*Official* Google Chromecast owners thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
post #781 of 802 Old 08-09-2015, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Sure you can throw more capability into any device. Then it would not be $30 anymore. Pick your poison.
It's still 35 USD. The only time it was thirty is when the retailer marked it down at its own cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 802 Old 08-09-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 128
whatever... you get the idea
post #783 of 802 Old 08-09-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
whatever... you get the idea
There are so many thing impacting cost. Most of which is what Google feels they can sell it for. Parts and R&D factor in too, but on devices like this it is a lot less a factore than say, a GPU or CPU. If the cost of a "lower cost" is a product that is missing important features, I'd rather pay more money.
post #784 of 802 Old 08-09-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 128
quick search says 17M sold so whine on...
post #785 of 802 Old 08-09-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
quick search says 17M sold so whine on...
If it means a better product or someone competing with them, I will. They don't get a free pass on their mistakes just because 17M people bought them.
post #786 of 802 Old 08-09-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Now if they'd just allow me to purchase the total number I need all at once. Instead I've had to use mine and my wife's accounts to order them one at a time, about a week apart. Really?

It does work and requires no setup changes. Just swap it out for the original power supply and plug it into an ethernet port. Trouble is one of my TVs has too many ethernet devices. TV, AVR, Tivo, Amazon Fire and the uplink took all 5 ports on an old E3200 router I'd put there as a WiFi access point (to provide better coverage to that part of the house). Now I have to put a switch up there too. Which also means another power outlet position and I think the strip is full.
post #787 of 802 Old 08-09-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Now if they'd just allow me to purchase the total number I need all at once. Instead I've had to use mine and my wife's accounts to order them one at a time, about a week apart. Really?

It does work and requires no setup changes. Just swap it out for the original power supply and plug it into an ethernet port. Trouble is one of my TVs has too many ethernet devices. TV, AVR, Tivo, Amazon Fire and the uplink took all 5 ports on an old E3200 router I'd put there as a WiFi access point (to provide better coverage to that part of the house). Now I have to put a switch up there too. Which also means another power outlet position and I think the strip is full.
Can you run Speed4cast and do some speed tests?

PS: Anybody willing to buy one and crack it open to see how easy it would be to add a USB hub to it?
post #788 of 802 Old 08-09-2015, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, speed4cast immediately crashes on my 5.1.1 Nexus 7 tablet. So there's that.

It's pretty small, I doubt there's any room to add a hub inside of it, let alone sockets to accommodate devices being connected.

Out of curiousity, why would you want to add a hub?
post #789 of 802 Old 08-09-2015, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamkcor View Post
Can you run Speed4cast and do some speed tests?
Ran it from my Galaxy S6 and it reports:

Download: 33.6Mbps
Upload: 48.06 Mbps
Latency: 14ms
Jitter: 478ms
Test Server: Ashburn2

This being a Chromecast connected with the wired adapter, into a 1gig network (8 port switch at the TV, 24 port switch in the wiring closet and uplink to a FIOS router).

I'll try running the test to one that's still using WiFi.
post #790 of 802 Old 08-09-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Well, speed4cast immediately crashes on my 5.1.1 Nexus 7 tablet. So there's that.

It's pretty small, I doubt there's any room to add a hub inside of it, let alone sockets to accommodate devices being connected.

Out of curiousity, why would you want to add a hub?
You don't put the hub inside the adapter, you just add a USB connection so you can add your own.

PS: Because I can.

PPS: It seems it actually supports 100Mb/s. Is there a way to test for LAN speed? Last time I used Speed4cast it seemed to be measuring speed from a server.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...edtester&hl=en
It's been a while since I used it. If you can transfer from a PC, might be best to use RAM as storage. Not that that would indicate real world use, but it'd remove the bottleneck of the HDD.

PPPS: I just realised most people can't run Android apps on their chromecast. So, that was a bad idea.

Anybody with a Chromecast that can run normal Android apps, has the adapter, and wants to try to see what speed they get?

PPPPS: Also, test USB storage speed?

Last edited by xnamkcor; 08-09-2015 at 02:39 PM.
post #791 of 802 Old 08-09-2015, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Me, I just want the Chromecast to maintain a reliable connection, not lose it's mind when it can't see the WiFi network SSID. This it accomplishes with their Ethernet adapter. Bonus is it's cheap and requires no configuration effort on my part. Just plug it in and go.

Wasn't there a player of some sort that would overlay performance numbers on the screen?
post #792 of 802 Old 08-09-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Me, I just want the Chromecast to maintain a reliable connection, not lose it's mind when it can't see the WiFi network SSID. This it accomplishes with their Ethernet adapter. Bonus is it's cheap and requires no configuration effort on my part. Just plug it in and go.

Wasn't there a player of some sort that would overlay performance numbers on the screen?
Just checked both my VLCs, MX Player, and ES File Explorer video player. I didn't see anything.
post #793 of 802 Old 08-09-2015, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:

Like this from MPC-HC?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stats2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	878490  
post #794 of 802 Old 08-10-2015, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Like this from MPC-HC?...
Right, I thought I'd seen an Android player that would do the same sort of thing. But I don't know how applicable that would be to doing a speed test of playback on a Chromecast. I'd be more interested in pure figures of the Chromecast streaming from something itself, not while it was casting a screen from another device. Not much point in knowing how fast the loop is from Internet->wireless->tablet/phone->wireless->wired->Chromecast. I'd be more interested in knowing just Internet->wired->Chromecast.
post #795 of 802 Old 08-11-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I ordered the Ethernet adapter yesterday. They were out of stock for quite a while. I'll see how it goes when it arrives. The main problem even with an access point 6 feet away was it still dropped the app on the Android phone while streaming on with the TV.
post #796 of 802 Old 08-11-2015, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have more than one google account (wife, friend, family, etc) you can order them individually. I've got two now and two more on-order that way.
post #797 of 802 Old 08-11-2015, 02:03 PM

Does screencasting from an android device work without wifi?
post #798 of 802 Old 08-11-2015, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have success using Chromecast with an adapter for non HDMI displays? I have an older lcd that has dvi, rgb and vga. The max output is 1080i. Plugging in to the dvi port using a simple adapter gives me a picture, but I would need something for audio as well. I tried a component converter that didn't work at all.
post #799 of 802 Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I used a portta 100hc hdmi to 3rca composite converter. It is sd only but works for my chromecast.
Ck eBay or Amazon $15
post #800 of 802 Old Today, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Does screencasting from an android device work without wifi?
If you're talking about mirroring, no, you need to be connected to the same wifi network for that.

If you're talking about casting from a Chromecast enabled app, yes (with a qualification), if the CC has been setup for guest mode. The qualification is that while a device does not need to be connected to the wifi network for guest mode casting, the device does have to have wifi enabled (does not have to be connected to anything - just turned on) for the pairing to take place. So if you are talking about a device that does not have wifi capability at all, then it wouldn't work. Most devices do have wifi of course, but since you weren't specific, just wanted to make that clear.
post #801 of 802 Unread Today, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9512tacoma View Post
I used a portta 100hc hdmi to 3rca composite converter. It is sd only but works for my chromecast.
Ck eBay or Amazon $15
I am hoping to maintain an HD picture since the TV is HD (720p). I just tried an HDMI to DVI converter and that didn't work either. It is Siig brand and the documentation mentioned several times that it doesn't strip HDCP so if it won't work if the display isn't HDCP enabled. The thing is, the DVI port of my tv is HDCP enabled. The Chromecast puts out a perfect picture when plugged into a simple hdmi->dvi adapter. I just need something in between that extracts the audio so I can plug into the dvi port's rca red/white ports. Both component and dvi converters I've tried seem to inhibit the compatibility between the Chromecast and the TV. Interestingly, my Roku 3 worked with the hdmi->dvi converter on the same TV. I'm not sure where the problem lies; is it the Chromecast, the TV, or just the wrong converter? Frustrating.
post #802 of 802 Unread Today, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
I've already done the same for a total of 5-10 USD and I get USB ports.
I would like to have a solution that connects my Chromecast to my wired network for 5-10USD and provides additional USB ports. How did you do that?

Build thread & current gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page