*Official* Google Chromecast owners thread - Page 25 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #721 of 744 Old 04-22-2015, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamkcor View Post
I'm starting to get the feeling I'm the only person here with 3 Dual Band N routers with gigabit Ethernet ports spread across my house with CAT 6 cable.

PS: Any modern "media" or "casting" device without both Dual Band and Gigabit Ethernet is not even trying to be useful. I wonder what kind of bandwidth one could get using G,N, and AC at the same time, using all non-overlapping channels all at once. You'd just need about 9 radios to do it.
Nope; I just bought a NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router. All my problems vanished with this device. It's funny how people complain & spend a lot of time trouble shooting to isolate the problem, when a new state of the art product will solve all their problems now & for many months ahead.
I can also select channels via an app on my smartphone. Full control from my couch & a network map.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 744 Old 04-22-2015, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Nope; I just bought a NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router. All my problems vanished with this device. It's funny how people complain & spend a lot of time trouble shooting to isolate the problem, when a new state of the art product will solve all their problems now & for many months ahead.
I can also select channels via an app on my smartphone. Full control from my couch & a network map.
I prefer an even spread of moderately priced routers over a single premium/new priced router. Though, AC would be nice. Though, that opinion may be biased by the fact that I got each of my routers for less than 10 USD from a thrift store.
post #723 of 744 Old 04-22-2015, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Xnamkcor,

That's great that you got so many routers for such a great price, but I'd have to agree with Geezer. Some of the new router offering from Negtear, Asus, Linksys, etc. are very good (powerful, good extension on range, and incredible on-board processors). The one mentioned above (I use it also, Netgear R8000, has dual core 1GH processor and three offload processors. When we 'cut the cable' about 5 years ago, I made sure we had a good wired and wireless setup, and this included upgrading routers/modems a second time to keep up. The wired portion of the house is all CAT6 cable and each room has gigabit switches. The 2nd access point is wired also (repeaters tend to drop the signal to 50% of the original AP).

Again, if what you're doing (and at a great price) is working well for you, no reason to change it. But the newer routers do offer a LOT. All the houses around me (actually two houses beyond the office where AP1 is located) can see a strong signal from the R8000, I was quite impressed. Before that I was using the R7000 which now serves as the 2nd AP on the other side of the house to keep the signal strong beyond that point (non-overlapping channels as you mentioned of course). Technology in the wireless area has been improved quite a bit IMO.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #724 of 744 Old 04-22-2015, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Be careful with those gigabit switches. I had 2 fail on me recently. Took me quite a while to isolate the problem. Most are Chinese junk & fail from heat within 2 years.

Sent from my HTC One M8
post #725 of 744 Old 04-22-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
Xnamkcor,

That's great that you got so many routers for such a great price, but I'd have to agree with Geezer. Some of the new router offering from Negtear, Asus, Linksys, etc. are very good (powerful, good extension on range, and incredible on-board processors). The one mentioned above (I use it also, Netgear R8000, has dual core 1GH processor and three offload processors. When we 'cut the cable' about 5 years ago, I made sure we had a good wired and wireless setup, and this included upgrading routers/modems a second time to keep up. The wired portion of the house is all CAT6 cable and each room has gigabit switches. The 2nd access point is wired also (repeaters tend to drop the signal to 50% of the original AP).

Again, if what you're doing (and at a great price) is working well for you, no reason to change it. But the newer routers do offer a LOT. All the houses around me (actually two houses beyond the office where AP1 is located) can see a strong signal from the R8000, I was quite impressed. Before that I was using the R7000 which now serves as the 2nd AP on the other side of the house to keep the signal strong beyond that point (non-overlapping channels as you mentioned of course). Technology in the wireless area has been improved quite a bit IMO.
If I had more AC capable devices I may think of getting at least one AC capable router. I get full signal across most of the house, I just like having the multiple radios(which the Nighhawkx6 does have) which can handle multiple host devices at once. If there were a significant advantage to having faster WiFi, I would get AC, but for now I'll settle for lower speed.

PS: My active routers/SW are WNDR3700v3(Primary/DHCP), Netgear GS108(SW for Primary), EA3500(Work Area AP/SW), WNDR4300(LivingRoom AP/SW), and an F9K1103(Dedicated Roku AP).
"Retired" are WNR3500(Replaced by EA3500 for Dual Band), WRT310N(Replaced by WNDR3700 for Dual Band, Speed, and Better Management), 2(two) E2500s(Replaced for not being gigabit).
Not Yet Implemented is a "SE2800"(Label says 8-Port Gigabitm but it only has 5 ports and actual shell is printed with "SE2500"). Can never have enough Gigabit switches.

I'm still debating whether I should wait for 10Gb Ethernet to be affordable, or to just invest in Fiber Optic LAN for its EMI "resistance" and max cable length.

PSS: I also have a Cisco 2501 and a Cisco Aironet 1200, but those were mostly for screwing around and practice for class.
post #726 of 744 Old 04-23-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Be careful with those gigabit switches. I had 2 fail on me recently. Took me quite a while to isolate the problem. Most are Chinese junk & fail from heat within 2 years.

Sent from my HTC One M8
I've never had a problem with the gigabit switches that I use (have set up many in other homes also with no issues). I always use Negtear ProSAFE switches (business quality, metal cases). They are very stable.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...it%2Caps%2C192
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Netgear-JGS524.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	681953   Click image for larger version

Name:	GS108GE_1600x1600.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	681961  

Ray

post #727 of 744 Old 04-23-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If I had more AC capable devices I may think of getting at least one AC capable router. I get full signal across most of the house, I just like having the multiple radios(which the Nighhawkx6 does have) which can handle multiple host devices at once. If there were a significant advantage to having faster WiFi, I would get AC, but for now I'll settle for lower speed.

PS: My active routers/SW are WNDR3700v3(Primary/DHCP), Netgear GS108(SW for Primary), EA3500(Work Area AP/SW), WNDR4300(LivingRoom AP/SW), and an F9K1103(Dedicated Roku AP).
"Retired" are WNR3500(Replaced by EA3500 for Dual Band), WRT310N(Replaced by WNDR3700 for Dual Band, Speed, and Better Management), 2(two) E2500s(Replaced for not being gigabit).
Not Yet Implemented is a "SE2800"(Label says 8-Port Gigabitm but it only has 5 ports and actual shell is printed with "SE2500"). Can never have enough Gigabit switches.

I'm still debating whether I should wait for 10Gb Ethernet to be affordable, or to just invest in Fiber Optic LAN for its EMI "resistance" and max cable length.

PSS: I also have a Cisco 2501 and a Cisco Aironet 1200, but those were mostly for screwing around and practice for class.
Looks like you have a lot of hardware! I usually end up passing my older ones to friends when upgrading, although I do have a couple routers not being used at the moment. Where are you located? Gigabit providers are not that common, I know that Google is dropping lines in select cities (1GB down and up). Wish we had it here. I have Comcast Blast 50/10, but usually get 80/15.

Ray

post #728 of 744 Old 04-23-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
I've never had a problem with the gigabit switches that I use (have set up many in other homes also with no issues). I always use Negtear ProSAFE switches (business quality, metal cases). They are very stable.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...it%2Caps%2C192
I agree I use Monoprice, TP-Link and UPVEL switches and not one of them failed yet.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) 208.67.222.220, 8.8.4.4.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Sony BDPS5200, Sony PS4.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim.
Cats are the best pets.
post #729 of 744 Old 04-23-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Looks like you have a lot of hardware! I usually end up passing my older ones to friends when upgrading, although I do have a couple routers not being used at the moment. Where are you located? Gigabit providers are not that common, I know that Google is dropping lines in select cities (1GB down and up). Wish we had it here. I have Comcast Blast 50/10, but usually get 80/15.
I'm talking about 10Gb/s strictly for my LAN(inside the house).
post #730 of 744 Old 04-23-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Usually there is more going on inside your home than Internet traffic, things like file sharing, AirPlay.... Ethernet speed often can only make half the network devices rated speed, multiple devices means packet collision. So go overboard with routers and switches. I also have Cat6 and gigabit devices.
post #731 of 744 Old 04-23-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
Usually there is more going on inside your home than Internet traffic, things like file sharing, AirPlay.... Ethernet speed often can only make half the network devices rated speed, multiple devices means packet collision. So go overboard with routers and switches. I also have Cat6 and gigabit devices.
Collisions? Are you using gigabit hubs?
post #732 of 744 Old 04-23-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Got it, for the most part most folks would never use the capacity of 1 GB/S.

Ray

post #733 of 744 Old 04-23-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We're really off topic here, but related (and something to talk about).

When I was setting up my network, I talked with a Netgear tech to look at capabilities and limitations. For their line of Gigabit Switches mentioned above, the limit before having issues (and dropping service provider internet speed) was 124 devices. So, I was not worried and have never had any issues - so far - with any data transfer and streaming to multiple devices at a time.

In the future, I may invest in 10GB network - but that's when we move to a new place (not re-doing the current one as it's been working). I attached our current network below - quite a lot hooked up and that doesn't include when we have friends over (or my son has play dates) and many more devices are attached to it -mostly wireless for them. Technology is such a fun thing these days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boucher Ethernet 4-14-2015.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	682721  

Ray

post #734 of 744 Old 04-23-2015, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I agree I use Monoprice, TP-Link and UPVEL switches and not one of them failed yet.
I've purchased some of their cables, but never their electronics. Good to see they are working - their prices are very reasonable.

Ray

post #735 of 744 Old 04-23-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

xnamkcor

You mentioned 'class', are you in school for IT at the moment?

Ray

post #736 of 744 Old 04-23-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Got it, for the most part most folks would never use the capacity of 1 GB/S.
SSD NAS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon;
xnamkcor

You mentioned 'class', are you in school for IT at the moment?
Cisco Net Admin or BPC. Haven't decided yet. They share some requisites, so I'm doing those now along with my core subjects.
post #737 of 744 Old 04-23-2015, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Xnamkcor,

SSD NAS, a bit expensive if you want a LOT of memory. Maybe in the future it would be affordable. I'm still using a lot of 7200 rpm HD's.

As for your field of choice, both are great for the market!

PM Sent

Ray

post #738 of 744 Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Question for you guys w. high speed internet.
For average home use - is there any real diff. between getting Comcast 20-30Mbps and something faster? When our apt. bldg was hooked up to a service that gives 260Mbps+ (ping is 4 to 6), UP/Down, the only thing I noticed was that there are no buffering pauses when watching Netflix! Otherwise, when doing surfing, like here on AVS, I don't notice anything diff. My computer is a 3-4 y.o. HP laptop. Maybe it's because sites like this have to DL lots of ads?
post #739 of 744 Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Question for you guys w. high speed internet.
For average home use - is there any real diff. between getting Comcast 20-30Mbps and something faster? When our apt. bldg was hooked up to a service that gives 260Mbps+ (ping is 4 to 6), UP/Down, the only thing I noticed was that there are no buffering pauses when watching Netflix! Otherwise, when doing surfing, like here on AVS, I don't notice anything diff. My computer is a 3-4 y.o. HP laptop. Maybe it's because sites like this have to DL lots of ads?
25Mbps should be the most you ever need since is sufficient for bluray video. Especially since 99% of servers wouldn't even let you get higher than 5Mbps access anyway.
post #740 of 744 Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
25Mbps should be the most you ever need since is sufficient for bluray video. Especially since 99% of servers wouldn't even let you get higher than 5Mbps access anyway.
That's my point -- why would the average home owner care about having anything over a SOLID 50Mbps? They could be watching 2 diff. streaming TV programs and posting on AVS.
The problem w. Comcast was (is) their 25Mbps is not solid and can cause an occasional pause for buffering while watching Netflix. And their UP speed might be to restricted if you have a few security video cameras. Their UP speed never seems to measure much over 5Mbps.
post #741 of 744 Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
That's my point -- why would the average home owner care about having anything over a SOLID 50Mbps? They could be watching 2 diff. streaming TV programs and posting on AVS.
The problem w. Comcast was (is) their 25Mbps is not solid and can cause an occasional pause for buffering while watching Netflix. And their UP speed might be to restricted if you have a few security video cameras. Their UP speed never seems to measure much over 5Mbps.
If the power company charged for 115v and only gave you 64 volts whenever it was "not an efficient investment of money and resources to supply the full voltage" and 115v was only supplied 25% of the time, there would be a federal case.
post #742 of 744 Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Collisions? Are you using gigabit hubs?
Gigabit switches=yes Switches are smart, hubs are dumb
post #743 of 744 Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Gigabit switches=yes Switches are smart, hubs are dumb
You should not be getting collisions on a switch. Check your settings if it's a managed switch. Are you using a hub on one of the switch ports?
post #744 of 744 Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Agreed, you should not have any collisions with smart switches.

As for 'why' someone would need more than 50Mps download service, it really would depend on how many devices are connected and how many are streaming. There are times when we have guest/family over that we can easily have at least 5 HD streams, a couple music streams, and online gaming. Under those conditions, you do need a fast ISP. Just for kicks, I did try out even more streams to check when buffering started occurring. I had 15 concurrent devices and had no issues with buffering with Comcast (which is a 50/10 service, but usually a bit higher). For Century link (which is a 40/5 service in our area) I got buffering when 10 devices were streaming at the same time.

Realistic though, most families (unless they are very large) would at most maybe be streaming no more than 4-5 devices at a time. But, some online gaming can really suck the bandwidth.

As for the Chromecast, it works pretty well but I would also opt for a 5GHz connection if it had it.

Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page