Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #541 of 624 Old 04-10-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
There's no problem connecting an ethernet cable to something small. True, it would have to be a little larger in order to accommodate the RJ45 plug. But there have been plenty of small dongles like this using that socket (albeit typically as a USB-ethernet adapter). That and there are things like Ethernet over HDMI (but that's perhaps a whole other train wreck).

As for Amazon, they're pretty good with generating updates. For a new product it's no too surprising to not have all developers on-board until the public release. It's inconvenient, sure, to have old versions, but that can be solved with updates.

Personally I don't really want another set top box with it's own remote. I really do prefer the tablet-controlled, network-sourced Chromecast approach.

It's a very interesting time to be using AV tech right now. Finally, a lot of the vendors are getting out of their own way and providing a better range of interoperability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 624 Old 04-10-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Just when Google releases there streaming box app developers might update the apps on there quicker and the Fire TV might become the red headed step child for updates. I have seen it with the Android store getting the newer app updates over the Amazon store.
Quote:
There's no problem connecting an ethernet cable to something small. True, it would have to be a little larger in order to accommodate the RJ45 plug. But there have been plenty of small dongles like this using that socket (albeit typically as a USB-ethernet adapter).

I agree I use Ethernet whenever I can but if a device only has WiFi I only use 5Ghz and try to avoid 2.4Ghz as much as possible.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #543 of 624 Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Just when Google releases there streaming box app developers might update the apps on there quicker and the Fire TV might become the red headed step child for updates. I have seen it with the Android store getting the newer app updates over the Amazon store.
I agree I use Ethernet whenever I can but if a device only has WiFi I only use 5Ghz and try to avoid 2.4Ghz as much as possible.
Amazon vents app submissions so it can take longer than just posting an update to Google Play. I have apps on both. Also most developers find that they get about 1/10 the sales or downloads on Amazon that they do on play so guess where the priority goes?
post #544 of 624 Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Amazon vents app submissions so it can take longer than just posting an update to Google Play. I have apps on both. Also most developers find that they get about 1/10 the sales or downloads on Amazon that they do on play so guess where the priority goes?

There's definitely something be said for having apps vetted. But not to the ludicrous level of arbitrary nonsense on iTunes. There's a balance to be struck and Amazon seems to be doing a decent job of it thus far.

As for percentages, I think the numbers would be better explained by number of devices running a given market.
post #545 of 624 Old 04-12-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Turn around for testing my updates on Amazon have been fairly fast. The took down one app because it wouldn't run on Kindle Fire and they put it back after I reminded them it was up there before they even announced the Fire. It was a useful alternative for folks who either couldn't set up a Google Play (wallet) account. The one app required the Google API because it had Maps in it and Fire just uses the Android API but I made editions for that.
post #546 of 624 Old 04-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Speaking of Amazon, the Plex for Android app is only 99 cents right now (regular $4.99) in the Appstore. Chromecast casting is free through the app (no PlexPass required anymore as was mentioned earlier in the thread). So great time to grab the app for a cheap price if you use the Amazon Appstore on your device. You can of course cast for free without the app on a computer using the Plex Web app. If you don't mind setting up the server, you can't beat casting with Plex in my opinion.
giomania likes this.
post #547 of 624 Old 04-12-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

Speaking of Amazon, the Plex for Android app is only 99 cents right now (regular $4.99) in the Appstore. Chromecast casting is free through the app (no PlexPass required anymore as was mentioned earlier in the thread). So great time to grab the app for a cheap price if you use the Amazon Appstore on your device. You can of course cast for free without the app on a computer using the Plex Web app. If you don't mind setting up the server, you can't beat casting with Plex in my opinion.
I got it for nothing as I had 790 free coins. I have no plans on using Plex but I got the app for future proof if I decide to try Plex.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #548 of 624 Old 04-14-2014, 11:53 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

I got it for nothing as I had 790 free coins. I have no plans on using Plex but I got the app for future proof if I decide to try Plex.

Ditto.

Thanks to JPRC!
post #549 of 624 Old 04-15-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I've been trying to figure out if chromecast supports 5.1 with HBO GO.  Apparently it does not, according this thread.  I wonder what the easiest/economical device to get 5.1 support would be?  I don't want to buy an xbox or new TV.  Anyone have any suggestions?

post #550 of 624 Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 PM

Looks like the Roku Streaming Stick may work out.

post #551 of 624 Old 04-16-2014, 11:42 AM

Any opinions on the quality of casting Google Play Music?  I bought the Chromecast largely to stream music to my AVR.  I have all-access and have tried a lot of different content and when the audio is coming from the Chromecast to my AVR it sounds noticeably lower quality than if I stream the same music through the webapp (on my PC) for Google Music to my AVR.  I read in an review that the Chromecast has a max bitrate of 192kbps for audio when Google Music can stream up to 320kbps.  I have yet to get that confirmed however - even after talking with Google tech support.

The article that talks about stream quality:

http://readwrite.com/2014/04/10/google-chromecast-music-apps-home-audio

post #552 of 624 Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 AM

Liked: 19
post #553 of 624 Old 04-17-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDM View Post

Any opinions on the quality of casting Google Play Music?  I bought the Chromecast largely to stream music to my AVR.  I have all-access and have tried a lot of different content and when the audio is coming from the Chromecast to my AVR it sounds noticeably lower quality than if I stream the same music through the webapp (on my PC) for Google Music to my AVR.  I read in an review that the Chromecast has a max bitrate of 192kbps for audio when Google Music can stream up to 320kbps.  I have yet to get that confirmed however - even after talking with Google tech support.

The article that talks about stream quality:
http://readwrite.com/2014/04/10/google-chromecast-music-apps-home-audio
First off, I listen to Google Music through a Chromecast connected to my Denon 3313 in my home theater/office daily while working. I think it sounds great and I'm pretty sure I'd know if it was 192 kbps.

Second, I'm not sure the 192 kbps statement is connected to the Google Music 320 kbps statement.

Finally there is this comment: "you might wish you could plug your Chromecast into your ancient-but-awesome audio receiver and speakers". This guy doesn't have a receiver with HDMI? Make me a bit suspicious smile.gif.

It would be nice to know for sure.
post #554 of 624 Old 04-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

You can cast live streams from Youtube now. I tested it out from my computer and from the Android app and it worked well.
post #555 of 624 Old 04-20-2014, 05:04 AM

Do you any guys know whether plugging the chromecast into a 5 year old receiver with HDMI 1.2 spec will limit or reduce video quality if the signal is passed from the receiver to a newer TV presumably with the 1.4 HDMI spec? One of the primary differences between the two specs is the "deep color" capability of the latter spec.
post #556 of 624 Old 04-20-2014, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 126
There will be no difference.
post #557 of 624 Old 04-20-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

There will be no difference.

Because (a) there is enough bandwidth allowed in 1.2 to pass along the bitstream, (b) the spec of the receiver only concerns itself with audio specs (high resolution audio, etc.), (c) or both?
post #558 of 624 Old 04-20-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 126
There is no content that uses deep color or expanded color space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floepie View Post

Because (a) there is enough bandwidth allowed in 1.2 to pass along the bitstream, (b) the spec of the receiver only concerns itself with audio specs (high resolution audio, etc.), (c) or both?
floepie likes this.
post #559 of 624 Old 04-29-2014, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

You can now cast Google Drive presentations from a computer Chrome browser. It's under Present --> Present on another device....
post #560 of 624 Old 05-11-2014, 03:39 AM

I have connected the Chromecast in one of the HDMI input of my receiver which is an Arcam AVR750. I'm getting the picture but no sound. Any idea where is the problem?
Thanks
post #561 of 624 Old 05-11-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxvolpe View Post

I have connected the Chromecast in one of the HDMI input of my receiver which is an Arcam AVR750. I'm getting the picture but no sound. Any idea where is the problem?
Thanks

Not familiar with Arcam but, on my Anthem you have to enable "HDMI Audio" for each input. You might try looking at your setting again if you're using a HDMI input that you haven't used before.

Steve
post #562 of 624 Old 05-12-2014, 01:05 AM

With Anthem I had to change Chromecast's audio format from 5.1 to stereo to get sound out. Changing Anthem's HDMI propertiens didn't help. Seems like Anthem MRX-510 won't recognize Chromecast DD+ signal.

post #563 of 624 Old 05-12-2014, 02:18 AM

I'm getting sound now. I had to reset my unit (Arcam AVR750) to factory setting. Very weird...
post #564 of 624 Old 05-17-2014, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Gizmo the j.river media center control app now has chromecast support. You can cast music, movies and pictures as well as playlists. Performance on music is great. Video is dependant on your PC power and ability to transcode on the fly, WiFi signal and original file format. Seems to work pretty well overall.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #565 of 624 Old 05-17-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Does it do DTS?
post #566 of 624 Old 05-17-2014, 04:38 PM

Liked: 41

How does j.river compare to AllCast?

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #567 of 624 Old 05-17-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I use my Chromecast on tvs that have stereo sound only and they best they support is DD. J.river will convert dts to stereo in my case. That is all I've tested.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #568 of 624 Old 05-27-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
does Chromecast device support a 2560 21:9 res monitor ?

website suggests 1080p is max res

although technically 2560x1080 is 1080p also smile.gif so was unsure
post #569 of 624 Old 05-27-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I need a wireless range solution, I think.

I have a cat5e cable in the wall behind the TV. So, I think the question is - is an HDMI extender a better solution than setting up some kind of WiFi range extender or additional wireless access point (hopefully with gigabit switch to supply a patch cable to TV and blu-ray player for apps). Can I get a recommendation for approach and equipment? I don't mind spending a little money but, less is better, obviously. That said, if it's not reliable, it's not what I want.

I've previously connected my PC to my TV directly via HDMI, but that solution was failing WAF. I've moved the PC into another room, where it is connected to my network via both 802.11/n as well as cat5e back to the central closet with modem and Belkin N750 DB router. The TV is not very far from the router - the PC and laptop routinely have 4/5 or 5/5 bars. The Chromecast on the other hand seems to drop the connection all the time. I might run the setup routine five or more times before the setup completes successfully. Then I might stream from plex for 20-25 minutes before the connection fails. Sometimes the connection will come back after a few minutes, and sometimes I end up running setup again or just unplugging the Chromecast and plugging it back in. Troubleshooting like this is worse than running the laptop for WAF, so I need a solution.

When I use the Chromecast in the master bedroom on the other side of the closet, performance is rock solid. On the other hand, the guest bedroom is on the other side of the living room, so I expect that setting the Chromecast in there for visitors will be even less successful than in the living room, so extending the range of the WiFi signal sounds like the best option to me. I also will be probably extending WiFi into the basement for the theater I'm building, but hat won't happen for a few months at least.
post #570 of 624 Old 05-27-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

It may be that you need to move your wireless router. Or add an access point to provide better coverage. Houses are notoriously difficult to debug wireless problems. This gets even worse when there are a lot of conflicting WiFi network all fighting for the same airwaves. Sometimes adding or moving your router/access point and perhaps fine-tuning the channel and signal power can help.

It's been my experience that extenders just add to the hassles. Use a long cable to move a router around to find where the best place might be. Could be up in a closet, over a cabinet, etc.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page