*Official* Google Chromecast owners thread - Page 24 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothbay View Post
Doesn't one have to have a browser in order to continue? If so, how does one get a browser on my Smart tv? Thanks...you can see i am confused. LOL
It depends on what else you have going on in your house or WiFi network. Most of my use for my Chromecast comes through casting tabs from the Chrome browser on my PC. I can watch Hulu or just show my wife something (like a funny image or nonsense from Facebook) by casting the tab. This requires the Chrome browser and the free Google Cast extension.

The other simple thing to do is use a tablet or smartphone with one of the supported apps, like YouTube (or WatchESPN, or Vudu). When I connect my phone to my WiFi network and launch the YouTube app, an extra icon appears to control casting. Once I select a video to watch, I tap the cast button and tell the app to play the video on the Chromecast. It's magic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
It depends on what else you have going on in your house or WiFi network. Most of my use for my Chromecast comes through casting tabs from the Chrome browser on my PC. I can watch Hulu or just show my wife something (like a funny image or nonsense from Facebook) by casting the tab. This requires the Chrome browser and the free Google Cast extension.

The other simple thing to do is use a tablet or smartphone with one of the supported apps, like YouTube (or WatchESPN, or Vudu). When I connect my phone to my WiFi network and launch the YouTube app, an extra icon appears to control casting. Once I select a video to watch, I tap the cast button and tell the app to play the video on the Chromecast. It's magic.
I don't understand the first part of the Quote///"It depends what else i have going on in my home".? On my bedroom setup tv/Monitor I was able to go to chromecast website, but although i have wi-fi with my new smart tv, I do not know how I can get Chromecast there? There is what they call a browser, but it does not make any sense in part, cause a keyboard or the option to use my keyboard ( that I am aware of ) to be used to go and download Chrome. Also, what puzzle's me is once you have it setup on one TV, does it have to be re-setup for any other TV? I now recall after doing the bedroom setup, I did go to the internet and and downloaded something, I forgot what it was...this was done almost 2 months ago when i just did it once and forgot about it till now...Thanx
Old 02-18-2015, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You can only cast to the device it is plugged into.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I'm confused. Did you purchase a Chromecast and plug it into the TV's HDMI input? After that, download and run the setup app from a computer or tablet/smartphone connected to the WiFi: https://cast.google.com/chromecast/setup/ (you won't be able to use the TV's browser for this, I think, because you'll need the TV set to the Chramecast's HDMI input during the setup process, and I don't think the setup app will install and run on your TV - it's designed for either PCs or smartphones/tablets) When you run the setup app, the Chromecast device gets connected to your WiFi network. Once that is done, you can direct video streams to the Chromecast using one of the techniques I described. Does that make sense?

The Chromecast is designed to work in a passive, behind-the-scenes sort of way. It requires a third device (TV, Chomecast, plus one other device) to work as a remote and interface to select content.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:12 AM

Liked: 0
I think I may have gotten ethernet working on the Chromecast. Can anyone suggest a way to test the speed? My DHCP router is a WNDR3700v3 and I also have a WNR3500L and a WRT310N. I turned off my radios on all the SSIDs I ever told my Chromecast to connect to. I have an E2500 on the other end of the house, but I never told Chromecast to connect to it, so it shouldn't be using that.
The steps I used were:
Plug Powered USB Hub into Power Adapter via AC
Plug USB Hub into OTG Cable
Plug OTG Cable into Chromecast
(At this point the Chromecast LED lit up and booted)
Plug USB Ethernet Adapter into USB Hub
Plug Ethernet line into USB Ethernet Adapter
(At this point the USB Ethernet Adapter's RJ45 jack started blinking)

When I checked my DHCP enabled router for "Attached Devices", the Chromecast showed up under "Wired".
To "make sure", I disabled my wireless radios on both of my routers supplying WiFi.
It seemed not to work for a bit, but after waiting(and realising I could not push a YouTube video from my Android when my WiFi radios were off), and pushing a video from my Laptop, it seemed to start working.

