post #631 of 633 Old 09-07-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloydhomer View Post
Is there a way to use Chromecast as an wireless digital audio source for my surround receiver?

Preferably:

- without having to turn on the tv, instead being controlled from a computer, tablet or phone.
- the music files themselves being stored on a local NAS or a local share from a computer etc.
- with the ability to play at least lossless 44.1 KHz 16-bit but preferably lossless 192 KHz 24-bit.
The answer to #1 is yes. In fact, you MUST use Chromecast this way. There is no remote control, or way to control it, except via apps on other devices.
#2 : Sort of. If you use a quasi proprietary DLNA server that has a dedicated special client app that is Chromecast friendly. (Plex is often mentioned.)
#3 : I don't know, since I don't have an app like alluded to in #2 , and none of the movie services are streaming high res soundtracks.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 633 Old 09-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Slingbox support for Chromecast. http://blog.sling.com/2014/09/17/chr...g-has-arrived/
I know people had asked about this before.
post #633 of 633 Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My three Chromecasts worked fine in different corners of the house for over a year. Then my router died and the new Comcast Arris wireless gateway didn't have the range to reach two of them, although iPad and iPhones worked throughout the house. I returned it and Comcast gave me a Technicolor gateway, and everything works fine now. Hope this might help fellow owners.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page