post #601 of 632 Old 06-26-2014, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
No new dual band Chromecast. Too bad. I can't use the Chromecast as the 2.4ghz network in my area is crushed with over 70 other networks.
The number of AP's in an area can affect the noise floor, but a strong single will override other AP's in the area that that the Signal to Noise ratio is high enough to compensate..I have quite a bit of AP's in my area, yet have no problem connecting at a 65Mbps data rate to my AP...sometimes just changing to a better antenna will do wonders for an AP.

Most of the time when I see problems with wi-fi connectivity it's due more to a cheap AP being used or poor placement of the AP...like in the basement, yet they are trying to connect on the 2nd floor!

My only gripe with the Chromecast is that it needs to use a 20/40MHz channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 632 Old 06-26-2014, 05:19 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
Some good chromecast developments announced at Google I/O today. The two biggest ones are being able to mirror your android device and being able to cast from a device that is not on the same network (can be opted out by user if you don't want this and requires an onscreen code to be input). There's also some less important stuff like personalizing the background pictures.

Edit: Just thought I'd add that they said they now have over 6000 registered developers and 10,000 Chromecast apps in development.
Do you think the Android device mirroring will be done in an app, like everything else? Do you think a similar app will ever be available for iOS devices?

Our iPhone and iPad work beautifully with YouTube and HBOGO on our 3 chromecasts. Sure would be great if iOS mirroring were available.
post #603 of 632 Old 06-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
My only gripe with the Chromecast is that it needs to use a 20/40MHz channel.
I'm not sure I follow you. I have two Chromecasts here on two different routers and both are restricted to 20MHz only. In testing, I never saw any benefit with 40MHz.
post #604 of 632 Old 06-26-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Netflix HD needs about 5.5 mbps. A standard 20 MHz WiFi channel is far more than sufficient. It's the quality and stability of connection that matters.
post #605 of 632 Old 06-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post
Do you think the Android device mirroring will be done in an app, like everything else? Do you think a similar app will ever be available for iOS devices?

Our iPhone and iPad work beautifully with YouTube and HBOGO on our 3 chromecasts. Sure would be great if iOS mirroring were available.

The cast feature is already built in to many android phones and tablets and the ability is already in the firmware. These devices won't require an app at all. All that is needed is an update to Google Play Services and for the feature to be whitelisted by Google. Other Android phones will be able to cast from the Chromecast app itself. The feature will roll out first to the following phones/tablets: HTC One M7, LG G2, LG G2 Pro, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S5. Other devices will be added but those are the beta devices. Some devices of course do not have the hardware capability and/or the ability to run the firmware necessary.

The mirroring is being done through a Google framework that was specifically developed for this exact purpose in order to (mostly) eliminate lag that is inherent in mirroring. Mirroring for Apple devices would be much more difficult to develop because Apple is not going to cooperate with Google to increase the value of Google's product by developing such a framework or opening it up to Google/Chromecast.

Last edited by jprc; 06-26-2014 at 07:05 PM.
post #606 of 632 Old 06-27-2014, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post
I'm not sure I follow you. I have two Chromecasts here on two different routers and both are restricted to 20MHz only. In testing, I never saw any benefit with 40MHz.
40MHz channel is good for more bandwidth, but I suppose in hindsight I doubt the Chromecast has enough horse power to decode high bit rate video such as blu-ray. The other advantage to 40MHz is that it can provide more bandwidth in a noisy environment, for example QPSK modulation at 40MHz will provide about ~40Mbps of radio rater (Ethernet rate is generally 1/2 of radio rate) throughput where QPSK modulation at 20MHz only provides about 1/2 of that. So if the Chromecast supported a 20/40MHz channel than it might be helpful for people dealing with multiple AP's in their area.
post #607 of 632 Old 06-27-2014, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post
Netflix HD needs about 5.5 mbps. A standard 20 MHz WiFi channel is far more than sufficient. It's the quality and stability of connection that matters.
Unless you have multiple devices using a single AP all fighting for the shared bandwidth in a 20MHz channel. If you're the only one in your house using the AP, then I agree, but you can never have too much bandwidth !
post #608 of 632 Old 06-27-2014, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Might as well add Apple TV to the mix anyway.

Gary J
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #609 of 632 Old 06-27-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wish I have more time to get myself educated about this device, but I am afraid I will have to shortcut it while hoping someone will know answer to my question.

The only reason to buy the Chromecast is to be able to stream locally stored files off Android tablet (Kobo Arc 7") onto chromecast while driving minivan on a long haul trips. Car has HDMI.

I unpacked CC and found my never used Airport Express - it all worked great while connected to modem. Pairing worked great, it hooked up onto my newly established DarkeshaTraveller SSID network - movies played great although it would take a couple of minutes for them to start streaming.

After I disconnected modem due to the fact I won't have broadband in the car - the stupid thing is saying it needs internet even though it's still on the same wifi network as well as Kobo.
Any recommendations ? Any advices ? I tried to move everything over onto the hot spot my they don't offer LAN so the two devices wouldn't connect.

If I can't achieve this, I will take it back this weekend, but would like to try some more ideas if you have.

I believe if I connect my iphone to Mac Air and USB tether those two - I think the Air can become router which would allow Kobo/CC to work. But in that case I should just copy movies onto Air and spend the $40 onto DisplayPort-HDMI converter instead of CC.
Or use Playbook with it's native hdmi out port.

Not sure if AirPort Express USB port allow for iphone tethering - then it would be much simpler. The reason Im insisting on Express is because I need wifi router where we are heading to.
post #610 of 632 Old 06-28-2014, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkesha View Post
After I disconnected modem due to the fact I won't have broadband in the car - the stupid thing is saying it needs internet even though it's still on the same wifi network as well as Kobo.
Any recommendations ? Any advices ? I tried to move everything over onto the hot spot my they don't offer LAN so the two devices wouldn't connect.
The Chromecast requires an internet connection to get its updates and licensing, you would need to setup a wi-fi hotspot with your cell phone in order to do what you want. As you've pointed out I think there are other options to consider instead.
post #611 of 632 Old 06-28-2014, 08:10 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The cast feature is already built in to many android phones and tablets and the ability is already in the firmware. These devices won't require an app at all. All that is needed is an update to Google Play Services and for the feature to be whitelisted by Google. Other Android phones will be able to cast from the Chromecast app itself. The feature will roll out first to the following phones/tablets: HTC One M7, LG G2, LG G2 Pro, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S5. Other devices will be added but those are the beta devices. Some devices of course do not have the hardware capability and/or the ability to run the firmware necessary.

The mirroring is being done through a Google framework that was specifically developed for this exact purpose in order to (mostly) eliminate lag that is inherent in mirroring. Mirroring for Apple devices would be much more difficult to develop because Apple is not going to cooperate with Google to increase the value of Google's product by developing such a framework or opening it up to Google/Chromecast.
Thank you for your thoughtful explanation. Ages ago, I wrote device drivers in assembly language for minicomputers, and was afraid that, for performance, an iOS app wouldn't do it.

It's nice that Chromecast tries to be open for Android, iOS, and Windows devices. Do you think they will ever add tab casting to Chrome for iOS that folks could use for more static pages, like email?

Finally, tab casting from our older Windows laptop works, but is sluggish on videos. Have you heard if folks with newer, faster Windows laptops and tablets are satisfied? Thank you.

Last edited by dfp; 06-28-2014 at 01:40 PM.
post #612 of 632 Old 06-28-2014, 01:38 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Might as well add Apple TV to the mix anyway.
For $99, you're probably right. There will always be a mix. Chromecast works very well for iOS devices with Netflix, You Tube, HBOGo, and Photocast, among others, covering major functions one might want.

iOS mirroring would be nice, but, failing that, tab-casting on Chrome for iOS might be good enough for less demanding web pages and email.
post #613 of 632 Old 06-28-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
The Chromecast requires an internet connection to get its updates and licensing, you would need to setup a wi-fi hotspot with your cell phone in order to do what you want. As you've pointed out I think there are other options to consider instead.
Unfortunately, the hot spot doesnt' allow LAN networking of devices, so it's not way to go to connect tablet and CC to either of iPhone 5s or Galaxy S5.

I haven't tried S5 + CC by themselves where S5 would cast the videos (due to S5 not having enough memory for video library).
post #614 of 632 Old 06-28-2014, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Finally, tab casting from our older Windows laptop works, but is sluggish on videos. Have you heard if folks with newer, faster Windows laptops and tablets are satisfied? Thank you.
Here's the recommended system requirements for casting

https://support.google.com/chromecas.../3209990?hl=en
post #615 of 632 Old 06-28-2014, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you for your thoughtful explanation. Ages ago, I wrote device drivers in assembly language for minicomputers, and was afraid that, for performance, an iOS app wouldn't do it.

It's nice that Chromecast tries to be open for Android, iOS, and Windows devices. Do you think they will ever add tab casting to Chrome for iOS that folks could use for more static pages, like email?

I don't have any iOS devices - my last Apple device was an Apple II+ that I used to painstakingly write games on in Basic. Anyway, I haven't looked at what hardware is in iphones and ipads these days. It's possible if the hardware is up to that Chrome tab casting could come in the future to both android and ios devices. I know there are some Windows tablets that are able to cast from the Desktop version of Chrome with the cast extension.

I can tab cast on my Windows laptop very well. My laptop is 4 years old and has a first generation i7 processor. I can also cast the entire screen, which is basically mirroring, and cast anything I am doing on my laptop to the Chromecast. It's almost the same as an HDMI connection but there is one second of lag, so playing action games wouldn't work so well. I don't need it for that however so it works great for me.

One app I would suggest you take a look at for iOS is EZCast. I run it on my android devices, and I can't tell you if the features will work the same for iOS, but I did check that there is indeed an iOS version of it. You can experiment for yourself or do some research about how it works on your devices. The reason I am suggesting it is because one of the several features it has is casting a web browser. Now the thing to keep in mind is that it is not a browser of your choice and not Chrome but it uses it's own built-in web browser. You can get it to cast full screen in landscape mode (at least that's how it works on android). It can cast other things too like documents, music, video (no transcoding), and also allows you to write on screen (for example if you wanted to circle something in a picture or a powerpoint prez). Another thing to keep in mind is that that the app was developed for it's own branded device, so all features do not work with the chromecast, but several do. So since you want browser casting, see if it works on iOS like it does on Android if that interests you.

I've never seen an apple tv in person, but if you want mirroring for ios, airplay seems to be your best bet. It's not impossible that mirroring could be developed for ios with chromecast, but it's just like I said earlier, it will be more difficult to develop it in a way that it works smoothly since apple isn't going to be volunteering the framework. Airplay of course works with different protocols than the chromecast uses and is apple developed just like the new mirroring for android is google developed. Anyway, there may be other apps as well for iOS that can cast browsers to chromecast or other functions you are looking for - I'm just not up to date with what works with apple devices so just have that one suggestion right now.
dfp likes this.

Last edited by jprc; 06-28-2014 at 11:51 PM.
post #616 of 632 Old 06-29-2014, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Here's a demo of what mirroring will be like. I'm not associated with the website that made the video but it shows a good example of how it works:

post #617 of 632 Old 06-30-2014, 03:49 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't have any iOS devices - my last Apple device was an Apple II+ that I used to painstakingly write games on in Basic. Anyway, I haven't looked at what hardware is in iphones and ipads these days. It's possible if the hardware is up to that Chrome tab casting could come in the future to both android and ios devices. I know there are some Windows tablets that are able to cast from the Desktop version of Chrome with the cast extension.

I can tab cast on my Windows laptop very well. My laptop is 4 years old and has a first generation i7 processor. I can also cast the entire screen, which is basically mirroring, and cast anything I am doing on my laptop to the Chromecast. It's almost the same as an HDMI connection but there is one second of lag, so playing action games wouldn't work so well. I don't need it for that however so it works great for me.

One app I would suggest you take a look at for iOS is EZCast. I run it on my android devices, and I can't tell you if the features will work the same for iOS, but I did check that there is indeed an iOS version of it. You can experiment for yourself or do some research about how it works on your devices. The reason I am suggesting it is because one of the several features it has is casting a web browser. Now the thing to keep in mind is that it is not a browser of your choice and not Chrome but it uses it's own built-in web browser. You can get it to cast full screen in landscape mode (at least that's how it works on android). It can cast other things too like documents, music, video (no transcoding), and also allows you to write on screen (for example if you wanted to circle something in a picture or a powerpoint prez). Another thing to keep in mind is that that the app was developed for it's own branded device, so all features do not work with the chromecast, but several do. So since you want browser casting, see if it works on iOS like it does on Android if that interests you.

I've never seen an apple tv in person, but if you want mirroring for ios, airplay seems to be your best bet. It's not impossible that mirroring could be developed for ios with chromecast, but it's just like I said earlier, it will be more difficult to develop it in a way that it works smoothly since apple isn't going to be volunteering the framework. Airplay of course works with different protocols than the chromecast uses and is apple developed just like the new mirroring for android is google developed. Anyway, there may be other apps as well for iOS that can cast browsers to chromecast or other functions you are looking for - I'm just not up to date with what works with apple devices so just have that one suggestion right now.
Thanks for the thorough update of Chromecast mirroring across the three platforms, and for the video in your subsequent post showing how nicely it works for Android.

Two years ago I semi-retired our old laptop with an iPad for my wife, then, later, I was given a used iPhone 4s. But I’d still like to replace the laptop with a hybrid Windows tablet with detachable keyboard. Although there are some neat new Android hybrids coming out, too.

Thanks for sharing what you’ve heard about casting from Windows tablets and your own Windows laptop tab casting experience. And for the tip on EZCast for iOS. I just read the description and watched a few instructive You Tube videos on it, and have glanced through the manual. It would be nice to have something to use while I’m waiting for the hybrid prices to come down.

post #618 of 632 Old 06-30-2014, 04:07 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
Here's the recommended system requirements for casting

https://support.google.com/chromecas.../3209990?hl=en
Thanks for the guidelines. I bought one of the first Chromecasts and glanced at something that pretty much said my old laptop wouldn't work. I tried it anyway and it did work for web pages but was sluggish on videos. So I never tried it again, and just used our iPad and iPhone for You Tube and the newly released apps. But now I'm interested in the new hybrid tablets with detachable keyboards, and this table will help when I decide to pick one.
post #619 of 632 Old 07-01-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Thanks for the guidelines. I bought one of the first Chromecasts and glanced at something that pretty much said my old laptop wouldn't work. I tried it anyway and it did work for web pages but was sluggish on videos. So I never tried it again, and just used our iPad and iPhone for You Tube and the newly released apps. But now I'm interested in the new hybrid tablets with detachable keyboards, and this table will help when I decide to pick one.
Can someone help my confusion? I thought the Chromecast software passed the video stream over to the device, so that the device's [ie, older laptop] capabilities were not at issue.

Is this only true for apps that support Chromecast like Netflix and not for videos imbedded in web pages?

Thanks.
post #620 of 632 Old 07-01-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMConey View Post
Can someone help my confusion? I thought the Chromecast software passed the video stream over to the device, so that the device's [ie, older laptop] capabilities were not at issue.

Is this only true for apps that support Chromecast like Netflix and not for videos imbedded in web pages?

Thanks.
Right, when playing in a browser, it continues to require your device.

Build Thread:
post #621 of 632 Old 07-01-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Right, when playing in a browser, it continues to require your device.
When playing off a browser tab it is essentially capturing the content and teleconferencing it to the Chromecast. When you select a movie in the Netflix app with Chromecast selected it tells Netflix to send the movie to the Chromecast instead and just passes the movie index info to the app.

Using my 4 year old Windows 7 64-bit machine I have to connect via Ethernet to cast a video on a tab because via wi-fi it will eventually crash the machine in some kind of tug-a-war between sending video in signal and the one sent to the Chromecast which is most likely a very high bitrate signal so they can use near lossless compression. Anyone ever figure out the different bitrates that the Chromecast can cast.
post #622 of 632 Old 07-02-2014, 06:51 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMConey View Post

Thanks.
I was confused about this earlier, and here's another answer (post 433 above) to the same question I posed:
*Official* Google Chromecast owners thread*Official* Google Chromecast owners thread

The bottom line is that, (1) you can cast a web page of, for example, a You Tube video from the Chrome extension cast icon on the top of the web page. The computer is involved in this and performance can be degraded for videos.

Or, (2) for apps that have been designed for Chromecast, like You Tube, you can cast from the cast icon in the You tube player on the same web page. In this case, the connection is set up between your router and the Chromecast and you get good performance, the computer is not involved.
post #623 of 632 Old 07-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

The android mirroring feature has begun rollout today. Some devices (stock nexus for example) will be able to cast directly from the Cast button in the Quick Settings and others will need the new version of the Chromecast app released today. The new Chromecast app version, 1.7, may not be available to all devices immediately as it is a staggered rollout over a few days. A reminder that the beta devices for this feature are: HTC One M7, LG G2, LG G2 Pro, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S5. You also need Google Play Services 5.x.x.x but you should have that already unless you are doing something to prevent it's install.

Here's the announcement and also the help section for those needing to use the app:
http://chrome.blogspot.com/2014/07/m...o-tv-with.html
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461
dfp likes this.

Last edited by jprc; 07-09-2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Added some links
post #624 of 632 Old 07-10-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
The android mirroring feature has begun rollout today. Some devices (stock nexus for example) will be able to cast directly from the Cast button in the Quick Settings and others will need the new version of the Chromecast app released today. The new Chromecast app version, 1.7, may not be available to all devices immediately as it is a staggered rollout over a few days. A reminder that the beta devices for this feature are: HTC One M7, LG G2, LG G2 Pro, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S5. You also need Google Play Services 5.x.x.x but you should have that already unless you are doing something to prevent it's install.

Here's the announcement and also the help section for those needing to use the app:
http://chrome.blogspot.com/2014/07/m...o-tv-with.html
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461
You can download the Chromecast 1.7 update here, so you can get it right away. I did this for my HTC One, my Nexus 7 tablet, and my Nexus 10 tablet. It's safe:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358560023
post #625 of 632 Old 08-03-2014, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDTV calibration

I have calibrated my TV via the PS3 and the MP4 files here, AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration, but since getting a ChromeCast I was wondering if it is possible to use it.

I have the MP4 files stored on my google drive account but when I cast the files to the TV does any compression happen or is it the original file? Also, does it matter what player I use on Android?
post #626 of 632 Old 08-28-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have my chromecast directly connected to my AVR cause it said to be able to get dilby digital that is that way you have to do it. But I am wondering can anyone tell me if WATCH ESPN offers dolby digital or is it just stereo??
post #627 of 632 Old 08-28-2014, 08:07 PM

Liked: 19
Stereo only. Netflix passes Dolby Digital+ and Google Play Movies sends 5.1 via HE-AAC which the Chromecast presumably decodes into PCM (that's what my receiver says the input source is, while Netflix says Dolby Digital+). I'm not aware of any other service that offers Dolby on the Chromecast. I wish HBO Go did, as it does on the Apple TV.
post #628 of 632 Old 09-06-2014, 01:52 PM

Is there a way to use Chromecast as an wireless digital audio source for my surround receiver?

Preferably:

- without having to turn on the tv, instead being controlled from a computer, tablet or phone.
- the music files themselves being stored on a local NAS or a local share from a computer etc.
- with the ability to play at least lossless 44.1 KHz 16-bit but preferably lossless 192 KHz 24-bit.
post #629 of 632 Old 09-06-2014, 02:29 PM

I'm just reading up on Chromecast and need some answers. For instance i have a A/V receiver with HDMI ports which is connected by HDMI to my HDTV so can i hook this thing up and will i get the sound passed from the TV through to the Receiver? Also i imagine having fast wifi is a must for a device like this. What's the internet speed requirement for Chromecast?

Last edited by Jammers10; 09-07-2014 at 12:00 PM.
post #630 of 632 Old 09-07-2014, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have one connected to my aux hdmi on my onkyo 609 with no issues.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page