post #271 of 633 Old 12-10-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare-air View Post

I hope they add CEC transport & navigation control to Chromecast. I always reach for the remote to pause, then remember to search for the IPad then bring the app used to start the cast. This is always in the background so I have to bring it to the foreground then hit pause, PITA.

It is my biggest annoyance, they should be able to implement CEC for play/pause so I can use my remote to play/pause & simple navigation.

I absolutely agree with that.

With this Chromecast would become my primary Netflix player and I could forget the current Netflix Apple TV issues....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 633 Old 12-11-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Anyone notice a latency of the Chromecast waking up when you turn on your system? This happened when I had it plugged in to an HDMI port on the TV and now on the Yamaha receiver. Sometimes it's available immediately and sometimes I have to turn the receiver off and on again to have it on.
post #273 of 633 Old 12-11-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 192

Anyone have a link or two that summarizes what Chromecast can do outside of broadcasting your browser to the TV. I have my PC connected to my set via HDMI so that features is useless... I'm trying to find a reason or two to keep the one I picked up over Black Friday.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #274 of 633 Old 12-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Anyone have a link or two that summarizes what Chromecast can do outside of broadcasting your browser to the TV. I have my PC connected to my set via HDMI so that features is useless... I'm trying to find a reason or two to keep the one I picked up over Black Friday.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
post #275 of 633 Old 12-11-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/apps.html
post #276 of 633 Old 12-11-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks... back it goes... couldn't find even one excuse to keep it. When does DLNA hit with MKV/HD Audio? :)

| 
|
|
|
post #277 of 633 Old 12-11-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Anyone notice a latency of the Chromecast waking up when you turn on your system? This happened when I had it plugged in to an HDMI port on the TV and now on the Yamaha receiver. Sometimes it's available immediately and sometimes I have to turn the receiver off and on again to have it on.

I was actually quite surprised how quickly it woke from a feline induced power supply interuption (cat stood on the UPS power button turning off our complete audio/video system while my wife and I were watching Netflix on the Chromecast).

I turned the UPS back-on and the Chromecast immediately continued playing the Netflix show.

Chomecast plugged into my receiver HDMI and powered from USB on my receiver.

Normally (using a Harmony One remote) when I power up with Chromecast as an activity or switch to the Chromecast as an activity it is there immediately. Given it is getting power whenever the receiver is on it may be the Chromecast is powered up first and then either the Harmony remote or the Chromecast CEC (probably both) switches the receiver to the correct HDMI input.

How are you powering the Chromecast? HDMI or another USB source?

The cat now knows how to get attention if we are ignoring it and watching TV........
post #278 of 633 Old 12-11-2013, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22

If they can get the Redbull.tv app to stream live content such as the UCI World Cup, I'd buy one. I hope it is not just the shows on Redbull TV. 

Klipsch RF-82II

Denon 2113ci

post #279 of 633 Old 12-11-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Plex
hemmiandra likes this.
post #280 of 633 Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

I was actually quite surprised how quickly it woke from a feline induced power supply interuption (cat stood on the UPS power button turning off our complete audio/video system while my wife and I were watching Netflix on the Chromecast).

I turned the UPS back-on and the Chromecast immediately continued playing the Netflix show.

Chomecast plugged into my receiver HDMI and powered from USB on my receiver.

Normally (using a Harmony One remote) when I power up with Chromecast as an activity or switch to the Chromecast as an activity it is there immediately. Given it is getting power whenever the receiver is on it may be the Chromecast is powered up first and then either the Harmony remote or the Chromecast CEC (probably both) switches the receiver to the correct HDMI input.

How are you powering the Chromecast? HDMI or another USB source?

The cat now knows how to get attention if we are ignoring it and watching TV........
I use the PS that comes with the Chromecast. I don't think HDMI can supply power to anything. I might try it off the USB port on the receiver but I doubt if that will change much. It may be more the TV being late to warm-up to it. But like I say this latency doesn't alway occur.
post #281 of 633 Old 12-12-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use the PS that comes with the Chromecast. I don't think HDMI can supply power to anything. I might try it off the USB port on the receiver but I doubt if that will change much. It may be more the TV being late to warm-up to it. But like I say this latency doesn't alway occur.

I had read some articles early on saying it could be powered from HDMI 1.4+ MHL

e.g.http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/08/you-get-the-dongle-you-pay-for-in-googles-chromecast/

'The device does require power, which can be provided from the HDMI port itself if your TV or monitor is new enough to have the HDMI 1.4+ MHL spec.

However it seems most TV don't support HDMI 1.4+ MHL spec. and even if they did the I now see some people saying Chromcast may not have the required power pin connected - so maybe HDMI power isn't an option. I know my HDMI 1.4 ports won't power it.

When I looked I actually found I was using a USB port on the TV (not receiver) for power with the Chromecast on an HDMI port on the receiver.

Seems to work fine with the Harmony remote.

Maybe I am lucky and my Harmony is powering on the TV / receiver in the right sequence that so that Chromecast is always available if selected.
post #282 of 633 Old 12-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Google has added cast buttons to the web browser players for Play Music and Play Movies/TV so you don't have to only use your mobile device to cast those anymore.
Neil S. Bulk and amesdp like this.
post #283 of 633 Old 12-13-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Though the HDMI port is supposed to be 1.4+ MHL it isn't supported yet. There is no mention of using HDMI for power on their Chromecast site just either using the PS or a USB port. So far running off the USB port on the AV Receiver works better though I wish there was a port on the back.
post #284 of 633 Old 12-13-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

.. So far running off the USB port on the AV Receiver works better though I wish there was a port on the back.

Now, plug the CC back to the PS & see if it works better?
post #285 of 633 Old 12-14-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not going to bother. With PS it is always on and from the receiver only when the receiver's on. I haven't seen any latency since.
post #286 of 633 Old 12-14-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix on my Chromecast stopped working the other night. I was getting a 'session_timeout' error message. A quick Google and I found this https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3228531?hl=en

I did a factory rest (which was surprisingly painless) and everything works again.

Jut in case anyone else sees this.
post #287 of 633 Old 12-14-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm not going to bother. With PS it is always on and from the receiver only when the receiver's on. I haven't seen any latency since.

Btw, CC usually updates @ late hrs.
post #288 of 633 Old 12-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Here's an interesting article about new apps coming soon (they didn't name any), SDK opening in 2014, international support, and other things:
http://gigaom.com/2013/12/13/chromecast-in-2014-an-open-sdk-big-international-plans-and-maybe-even-new-devices/
post #289 of 633 Old 12-17-2013, 08:50 PM

Liked: 11
For some reason I am unable to stream Redbull.tv from my android tablet app or my laptop chrome page to my TV. The Redbull app on the tablet doesn't have a chromecasting button so that is a nonstarter. When I try to stream from my chrome brower on the laptop by clicking the chromecast button, which is present there, all I get on my TV is the the Redbull wallpaper. Netflix and Youtube work flawlessly.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
post #290 of 633 Old 12-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiti View Post

For some reason I am unable to stream Redbull.tv from my android tablet app or my laptop chrome page to my TV. The Redbull app on the tablet doesn't have a chromecasting button so that is a nonstarter. When I try to stream from my chrome brower on the laptop by clicking the chromecast button, which is present there, all I get on my TV is the the Redbull wallpaper. Netflix and Youtube work flawlessly.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

If you don't see the cast icon in the android app, assuming you are already connected to the right wifi network of course, clear the cache of the app. If still no icon, next step would be to uninstall, reboot, and reinstall the app. Next step is to reboot chromecast. Next step is factory reset chromecast. I didn't have to do any of those to get it working but I did not have the app installed prior to chromecast support. Those would be the steps to take for any app, btw, not just redbull.

Now the redbull website has some weird problem with casting the first video you try to play. The redbull tv website has always had problems with video so it doesn't surprise me on one hand, but it is a strange problem. They really need to hire some real web developers instead of whatever 10 year kid set up their site. Anyway, you may have to try a few things to get it working, but the one I have the most consistent success with is to:

Play any video (you don't have to want to watch this one) and wait about 20 seconds before clicking the cast icon to connect to your CC.
If you get the wallpaper, wait at least 10 seconds.
Click on another video WITHOUT disconnecting the cast from the first one.
Usually that video and any video I click after that will play as long as I stay in the same cast session and never disconnect.
If you disconnect from the cast do the process over again.

Well, Redbull really needs to fix their ridiculous website and video problems but that is how I get it to work. On the android app, you don't have to jump through hoops like that - it works the first time for me.
post #291 of 633 Old 12-18-2013, 07:35 PM

Liked: 11
I got Red bull.TV to work from the laptop chrome browser but still after several uninstalls,installs then reboots the chromecast button shows up fleetingly then disappears on my android tablet app. I also cleared the cache but still no android joy. Thanks.
post #292 of 633 Old 12-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 41
can someone explain to me what plex is and how it works on chromecast? is it pulling the file straight off the NAS or does it have to pull it through a PC? I did some reading on Plex and what little I read made my head spin.

post #293 of 633 Old 12-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Thanks... back it goes... couldn't find even one excuse to keep it. When does DLNA hit with MKV/HD Audio? smile.gif

agree but is what you're asking for even possible with current wifi specs? seems like no.

post #294 of 633 Old 12-20-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

agree but is what you're asking for even possible with current wifi specs? seems like no.

That's where the smiley face came in. :)

The Plex (server) can run on a PC or NAS. The files it serves can be located virtually anywhere. Now if the files can be played native or have to be transcoded the server's horsepower comes into play and many NAS devices aren't powerful enough. Chromecast is simply a client.

Ends up I got a Chromecast for free. Still deciding if I want to even break the seal or give it away/sell it.

| 
|
|
|
post #295 of 633 Old 12-20-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ends up I got a Chromecast for free. Still deciding if I want to even break the seal or give it away/sell it.

Check the serial number first to see if it's got the original rootable firmware. Those ones are more valuable.
post #296 of 633 Old 12-20-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Check the serial number first to see if it's got the original rootable firmware. Those ones are more valuable.

Thanks... mine starts with 3906 so I'm guessing it's rootable. 

| 
|
|
|
post #297 of 633 Old 12-20-2013, 12:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

can someone explain to me what plex is and how it works on chromecast? is it pulling the file straight off the NAS or does it have to pull it through a PC? I did some reading on Plex and what little I read made my head spin.

plex just released an update to the server side yesterday and it seems to work VERY well so far with my testing. your files can be on a NAS, yes.
post #298 of 633 Old 12-20-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's pretty simple actually. Plex is a media organizer for videos, music and photos on your computer (PC/Mac/Linux supported). It can index media stored anywhere on your computer or local network in shared folders, or on portable drives. It automatically fetches metadata for your media, so for example if you have a named movie or TV show video file, Plex will add an appropriate thumbnail image and a blurb about it that it gets from internet sources.

Plex is also a server for streaming video/music/photos from its library to remote clients. It supports DLNA clients as well as specialized Plex clients available for PC/Mac/Linux/iOS/Android/Samsung/Roku etc.. The Plex clients are able to show more information and provide a richer browsing experience than plain old DLNA clients. The Plex server running on your PC/Mac/Linux computer is able to do on-the-fly transcoding from the original video format to one compatible with the client device with fairly good performance when it streams video.

The latest innovation is to support clients that separate the controlling device from the playback device, like the Chromecast. So now you can browse your Plex media library from the Plex client on your Andoid/iOS device and cast the stream to the Chromecast for playback. But the stream still has to come from the Plex server, so if the source file is on your NAS, it flows from the NAS to Plex media server on your computer to the Chromecast.

The Plex server also supports plug-in "channels" for internet video sources. For example there's a CBS channel that can fetch and stream video clips from the CBS web site via the Plex server to a Plex client. The channels can be a bit flaky with different clients though, so I'm not sure how much would be supported on the Chromecast as yet.
dfp likes this.
post #299 of 633 Old 12-21-2013, 10:33 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks amesdp. I, too, looked at the Plex website and they really don't explain anything. Just how to download the software, etc. Is it free?
post #300 of 633 Old 12-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post

Thanks amesdp. I, too, looked at the Plex website and they really don't explain anything. Just how to download the software, etc. Is it free?

The server is free and using it on any number of computers is free (you can share your server with family and friends if you like) as well as most of the smart device apps. If you want to access it on your phone you have to pay for the app, which is normally $4.99 but goes on sale at least a few times a year for 1.99.

Temporarily, chromecast casting is only available to subscribers of Plexpass, which is basically a way to donate to support the devs and in exchange you get new features first and are really used to beta test them. Plex has has said they will release casting to all free users as soon as they get the bugs worked out.

So most people use Plex completely for free. Some pay a onetime fee for the phone app. And a small minority choose to become subscribers.

It really is quite useful and most people love it, especially when they realize all you can do with it, but there is a slight learning curve at the beginning when you're setting it all up for the first time. There is support information and instructions if you click on the Help link on the webpage. There are also user forums that are linked to on the help page.
dfp likes this.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page