Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #661 of 674 Old 11-30-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Sure, that's one example. I've not used any of them so I don't have specific experience to offer as to which are better/worse. An important issue to consider is HDMI handshaking between the source and the destinations is involved. As in, the device handling the output is involved in negotiations with the source. If the output device handles only stereo then it'll signal the source and that's what the source will provide. You'd have to check whether devices like that bump the output down to only right/left stereo or not. Otherwise you'd be stuck using only that for ALL output from the Chromecast. This would be a bad thing for movies that have surround-sound features. It's entirely possible that the splitter device could accept multi-channel and convert that internally, but that would require the splitter to have support for that (and presumably pay Dolby licensing).

So, check as to how the source audio is negotiated and understand whether or not that's a problem for you or not.

As for watching TV while guests are over.. not sure that's the most hospitable approach to things, but hey...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 674 Old 12-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Guest Mode (can connect without WiFi) is now active for Android devices. Here are the details. https://support.google.com/chromecas...c=6109288&rd=1
post #663 of 674 Old 12-14-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The updated Android app let me mirror my 2012 Nexus 7 with my Chromecast.

Neil
post #664 of 674 Old 12-30-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Chromecast Refuses to Relinquish Control of AVR

I've had a Chromecast for over 8 months and generally been pleased. Just recently I've started having an odd problem and I'm looking for advice.

The device is plugged into my Pioneer VSX-1122 and is on the 2.4 side of my wireless router. No other networks nearby, I'm in the country. I did just recently add a FireTV stick onto the AVR, but it's on the 5GHz side and I think the timing is coincidental.

Anyway, when I cast from YouTube to the device from my iPad Air, when done the AVR will not play any other HDMI input. When selecting those other inputs, the TV just says no signal. About 25%of the time, turning the AVR off and on gets everything going but most of the time I have to actually reboot the Chromecast to access other inputs.

Anyone seen this or have any ideas?

Last edited by WMConey; 12-30-2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Clarification / typo
post #665 of 674 Old 12-31-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 72
You might want to bring it up on the 1122 thread:
"OFFICIAL" Pioneer VSX-1122-k Owners Thread

Have you tried moving the Chromecast and FireTV to different HDMI ports?

I've never really liked the way the Chromecast tended to cause my AVR to automatically switch to it. That is, I dislike that there's not an option on the Chromecast to disable this.
post #666 of 674 Old 12-31-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMConey View Post

Anyone seen this or have any ideas?
1 Do you Stop Casting explicitly?
2 Try removing FireTV?
3 Put the Chromecast on a HDMI extension and get it away from the TV and anything metal.
post #667 of 674 Old 12-31-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
You might want to bring it up on the 1122 thread:
"OFFICIAL" Pioneer VSX-1122-k Owners Thread

Have you tried moving the Chromecast and FireTV to different HDMI ports?

I've never really liked the way the Chromecast tended to cause my AVR to automatically switch to it. That is, I dislike that there's not an option on the Chromecast to disable this.
They are on different ports. I've tried moving, switching, etc.
post #668 of 674 Old 12-31-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
1 Do you Stop Casting explicitly?
2 Try removing FireTV?
3 Put the Chromecast on a HDMI extension and get it away from the TV and anything metal.
1. Sometimes yes. Switching the cast back to the iPad or disconnecting doesn't seem to make a difference.

2. Not sure what you're suggesting. All HDMI ports except the Chromecast one are disfunctional.

3. Ah, good thought...

Regards.
post #669 of 674 Old 12-31-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMConey View Post

2. Not sure what you're suggesting. All HDMI ports except the Chromecast one are dysfunctional.
Not sure what "disfunctional" means - if turned off that does not mean interference is impossible.
post #670 of 674 Old 01-09-2015, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi,
First post in this thread.
I would like to connect Chromecast to an HDMI port on my theater pre-pro (Integra DHC-80.3).
Let’s say I am controlling Chromecast from my Google Play iPad app and I am playing a Google Play Music All Access radio station and let’s assume I have good WIFI in my home theater.

Will Chromecast receive 320 kbps MP3 radio tracks from the internet or will it be less (e.g. 192 kbps)? Does the Chromecast do the codec conversion from MP3 to PCM? i.e. it sends PCM over HDMI into my pre-pro. Or does it send the MP3 file into my pre-pro and my pre-pro does the codec conversion?

In general, when playing All Access Radio into your receiver, does the music sound ok? Does it sound like 320 kbps?

thanks
bao

B&W 802 Diamond mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center, B&W 804 Diamond surrounds, Parasound HALO A 51, Krell KAV-300i , Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro, two JL Audio Fathom f113 subs, Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma
post #671 of 674 Old 01-11-2015, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
My opinon and thoughts - Chromecast now a SUPER app

Just discovered this thread.
Have had Chromecast since the lst day Amazon had it for sale.

Until last few weeks have used CC just for casting from Chrome browser tags. Access Netflix and youtube.

Then found out the latest upgrade of the CC app on my S4 (and several other Android phones) allow you to cast ANYthing that appears on your phone screen. If you can get the ESPN, TCM, XfinityGo etc. apps to play - it casts perfectly to your big screen.

Before this - could get some of the apps to play fine on a tablet or phone - but often had trouble casting. Now, since it seems to cast perfectly from the phone --- will be able to cut way back on cable subscription in second home. We already had cut back quite a bit. Don't need Comcast for internet - bldg. has independent 3rd party high speed service. Do need it for basic channels. Main home has full pkg. via HOA - which is why we have access to all these TV sources. Besides, this new feature makes it easy to display any pics and videos you have stored on the phone.

Downside is that it is hard to use your phone as a phone when you ant to cast. I'm thinking, before casting, need to fwd calls to another phone in the home.
post #672 of 674 Old 01-11-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Do be surprised if Comcast is checking to see you are on your home modem for all but a few minor channels.
post #673 of 674 Old 01-12-2015, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The only time Comcast doesn't play nice with being out of the home is if you are trying to use the Xbox app. The mobile apps work fine for all the Live TV outside your home.
post #674 of 674 Old 01-12-2015, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Do be surprised if Comcast is checking to see you are on your home modem for all but a few minor channels.
Have had no trouble using Comcast apps in 2nd home when Comcast was our internet provider and now that we have a bldg. wide service from an independent ISP. I am surprised because it enables us, and others, to cut back on level of TV service in a 2nd location and/or a kid's home. Same w. HBO and SHO and others that have their own apps separate from xfinitygo. All we need to do the first time we use an app on a device is enter the login info (ID/PW) of main Comcast acct. It remembers login info after that.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver