Ready to Change Workflow to Adapt to New Streaming Technologies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-28-2013, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I learned my WF here a couple of years ago on the first "Ripping Blue Rays".

I use Anydvdhd to rip to folders
and then use BDRebuilder to compress to a 4.3gb iso Movie Only

I have a Netgear streamer which streams iso files perfectly from my PC, and I can burn the iso's to disc when needed.

Based on reading the last few pages, I would like to convert to something other than iso which will stream easier with
the new gadgets on the market. Not sure what would be best. I'll be using a WD live streamer, but I would also like to
copy files to my laptop and to flashdrives for playback on TMT5. There will be times when I'll need to burn to disk, so I'd
like a quick way to convert to iso.

I guess my main question, aside from a new WF, is what format is becoming the best and most useful for the new
technologies for Android and Windows applications?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-28-2013, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
For maximum compatibility with most gadgets you want to compress into H.264/MP4 video format. Feed Handbrake folders from AnyDVD-HD then pick high profile and click start, that will give you such videos that will play in Android/iOS/Windows stock media players.

The WDTV Live can play a lot more formats, you can avoid compressing video entirely with it and just use MakeMKV on the Blu-ray disc directly to extract the main movie as a digital movie.mkv file, this does not compress it is original video/audio intact. But the native media players on the likes of Android and Windows cant handle that so you must compress into H.264/MP4 as a result, there are some third party media players for those platforms but it's better to stick with native player.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-28-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good explanation. Thanks.

Is there an easy way to convert directly from my iso's? I have a few hundred of them compressed to 4.3gb. It
would be nice to quickly convert them to H.264/MP4 if possible. Not sure since I already compressed them
with Bdrebuilder.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

You already have compressed them with BDRebuilder.

You could feed the ISO into MakeMKV and extract the compressed video that way. Then take the .mkv file and feed it into MKVToMP4 that will swap the container from mkv to mp4 and re-do the audio into a mp4 compatible format, the video shouldnt need to be convereted as it's compressed H.264 to begin with however this is all just theory it may or may not work.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-28-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I used Handbrake to convert a BD folder to MV4, but I messed with the sound settings and the converted file had no sound. Do you know what settings I should use on HB for sound?

I'm getting ready to try the MKV conversion from iso. I'll let you know how it goes.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-28-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
This is my ripping process:

1) AnyDVD HD for encryption removal.
2) Use ClownBD to rip movie to BR Folder Structure if the movie has forced sub. If it doesn't I rip to M2TS main movie, with HD and AC3 sound track, and subs.
3) If the movie has forced subs, I used the MPLS file, and use MKVMerge to remux, flag the forced sub track, and remux to MKV file.

The reason I use the MPLS file with MKVMerge is due to being able to keep chapters. At the moment, I'm thinking of using the MPLS file for every movie and convert everything I've got to MKV with MKVMerge. It appears that will be the best container to use.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #7 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The last part of your comment is what I'm most interested in understanding. You think that mkv is the best container. I gather you think that most hardware either already supports, or will support in the near future. I'm just wondering what disadvantage I am at having all my movies in iso format. An earlier poster seemed to think that mp4 is the best format to convert to, so I've been playing around with an easy way to convert from iso to mp4.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

MKV or M2TS will probably be the best format in my opinion since any media player will be able to play that. I do not believe any of the new media player will play ISOs with full menus due to cinavia. They will be able to play lite menus though. I'm currently going from BR folder structure to MKV and M2TS main movie only.

However, this might change depending on which media player your are using. Like the Dune Smart Series, they can play ISOs will full menus.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #9 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

MKV or M2TS are only suitable for dedicated media players not tablets, phones or other platforms with basic media players, you want to stick with MP4/M4V if thats your focus with media that works across a range of devices.

The default audio settings when using the normal or high profile preset in Handbrake should produce a working audio track, if by some chance it's picking the wrong track you can manually select the track under source on the audio tab & codec should be AAC (faac).
post #10 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks for all the suggestions.

I think I found the perfect solution. Handbrake converts my compressed iso's easily into mp4's. So that's all I have to do. All my iso's are about 4.3gb and HB converts them to about 3gb. Looks fine on my pc, but I havent' tried it on my big screen tv.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tr View Post

thanks for all the suggestions.

I think I found the perfect solution. Handbrake converts my compressed iso's easily into mp4's. So that's all I have to do. All my iso's are about 4.3gb and HB converts them to about 3gb. Looks fine on my pc, but I havent' tried it on my big screen tv.

How big is your big screen? The bigger the screen the more noticeable the picture quality is going to be.

Home Theater Set Up:

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page