post #631 of 656 Old 09-07-2014, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloydhomer View Post
Is there a way to use Chromecast as an wireless digital audio source for my surround receiver?

Preferably:

- without having to turn on the tv, instead being controlled from a computer, tablet or phone.
- the music files themselves being stored on a local NAS or a local share from a computer etc.
- with the ability to play at least lossless 44.1 KHz 16-bit but preferably lossless 192 KHz 24-bit.
The answer to #1 is yes. In fact, you MUST use Chromecast this way. There is no remote control, or way to control it, except via apps on other devices.
#2 : Sort of. If you use a quasi proprietary DLNA server that has a dedicated special client app that is Chromecast friendly. (Plex is often mentioned.)
#3 : I don't know, since I don't have an app like alluded to in #2 , and none of the movie services are streaming high res soundtracks.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 656 Old 09-17-2014, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Slingbox support for Chromecast. http://blog.sling.com/2014/09/17/chr...g-has-arrived/
I know people had asked about this before.
post #633 of 656 Old 09-19-2014, 08:48 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My three Chromecasts worked fine in different corners of the house for over a year. Then my router died and the new Comcast Arris wireless gateway didn't have the range to reach two of them, although iPad and iPhones worked throughout the house. I returned it and Comcast gave me a Technicolor gateway, and everything works fine now. Hope this might help fellow owners.
post #634 of 656 Old 10-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

The new version of the Chromecast app on Android (v 1.8.22) now allows you to customize the default backdrop photos with a few different options, including your own photos, and add the temperature to the screen and a news ticker (although from my quick look at this the news ticker isn't very informative right now - don't know if that varies by location). You can also use the app to see details about the photos that google provides as they appear on your TV.

There have been hundreds of new apps added too of course. I stopped counting after 500. Anyway, I know nobody posts here much anymore but just thought I'd give a heads up to look out for the app update if you haven't gotten it yet. Many people never have a reason to actually open that app to use their chromecast, so I thought a lot of people might miss out on this new feature not realizing it was added. I didn't look up if it was added to iOS yet.

Edit: I just realized something about the news feature. When a news article is listed, you can use the app to go to the article to read it. It's in the same place where you can find details about the photo on the screen.

Last edited by jprc; 10-09-2014 at 04:54 PM.
post #635 of 656 Old 10-10-2014, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool, thanks for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
The new version of the Chromecast app on Android (v 1.8.22) now allows you to customize the default backdrop photos with a few different options, including your own photos, and add the temperature to the screen and a news ticker (although from my quick look at this the news ticker isn't very informative right now - don't know if that varies by location). You can also use the app to see details about the photos that google provides as they appear on your TV.

There have been hundreds of new apps added too of course. I stopped counting after 500. Anyway, I know nobody posts here much anymore but just thought I'd give a heads up to look out for the app update if you haven't gotten it yet. Many people never have a reason to actually open that app to use their chromecast, so I thought a lot of people might miss out on this new feature not realizing it was added. I didn't look up if it was added to iOS yet.

Edit: I just realized something about the news feature. When a news article is listed, you can use the app to go to the article to read it. It's in the same place where you can find details about the photo on the screen.
post #636 of 656 Old 10-22-2014, 01:48 PM

Liked: 0
What Chromcast enabled apps are you guys using right now? I know there are over 500 listed on a wiki page somewhere but the useful ones I'm using are:

Youtube
Netflix
Hulu
Twitch
Songza
Watch ABC
NPR One
Google Play (Music, Movies, Etc.)
post #637 of 656 Old 10-22-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 224
YouTube, Netflix, and Plex (the Chrome Web App), and of course Google Cast extension for Chrome.

I don't have any subscriptions for apps (HBO, MLB, Hulu+) so I just cast a tab if I want to watch video from Hulu or elsewhere (Vimeo, cbssports, etc.).

I have used Pandora, but since the Chromecast is connected to the TV, not a receiver, it doesn't make much sense to me to do that. It's easier to connect my phone to the receiver and not bother with the PC.

I have also used the Revision3 app, but it's been horrible. I get much better performance casting a tab from Chrome.
post #638 of 656 Old 10-22-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Cast extension. When someone wants to show a web page to someone else they cast it. Better than crowding around a laptop.
post #639 of 656 Old 10-23-2014, 07:21 AM

Liked: 0
How well does the cast chrome extension work? Any lag? I don't have a laptop but I have tried the mirroring function from my Nexus 4 and it is pretty laggy when streaming a video on the phone it also occasionally cut out the video and audio for a few seconds.

