08-01-2013, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag4771 View Post

Thanks everyone for the help!! Maybe a dumb question, but is it possible to run the sonas thru a NAS instead of computer running all the time?? Thanks!!!!

Yes there's no computer needed. Just point it to where your files are stored.

Jgiddyup
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver , Wd My Book Live Duo 4tb Personal Cloud Storage Nas Share Files And Photos
Gear in this thread - 1522k by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page