WD is dead and my wife is standing over the body laughing! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some help here. I didn't want this to be a "what should I buy" questionnaire so I'll do my best.

I have 2 WDTV SMP's (living room and bedroom) both hardwired via cat6 to (2) 3TB WD NAS. We just cut the cord on cable to save nearly $200/month. The problem is that these irritating little things CONSTANTLY FREEZE up. We can be watching netflix, hulu or even worse mkv's form the servers and it will lock up. Most of the time I have to pull the power to get it back to life. My wife has lost her patience and wants them out of the house to die a terrible death on the streets. Before pulling the plug I upped our network to 20 MB/s so we should be good. Of course WD tech support is useless, they just tell me to fill out an RMA and send it back but I've done that twice already. I've looked at Boxee (questionable reviews and future, no Hulu), Roku (good but won't pull MKV without PLEX), as well as the mede8er (would work but no apps). I need something as reliable and stable as possible that will play BR MKV rips from a NAS, if it can do the apps it is a bonus. Considering these WD's are $100 a pop, $ is a concern.

Any suggestions are most definitely appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 59
For netflix/hulu one of your only options is really a roku its easy and cant be beat for online services, For mkv do you use HD audio? if not something like the popbox v8 for 99$ will play your mkv files without fail.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yes on HD audio, I really liked the UI on the Romulus and the speed, might get it aging for the apps.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-30-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
HTPC will be your option. Other than that you will need a two box set up. One for online streaming apps and the other for streaming ripped content.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #5 of 14 Old 07-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I got some LaCinemas for 30$ each that seem to be playing my mkv no problem. I've only had them for a little while, tho. Jukebox features on it are non-existent, afaict.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-30-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

So essentially what we have are some kickass media players that don't offer "real" apps or unstable a glitchy media players that have app features (Hulu/NF). WTF? Sad state of affairs.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-30-2013, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The only time I recall reading here of freeze-ups or stutter is when the SMP is being used wirelessly. I use mine wired and have no problems streaming high bitrate MKVs; I don't use online services. You're using yours wired, but not only do you have 2 units but they've been replaced twice, if I understand you correctly, making... 6 units with the freeze-up problem? I suspect your problem is not with the media player. I'm not savvy enough with network stuff to suggest things you can try. Good luck!
post #8 of 14 Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post

The only time I recall reading here of freeze-ups or stutter is when the SMP is being used wirelessly. I use mine wired and have no problems streaming high bitrate MKVs; I don't use online services. You're using yours wired, but not only do you have 2 units but they've been replaced twice, if I understand you correctly, making... 6 units with the freeze-up problem? I suspect your problem is not with the media player. I'm not savvy enough with network stuff to suggest things you can try. Good luck!

+1

I have no problem with the WDTV Live SMP wired. Virtually no freeze ups with either streaming local or online services. I can stream multiple local 1080p and no freeze ups and online HD with no freeze ups. I would be ditching the wireless and running cat6 cables to remove your troubles. I would also check your router and run a Gb switch.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-01-2013, 05:56 PM

+2
I had freezing problems too but after I identified a bad coax and replaced it and it never freezes now.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-16-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
No freeze-ups ever (USB/wired).

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #11 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 12:43 PM

I have the WDTV hub hardwired and I have never had a single problem with it. I use the netflix app and stream mkv's and also play them locally. Never froze on me once. Do you have an early version? Mine is only about 6 months old.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-21-2013, 01:38 AM

I have a few WDTV devices and I love them for MKV playback.

I used to have a popcorn hour but I got rid of them all, they locked up more than the WDTV do.

I have one main WDTV that locks up about once a week. Which is not bad at all.
My only issue is upon reboot when I go to windows shares I have to let it sit 3-5 mins before my PC pops up.

The other WD devices are throughout my home (bedrooms, office and such). They lock up maybe once every 60 days or so.

I really have a healthy collection of MKV stuff and I am starting to do BR ISO on hard drives too.
Problem with WDTV is some of the HD Audio don't playback right.
Also with BR ISO - like star trek for example - there is no menu support you have to be willing to watch the whole disc.
You can't jump from episode to episode - you have the let the WD playback the ISO episodes in full (usually 4 per iso).
There is also no access to the bonus content. OH WELL... still I can deal with my mini marathons to get through a disc.

There are sometimes - even with a PASSPORT drive plugged right into the WDTV that It will studder or slow down.
Not sure if these are my captures (MKV) or (ISO) becuse on my i7 with VLC they don;t mess up - so I think it is the WDTV.
I guess even with direct (non network) streaming the bit rates are too high?

I really would love to find a reasonably priced player that can handle MKV and BR ISO (with menus preferably) and has all Audio decoding or atl east audio passing ability as my receivers can decode anything.
I don't mind the DECODE on mkv tv shows, but I would love to find a player that can pass the audio of any MKV or ISO to my receiver for a great experience.

Any suggestions on good devices?
post #13 of 14 Old 09-30-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Why need menus when you can rip episodes to individual mkv files?

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #14 of 14 Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 AM

If you are comfortable using android you could try an android tv box like the gbox midnight mx2. I use one and it works great for online/local streaming.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player , Roku Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page