Wondering if a cheap laptop / Chrome Book would be worth adding to my setup.

Last edited by Patryn; 10-23-2014 at 07:24 AM.
post #640 of 656 Old 10-23-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

The better your wi-fi in the area the better it works.
post #641 of 656 Old 10-23-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Wifi strength is important (I added a router as access point behind my tv to keep everything locked in) but remember that casting a tab or mirroring requires the computer or phone to do the heavy lifting. So there will be lag, and using a budget device will lead to less smooth results. I get smooth results from Hulu (casting the tab) if the video feed is set to medium in Hulu's settings. At high, even my i5 powered tower struggles sometimes. My 5-year-old laptop struggles at low quality - so if I need to play from the laptop, it's better to just hook it up directly via HDMI.

The lag isn't a problem, however. You won't be watching both feeds simultaneously, and the audio stays sync'd. If you pause, there's just under a second before the chromecast pauses.
post #642 of 656 Old 10-25-2014, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've been having issues casting the WatchESPN app with my iPhone and iPad. The network connection drops after just a few minutes. My Chromecast is located about 4 feet from my router. I rebooted the Chromecast, but it still doesn't work properly. Does anyone have any suggestions? The main reason I bought this device was for ESPN.
post #643 of 656 Old 10-25-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

My sister came over and we used her cable account at my house to watch ESPN tonight. I had a lot of trouble, but I think I mostly found how to deal with it. It seems to me that the problems are almost always associated with the commercials. I think the way the ad feeds are integrated with the main feed is hard for the Chromecast. If you connect while ads are playing, you get a lot of buffering and it might never lock on. If you connect once the main video is playing on the host device, I think you'll have better luck. When the game breaks for commercial, I find I can disconnect from the Chromecast and let my iPhone handle the commercials, then reconnect as the break ends. This was successful through virtually the whole second half of a football game tonight. Give that a try and let us know if it works.
jer88 likes this.
post #644 of 656 Old 10-26-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I see the ad problem too with Hulu+. It's like if you are watching by Chromecast the ad agencies insist that you be served HD (often 1080p) ads. The ads are selected by your location and demographic and are NOT part of the show stream. Hence it has problems showing the ads and freezes to buffer. Not good. So I wind up watching using my BD player which buffers the ads and everything plays right through. Most of the ads on the BD player are SD and the show itself never impacted. But the buffer freezes on Chromecast can add 1-2 minutes to ad times.

My main problem is losing connection which didn't happen with earlier versions of the Chromecast and Android software. It seems to be effecting many users if you read the Google groups support for Chromecast. Netflix and Google point fingers at each other. I had stopped watching Netflix on the BD player because it had problems playing the streams and at best in 720p but then a few months back the Netflix app was updated on the BD player and now it is playing 1080p but now only streaming PCM audio. On Chromecast I get DD+ if the title has it but a tour of all the resolutions NF provides. Chromecast used to be able to hold 1080p (if the title supported it).

I'm wondering if the new Chromecast is using a better wifi chip as it seems it could use one.
post #645 of 656 Old 10-26-2014, 05:37 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
My main problem is losing connection which didn't happen with earlier versions of the Chromecast and Android software. It seems to be effecting many users if you read the Google groups support for Chromecast. Netflix and Google point fingers at each other. I had stopped watching Netflix on the BD player because it had problems playing the streams and at best in 720p but then a few months back the Netflix app was updated on the BD player and now it is playing 1080p but now only streaming PCM audio. On Chromecast I get DD+ if the title has it but a tour of all the resolutions NF provides. Chromecast used to be able to hold 1080p (if the title supported it).

I'm wondering if the new Chromecast is using a better wifi chip as it seems it could use one.
I have found that my 2 distant Chromecasts were losing connection when I got a new wireless gateway. See my post above:

*Official* Google Chromecast owners thread
Westly-C likes this.
post #646 of 656 Old 10-27-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well Amazon has joined the party with the fire stick that includes dual band wifi and a remote. I like the remote idea and it only costs $5 more than a chromecast. It's $19 for prime members today and tomorrow. It will be available 11/19.

They finally gave a price break to prime customers. I guess they learned something from the phone debacle.
Cla55clown likes this.
post #647 of 656 Old 10-27-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Looks good but of course they are lying about Netflix. It shows the new white logo but I bet you it is still running the old crappy 2+year ported version.
Otherwise it is not bad for its price as it does include dual band WiFi
Quote:
Wi-Fi Connectivity Dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi (MIMO); supports 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi networks.
which is a must if you live in a apartment or brownstone house.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired.

Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 10-27-2014 at 10:35 AM.
post #648 of 656 Old 10-27-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I mostly use Chromecast (connected to back of receiver) to cast HBO Go, Netflix, and Pocket Casts app. Works flawlessly for me. Ordered the Fire Stick for $19 to see how they compare and see if I like the mini remote and gaming capability.
post #649 of 656 Old 10-28-2014, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can anyone here please tell me if the Galaxy S5 Active will ever get screen cast. The regular S5 works so I figure the S5 Active would work also since it is pretty much the same phone. That is the reason I bought chromecast and right now I really cant use it. I cannot find any info from Google if they will ever support this phone.
post #650 of 656 Old 10-29-2014, 05:57 AM

I'm unable to cast the iOS app for PBS Kids. There is no icon to connect the Chromecast. My toddler loves the PBS Kids shows. I need to find a solution so we can watch it in his room. Any suggestions?
post #651 of 656 Old 10-29-2014, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Does that app have Chromecast support built in for iOS? No kids so not familiar with it.
post #652 of 656 Old 10-29-2014, 01:29 PM

PBS Kids is listed as a supported app on the Chromecast website. There is no option to cast using my iPhone or iPad.
post #653 of 656 Old 10-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer88 View Post
PBS Kids is listed as a supported app on the Chromecast website. There is no option to cast using my iPhone or iPad.
I don't have any iOS device to try to help here but I do see it lists support for Chromecast on the iTunes page for the app. So if you don't find an answer, I would suggest contacting PBS through the support link listed in the app. Since I'm not familiar with iPhone troubleshooting steps all I can personally suggest is uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Otherwise, I would contact the app developer for help.
jer88 likes this.
post #654 of 656 Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having a problem with my Chromecast....Or at least that's what I've narrowed it down to.

About two weeks ago I purchased the Chromecast and got it set up, plugging it into an HDMI port on my Yamaha RX-v773. Watched a couple of things on it, everything's working great.

A couple days later, I was watching something on cable tv, and the sound would intermittently cut out, about once every 10 or 15 seconds. No regular pattern to it, and each cut out was a split second, but was very annoying. I figured it was something wrong with the cable box so I did a reset on it, but the next day it was happening again. I was about to call the cable company, but today I noticed the very same behavior while watching Netflix through the PS3. So then I was thinking it's my receiver that's the problem.

Doing a little experimentation, I unplugged the Chromecast from the HDMI port on the receiver, and the problem went away. Since unplugging it, I haven't had a single sound cut out on any other input. It seems that the Chromecast on one HDMI port is somehow causing random sound cutouts on *other* HDMI ports on the receiver.

Has anyone come across this before? And if so, is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks!
-Jason-
post #655 of 656 Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLP View Post
I am having a problem with my Chromecast....Or at least that's what I've narrowed it down to.

About two weeks ago I purchased the Chromecast and got it set up, plugging it into an HDMI port on my Yamaha RX-v773. Watched a couple of things on it, everything's working great.

A couple days later, I was watching something on cable tv, and the sound would intermittently cut out, about once every 10 or 15 seconds. No regular pattern to it, and each cut out was a split second, but was very annoying. I figured it was something wrong with the cable box so I did a reset on it, but the next day it was happening again. I was about to call the cable company, but today I noticed the very same behavior while watching Netflix through the PS3. So then I was thinking it's my receiver that's the problem.

Doing a little experimentation, I unplugged the Chromecast from the HDMI port on the receiver, and the problem went away. Since unplugging it, I haven't had a single sound cut out on any other input. It seems that the Chromecast on one HDMI port is somehow causing random sound cutouts on *other* HDMI ports on the receiver.

Has anyone come across this before? And if so, is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks!
-Jason-
Did you try plugging the Chromecast into a different HDMI port for instance the V -Aux HDMI in the front of the receiver? I have not heard of your problem before and I have the Yamaha RX -V675.
post #656 of 656 Old Today, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLP View Post

Thanks!
-Jason-
Pretty common issue because TV chassis, connections, etc. are loaded with metal causing interference. Get a HDMI extension of a few feet and get the Chromecast far away from the TV.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver