*Official* Google Chromecast owners thread - Page 26 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
post #751 of 761 Old 04-29-2015, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hoping someone might be able to help me with this issue. I've been having issues getting my chromecast to send a 5.1 Dolby Digital+ signal to my AVR (Denon 2112ci) while using google play's app on my iphone 6. I bought a few movies from the google play store that support 5.1 (Interstellar, Hunger Games) and can't get dolby digital + to play, just stereo.

I did some troubleshooting and reset the chromecast to factory settings and re-setup everything. I was able to get DD+ to work with the Netflix app from my iphone to the chromecast so I know there's no issue with my gear, it's something with google play. Is there a setting in google play or any suggestions anyone can give me on how to get the play movies to output DD+ as well? i tried going through all the menus and didn't see any options other than subtitles regarding audio or video quality.

Appreciate your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 761 Old 04-29-2015, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmlamb View Post
Hoping someone might be able to help me with this issue. I've been having issues getting my chromecast to send a 5.1 Dolby Digital+ signal to my AVR (Denon 2112ci) while using google play's app on my iphone 6. I bought a few movies from the google play store that support 5.1 (Interstellar, Hunger Games) and can't get dolby digital + to play, just stereo.

I did some troubleshooting and reset the chromecast to factory settings and re-setup everything. I was able to get DD+ to work with the Netflix app from my iphone to the chromecast so I know there's no issue with my gear, it's something with google play. Is there a setting in google play or any suggestions anyone can give me on how to get the play movies to output DD+ as well? i tried going through all the menus and didn't see any options other than subtitles regarding audio or video quality.

Appreciate your input.
Have you tried playing the movies on another device you know supports 5.1?
post #753 of 761 Old 04-29-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamkcor View Post
Have you tried playing the movies on another device you know supports 5.1?
I can get 5.1 DD+ on the chromecast with the netflix app, just not with google play.

I can also get 5.1 DD+ on my PS3 for netflix, but the PS3 doesn't have a google play app to try.

I was going to try using the cast feature on my PC instead of the iphone when I got home tonight, but I don't see why it would matter because the iphone isn't playing anything, it's just functioning as the remote for the app on the chromecast itself.
post #754 of 761 Old 04-29-2015, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I can get 5.1 DD+ on the chromecast with the netflix app, just not with google play.

I can also get 5.1 DD+ on my PS3 for netflix, but the PS3 doesn't have a google play app to try.
I thought we were troubleshooting Google Play. Does Netflix play your Google Play movies?

Quote:
I don't see why it would matter
Establishing a baseline for functionality. If 5.1 never works, it'd be silly to assume it works on something.

PS: Which HDMI port is your Chromecast attached to? Are you using ARC?
post #755 of 761 Old 04-29-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamkcor View Post
I thought we were troubleshooting Google Play. Does Netflix play your Google Play movies?

Establishing a baseline for functionality. If 5.1 never works, it'd be silly to assume it works on something.

PS: Which HDMI port is your Chromecast attached to? Are you using ARC?
I see what you're referring to. I was only mentioning Netflix because I know my receiver and the chromecast are both able to support 5.1 showing that it's an issue only with the google play source.

I'll definitely try using my PC to start the movie when I get home this evening to test as you suggested.

I have it plugged directly into my Denon AVR (2112ci). I've tried 3 different HDMI ports on my receiver (DVD, Sat/cable, and Game1). All work fine for everything except the play store for passing through audio correctly.

Thanks for your help.

*EDIT*

Google support suggested the following, I'll update tonight after getting a chance to try:

Please try the following troubleshooting steps: (remember to test the sound after each step)
Use the back arrow to go back to the main menu, then try playing the movie again.
Check that the Wi-Fi connection is strong (streaming playback using cellular data is not supported at this time).
Turn off Wi-Fi on your device, then turn it back on again.

Please try downloading the video to your device to see if the issue still occurs. To do so:
Open the Google Play Movies & TV app.
Touch the download icon on iOS.
Once your video has been saved to your device, it will display a red checkmark.
Sign out of the app (go to Menu > Settings [gear icon] > Sign out), then sign in again. This clears the data cache.
Uninstall the app, then reinstall it. This clears the app’s data cache and image cache.

Should all these steps not help, you may want to try and play the movie through the YouTube app and see if you are able to control more audio options:
Open the YouTube app.
Touch the Menu button at the top left (3 lines).
You will see a tab marked 'Purchases'.
Touch Purchases and here you will see your movie library.
Try playing movies from here and see if you can adjust the audio

Last edited by brianmlamb; 04-29-2015 at 11:01 AM.
post #756 of 761 Old 04-29-2015, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Google Play does not support Dolby Digital+.

Google Play Movies uses HE-AAC. When playing a movie from them with the Chromecast, the device should decode that and send out a 5.1 PCM signal. That's how my system handles it.

Neil
post #757 of 761 Old 04-29-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post
Google Play does not support Dolby Digital+.

Google Play Movies uses HE-AAC. When playing a movie from them with the Chromecast, the device should decode that and send out a 5.1 PCM signal. That's how my system handles it.

Neil
I've never heard of HE-AAC. Maybe my receiver doesn't support it =(. How do you get the 5.1 PCM signal to show up?

Tried casting interstellar from the youtube app on my phone, reinstalling the play app, and using my home PC to cast and wasn't able to get 5.1 to work at all. I've only got the options: Stereo, Multi in, Multi Ch Stereo, virtual, and direct. Multi in seems like it might be somewhat surround soundish as does direct, but I have to turn the volume up to almost reference level (0) to hear the dialogue while it makes the subs super loud. No issues with any of my other sources from cable to netflix to bluray.
post #758 of 761 Old 04-29-2015, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You won't get it "casting" from YouTube. Use the Google Play Movies app and "cast" from that.

Neil
post #759 of 761 Old 04-29-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post
You won't get it "casting" from YouTube. Use the Google Play Movies app and "cast" from that.

Neil
That was what I was originally using and had issues with. The Google play app won't pass through a decent audio signal. Even stereo it's pretty poor and difficult to hear. I used youtube as an alternative to cast per the suggestion of the google tech support. Appreciate the help troubleshooting.
post #760 of 761 Unread Today, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What is the best cast player for chromecast?
post #761 of 761 Unread Today, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In my opinion All Cast is the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page