post #361 of 631 Old 01-05-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Does that actually provide the bitrate of the video though? And no you just center the image on the screen with "scope" presentations. Note there have been some selections truly in 1:85:1 which will have slight black bars ad the bottom and top but those bars are encoded because they are part of the top and bottom 16 lines (since video is often encoded in 16x16 blocks). There have been some reports that 21:9 features are streamed at 75% of the bitrate of a 16:9 one. It makes total sense to do so.

I think the 10 minute average is probably a pretty good indication of the bit rate. While I agree they could encode widescreen material at lower bit rates - they don't seem to be doing so. Hopefully they are using all the available bandwidth to encode the visible image as well as possible so at least in theory a widescreen title could have better image quality than a 16:9 title.

I wasn't meaning to imply they were wasting bits on encoding the black bars (although it wouldn't take many bits do that compression smile.gif )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 631 Old 01-08-2014, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

First Post!! HI there!

This is my equipment:
TV Sony Bravia KDL-40EX400
AV Receiver: Yamaha HTR-6130
Cable: Brighthouse Cisco 4742
Google Chromecast
Playstation 4
---------------------------------------
My Setup

This is my problem I can't get the Chromecast have 5.1 audio!

My question is why with my Cable Box do but my Chromecast don't?

BTW I tried to connect Chromecast directly to my AV but I think my AV only pass video through HDMI :(

Any Fix?

Thanks in Advance!

post #363 of 631 Old 01-08-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 118
This is probably the problem of TVs not passing 5.1 audio out their optical/spdif ports. I had that problem too, it would only pass PCM and ProLogic. There are some threads about this on AVS Forum. But if your AV Receiver has HTML that should work. I have my Chromecast plugged into my AV Receiver and get 5.1 and DD+.
post #364 of 631 Old 01-08-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

This is probably the problem of TVs not passing 5.1 audio out their optical/spdif ports. I had that problem too, it would only pass PCM and ProLogic. There are some threads about this on AVS Forum. But if your AV Receiver has HTML that should work. I have my Chromecast plugged into my AV Receiver and get 5.1 and DD+.

No is not the TV because i get 5.1 from the Cable Box. My AV Receiver do not pass audio through HDMI. but thanks anyway!

post #365 of 631 Old 01-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard24CPD View Post

No is not the TV because i get 5.1 from the Cable Box. My AV Receiver do not pass audio through HDMI. but thanks anyway!

i dont understand why you have everything connected that way. the cablebox and ps4 should be connected via hdmi to the receiver then hdmi out from the receiver to hdmi in to the tv. the receiver would be doing the audio because you have speakers connected to it and it would act as a video switch to the tv. The receiver's job is not to pass audio to the tv, its the other way around.

it is the tv because netflix on chromecast uses DD+ which your tv cannot send DD+ via optical. DD+ is only via HDMI. you get regular 5.1 from your cable box to your tv down the optical.

DD+ can only be sent via HDMI.
MarkHotchkiss likes this.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #366 of 631 Old 01-08-2014, 01:06 PM

Hi! just seen this chromecast thing. Looks interesting. I have a wdtv live smp which is pretty good. Will this do a similar thing? Just thinking for my second tv. Only thing that concerns me is I stream full hd movies from a nas which is wired to my router. My wd box is also wired to the router, so there's no drop in signal. If this chromecast is only wifi, how will it perform with what I currently do?
post #367 of 631 Old 01-08-2014, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

Quote:

i dont understand why you have everything connected that way. the cablebox and ps4 should be connected via hdmi to the receiver then hdmi out from the receiver to hdmi in to the tv. the receiver would be doing the audio because you have speakers connected to it and it would act as a video switch to the tv. The receiver's job is not to pass audio to the tv, its the other way around.

it is the tv because netflix on chromecast uses DD+ which your tv cannot send DD+ via optical. DD+ is only via HDMI. you get regular 5.1 from your cable box to your tv down the optical.

DD+ can only be sent via HDMI.

"hdmi-in" on those older models (HTR-6130) AVRs is useless. A/V signal pass-through only. No audio processing within the unit /speakers. This receiver is basically limited to decode & process (DD/DTS) audio signals via optical & coaxial connections only (& no DD+ decoding).

So,
no DD+ receiver decoding.
no DD+ via TV optical-out.
no DD+ over optical support (S/PIDF protocol limitation).

CC/Netflix 5.1 titles in DD+

plug CC into the TV & set netflix to stereo (CC > TV > Optical > AVR)
if you plug CC into the AVR & set netflix to stereo - you'll still get the same results (w/additional hdmi cable) (CC > AVR > HDMI > TV > Optical > AVR) biggrin.gif
post #368 of 631 Old 01-16-2014, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Apple users, you can cast Google Play Movies/TV now. Looks like you have to purchase shows from a computer (or Android device) but then you can use your iOS device to cast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id746894884
post #369 of 631 Old 01-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Just picked up one of these on Saturday, got it set up and it seems to be working well for Netflix and YouTube (our main reasons for getting it, for our non-Smart bedroom TV). But I ran into an issue of Netflix not streaming on my wife's iPhone when I choose the Chromecast device from the pop-up menu (named "Bedroom"). When I try it a 2nd time, I see both "Bedroom" and "Bedroom (2)" listed, and if I choose "Bedroom (2)" then it will stream the title to the TV. But the first time I try it, "Bedroom (2)" is not listed.

Anyone else ever seen this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #370 of 631 Old 01-20-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have seen the Chromecast get confused when it has connection problems. For example the video stream I'm watching freezes. I try to reconnect to the Chromecast from my tablet, and eventually it's successful, but the Chromecast won't resume the stream. So I try playing another video stream, and the Chromecast shows that it's starting that title, but instead the first one resumes. Now my control device shows it playing one stream, but the Chromecast is playing a different stream.

I've never seen my Chromecast listed twice, but I've seen plenty of other glitches, resulting in wacky error messages from the Chromecast like "Brain freeze!", or "Oops, we shouldn't be here.". It's a work in progress.

All you can really do is check your WiFi connection to make sure you are getting good signal strength and not too many dropouts from interference.
post #371 of 631 Old 01-20-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Just ordered one if these from Amazon but I don't think it will perform well as I have a real crowded neighborhood on 2.4ghz with over 60 AP networks. This is why I stream everything on 5ghz but the Chromecast stupidly does not support 5ghz.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #372 of 631 Old 01-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

If you tell it to connect to your own network SSID then why would it not work well just because of other networks in the vicinity? I'm no expert so I don't know.

Also why order it? I just picked one up at Best Buy for the same $35 as everywhere else.

post #373 of 631 Old 01-20-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Since I ordered it from Amazon I can return it easily if it does not work out good.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #374 of 631 Old 01-21-2014, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

Just picked up one of these on Saturday, got it set up and it seems to be working well for Netflix and YouTube (our main reasons for getting it, for our non-Smart bedroom TV). But I ran into an issue of Netflix not streaming on my wife's iPhone when I choose the Chromecast device from the pop-up menu (named "Bedroom"). When I try it a 2nd time, I see both "Bedroom" and "Bedroom (2)" listed, and if I choose "Bedroom (2)" then it will stream the title to the TV. But the first time I try it, "Bedroom (2)" is not listed.

Anyone else ever seen this?
not here.
check if iphone is running latest netflix app (ver 5.1.1) if so, try to Factory reset CC, reboot iphone then setup CC via iphone & see if that helps…
post #375 of 631 Old 01-26-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 118
My Chromecast got an update last night when I turned it on. I did note that "Dracula" on Hulu+ looked better than usual but not sure that was due to the update.
post #376 of 631 Old 01-26-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Does this device play Amazon Prime?
Does it support multiple Netflix profiles?

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #377 of 631 Old 01-26-2014, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Does this device play Amazon Prime?
Does it support multiple Netflix profiles?

No Amazon - subscribers should contact amazon and request it. You can cast it in a chrome tab if your computer is up to it but that's not optimal.

Yes, multiple Netflix profiles.
post #378 of 631 Old 01-26-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Got the update today too. At first when I launched the Netflix app on my Nexus tablet it did not find it. When I switched the input on my TV to the Chromecast it was already installing the update. I would like to know the release notes.

Cats are the best pets.
post #379 of 631 Old 01-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

How do I know if mine was updated? I used it Monday night and also last night but saw no indication of anything being updated.

post #380 of 631 Old 01-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

How do I know if mine was updated? I used it Monday night and also last night but saw no indication of anything being updated.

You can see the firmware number if you connect to it with the Chromecast app. Current firmware is 15250.
post #381 of 631 Old 01-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

cool thanks I'll check it out.

post #382 of 631 Old 02-03-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

First Post!! HI there!

This is my equipment:

TV Sony Bravia KDL-40EX400

AV Receiver: Yamaha HTR-6130

Cable: Brighthouse Cisco 4742

Google Chromecast

Playstation 4

My Setup

This is my problem I can't get the Chromecast have 5.1 audio!

My question is why with my Cable Box do but my Chromecast don't?

BTW I tried to connect Chromecast directly to my AV but I think my AV only pass video through HDMI frown.gif

Any Fix?

Thanks in Advance!

The "optical out" on the vast majority of TV's can't pass anything higher than Dolby Digital 2.0 (not DD 5.1). The DD 2.0 signal can be "converted" to surround sound, using some sort of mixing like "Dolby Pro Logix" or "DTS neo:6", etc... but that's not the original, unadulterated DD 5.1 audio track for content that was made in 5.1.

That's why I believe you need to connect the chromecast to your AVR, and not your TV. If your AVR is hooked up to speakers, then I would think this might work, if the audio plays through the speakers and the video goes to the TV? You'd just be missing out on the ability to use the built-in TV speakers, correct? That's what I think you'd be losing out on, here... the only other option I'd know of is buy a new AVR, which certainly isn't a "cheap fix".
wkearney99 likes this.
post #383 of 631 Old 02-03-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Google has today officially released the Chromecast SDK to all developers (http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/03/google-finally-opens-up-the-chromecast-to-developers-with-release-of-google-cast-sdk-now-part-of-google-play-services/). We can probably expect a lot more Chromecast-enabled apps in the near future. However for the moment it remains up to Google to whitelist apps permitted to run on the Chromecast, so it remains to be seen how much they will open up.
post #384 of 631 Old 02-03-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Google has today officially released the Chromecast SDK to all developers (http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/03/google-finally-opens-up-the-chromecast-to-developers-with-release-of-google-cast-sdk-now-part-of-google-play-services/). We can probably expect a lot more Chromecast-enabled apps in the near future. However for the moment it remains up to Google to whitelist apps permitted to run on the Chromecast, so it remains to be seen how much they will open up.

Awesome.

*Fingers Crossed* that Slingbox is ready-to-run with this... I already own one Chromecast. I'll probably buy 1-2 more if they get Slingbox support.
post #385 of 631 Old 02-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Waiting on Vimeo to come to Chromecast!

post #386 of 631 Old 02-03-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

You can already watch Vimeo on Chromecast via Plex.
post #387 of 631 Old 02-03-2014, 06:22 PM

Brought one the other day and it was prett good. still a little complicated but not bad. I think it works best though with youtube

Check out my
post #388 of 631 Old 02-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1873 View Post

Brought one the other day and it was prett good. still a little complicated but not bad. I think it works best though with youtube

YouTube has been frustrating at best for me, constant buffering. Meanwhile I get Netflix ramped up in no time to full resolution in seconds. Not sure why.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #389 of 631 Old 02-04-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

The "optical out" on the vast majority of TV's can't pass anything higher than Dolby Digital 2.0 (not DD 5.1). The DD 2.0 signal can be "converted" to surround sound, using some sort of mixing like "Dolby Pro Logix" or "DTS neo:6", etc... but that's not the original, unadulterated DD 5.1 audio track for content that was made in 5.1.

That's why I believe you need to connect the chromecast to your AVR, and not your TV. If your AVR is hooked up to speakers, then I would think this might work, if the audio plays through the speakers and the video goes to the TV? You'd just be missing out on the ability to use the built-in TV speakers, correct? That's what I think you'd be losing out on, here... the only other option I'd know of is buy a new AVR, which certainly isn't a "cheap fix".

Yup, when you send the signals through the TV you're at the mercy of how the TV handles negotiating with the source AND how it sends that along. Not all sources and TVs handle this effectively. In theory they "can" do a lot of handshaking to get it sorted out. But most AV gear is notoriously inconsistent at doing this. Then combine that with the sources, as not all will provide 'better quality' sources across all content. Toss all these variables together and it's no surprise to find failure.

Using all sources into the AVR, assuming it's a 'good one' (and that's also very tricky to pin down) will at least limit the number of variables. Then you're just dealing with how the AVR and the source negotiate. That and an AVR with a decent display (and features to support it) should at least be able to tell you what it "thinks" the source is sending it.

Folks channel their audio and inputs through the TV for different reasons. But when your start edging toward getting better quality audio those 'reasons' end up being roadblocks that will prevent it from working.

Also note, HDMI itself has evolved and not all HDMI cables have the added wiring to support the latest features like HDMI-CEC. No, I'm not talking Monster nonsense, but HDMI1.4 or better cabling may be needed to take best advantage of the new AVR you're going to have to buy...
post #390 of 631 Old 02-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah I noticed on our new Vizio M501 TV that when watching Netflix through the TV I never could get true DD 5.1. When watching it through a Sony S5100 BRD I do get 5.1. Yet another reason to not even bother with the TV's smart apps.

Our Chromecast is for our bedroom, in which I have an older Sony AVR with no digital connectivity at all, and just 2 speakers attached. The Chromecast is plugged into the back of the TV, which is fine in that location.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page