So, at this point I'm wondering what the speed and ping is that I am getting and I am also pondering the possibility as using it as a "wireless" display for a laptop hooked up to Ethernet.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:34 PM

Seems I'm having the same issue someone else did awhile back where having the Chromecast connected to ANY HDMI port would cause the picture to break up every couple of seconds. Panasonic TC-L32X1, connect Chromecast and even signal from the tuner would go haywire from time to time even with a good reception. Either unplug the device from the TV altogether or just pull the power cable from it (but leave it attached to the TV) and the problem stops. I've tried the extender, using different HDMI ports and substituted the power adapter but makes no difference.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap1972 View Post
Seems I'm having the same issue someone else did awhile back where having the Chromecast connected to ANY HDMI port would cause the picture to break up every couple of seconds. Panasonic TC-L32X1, connect Chromecast and even signal from the tuner would go haywire from time to time even with a good reception. Either unplug the device from the TV altogether or just pull the power cable from it (but leave it attached to the TV) and the problem stops. I've tried the extender, using different HDMI ports and substituted the power adapter but makes no difference.
<br />
<br />
My best guess is that it might be drawing or producing too much power. If you have &quot;MHL&quot; HDMI ports, try using the type you aren't using. My stupid advice us to block the pins that have to do with voltage on the hdmi port.

PS: Is there a reason the instructions for routing or flashing(I forget which) require some kind of Teensy?

Last edited by xnamkcor; 02-20-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:16 PM

And I've disabled Vieralink but doesn't help, in case anyone suggests that.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not sure when this started but I noticed last night that HBOGO now streams in Dolby Digital Plus from Chromecast, can anyone else confirm?
Old 02-22-2015, 06:38 AM

So far, my best guess is that the Teensy sends commands, like reboot recovery, and some exploit commands that need to be used to complete the process.

I'm wondering if now that I can use a USB Hub to use a USB flash drive and a USB Ethernet Adapter, is there any other method to send the commands other than owning a device that costs more than half what I paid for my Chromecast? Maybe a program on the computer(or even an android) to act as a console and a cable? And run a script or manually type commands over the USB?
Old 02-23-2015, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter67 View Post
Not sure when this started but I noticed last night that HBOGO now streams in Dolby Digital Plus from Chromecast, can anyone else confirm?
Yes indeed! Great find!

Neil
Old 02-24-2015, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter67 View Post
Thanks I'll use it to stream GoT from now on.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Ignore
Old 03-03-2015, 05:08 PM

For the record, I bought an HDMI cable coupler and moved the Chromecast away from the TV and it appears the problem went away. Guessing somehow it was interfering with the tuner being in close proximity to it.
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamkcor View Post
I think I may have gotten ethernet working on the Chromecast. Can anyone suggest a way to test the speed? My DHCP router is a WNDR3700v3 and I also have a WNR3500L and a WRT310N. I turned off my radios on all the SSIDs I ever told my Chromecast to connect to. I have an E2500 on the other end of the house, but I never told Chromecast to connect to it, so it shouldn't be using that.
The steps I used were:
Plug Powered USB Hub into Power Adapter via AC
Plug USB Hub into OTG Cable
Plug OTG Cable into Chromecast
(At this point the Chromecast LED lit up and booted)
Plug USB Ethernet Adapter into USB Hub
Plug Ethernet line into USB Ethernet Adapter
(At this point the USB Ethernet Adapter's RJ45 jack started blinking)

When I checked my DHCP enabled router for "Attached Devices", the Chromecast showed up under "Wired".
To "make sure", I disabled my wireless radios on both of my routers supplying WiFi.
It seemed not to work for a bit, but after waiting(and realising I could not push a YouTube video from my Android when my WiFi radios were off), and pushing a video from my Laptop, it seemed to start working.

So, at this point I'm wondering what the speed and ping is that I am getting and I am also pondering the possibility as using it as a "wireless" display for a laptop hooked up to Ethernet.
Hello,

You can use this app to run a speedtest: hxxps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.libspeed4cast.app&hl=en (replace the xx)

If that doesn't work for whatever reason, just push a high bitrate video from your laptop and monitor the upload rate. Would probably work best if you push a video that doesn't need to be transcoded. If you actually got it to work well over ethernet, then I will have to try this. I notice it starts stuttering if the video needs sustained rates above ~25Mb/s or so over wireless.
Old Today, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abobo View Post
Hello,

You can use this app to run a speedtest: hxxps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.libspeed4cast.app&hl=en (replace the xx)

If that doesn't work for whatever reason, just push a high bitrate video from your laptop and monitor the upload rate. Would probably work best if you push a video that doesn't need to be transcoded. If you actually got it to work well over ethernet, then I will have to try this. I notice it starts stuttering if the video needs sustained rates above ~25Mb/s or so over wireless.
I did a quick test with wireless and got about 25Mb/s.
I'll have to find my USB to barrel connector.
And from what I saw the last few times I used the adapter on an android, it seems to only be a 10Mb/s adapter.

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver