High End Digital Recordings/Streams - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2013, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hope I am in the right forum here among all the posts relating to hardware.

I'm quite new to listening to high quality audio files and am looking to find top quality recordings that permit a very natural, musical and detailed reproduction. Best results I have achieved so far is by streaming from a site called the "Digital Concert Hall", a subscription site maintained by the Berlin Philharmonics' from live concert recordings (it is possible to register free of charge and listen to one concert, but I have since signed up to the pay service). From the website, the sound is in stereo 48 kHz/24-bit to AAC encoding with a data rate of 256 kbit/s, so I guess it is not the data rate that makes the difference. The sound is certainly a lot better than a full size .wav or .flac file copied from CD and played from the same PC through the same DAC, amp and speakers.

The concerts all come with video, which I personally find a bit distracting due to the change of camera perspectives in the video (not the audio). Hence I usually do not look at the video.

Joined this forum in the hope that someone among the more experienced AVS digital listeners would be able to point me in the direction of other files (whether as downloads or on disc) or streams of similar recording quality.

Thank you for any thoughts on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi SMARTAS,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, I can't help with pointing you to similar streaming sites. There is a thread in the "2 Channel Audio" forum called "Which Album (CD or Vinyl) Are you listening to now" where I get ideas of what is good to listen to. It may or may not help, depending on your tastes.

But to address this point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTAS View Post

. . . From the website, the sound is in stereo 48 kHz/24-bit to AAC encoding with a data rate of 256 kbit/s, so I guess it is not the data rate that makes the difference. The sound is certainly a lot better than a full size .wav or .flac file copied from CD and played from the same PC through the same DAC, amp and speakers.
The "quality" from a technical standpoint is certainly better with loss-less formats like FLAC and WAV than AAC, so the improvement you hear is likely from the quality of the source material and not the encoding. 48kHz/24-bit AAC (the format also used on DVDs) would be good enough that most people couldn't tell the difference from FLAC or WAV, so I suspect that the technical aspects are not really a factor. As you said, "it is not the data rate that makes the difference", it's the music.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Mark

Thank you, will have a look in the forum you have mentioned.

smartas