post #61 of 635 Old 09-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgraves View Post

To hear the dialogue we must turn the volume up a lot. Then when the music/effects return it's intolerably loud.

that sounds awful (no pun intended) - can you test it on another TV? a neighbor's house?

It just seems to me that you're getting the 5.1 audio through your TV and your TV is doing a real lousy job of re-mixing it for its own speakers. just a wild guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 635 Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've also tested Chromecast briefly on a newer & smaller Samsung HDTV elsewhere in the house. In that case Chromecast is able to perform the power & input switching that if cannot do on the Aquos. I wasn't aware of the audio trouble at the time, so I didn't try that in detail. I'll put it on my to do list for the evening.
post #63 of 635 Old 09-03-2013, 11:56 AM

@Revnu- looks like your Marantz does support Dolby Digital Plus. I have the previous model 4001 which does not :-(. I too am unable to get any audio other than 2ch PCM. Seems like a lot of people have this issue. -E
post #64 of 635 Old 09-03-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoneyy View Post

@Revnu- looks like your Marantz does support Dolby Digital Plus. I have the previous model 4001 which does not :-(. I too am unable to get any audio other than 2ch PCM. Seems like a lot of people have this issue. -E

I'm hoping it's something that can be fixed in a CC firmware update or Application upgrade. I will keep searching and testing until I can get it figured out. Thanks for the reply.

~ REVNU
post #65 of 635 Old 09-03-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVNU View Post

I have my CC hooked up to the HDMI 3 slot of my Marantz SR4002 (tried HDMI 1 and 2) as well, but cannot get 5.1. I'm guessing it's because my receiver does not decode/support DD+?

It plays at 2CH PCM on everything I've tried and there is no option for 5.1 on any of the movies I've tried so far.

Anyone have a list of movies they've successfully streamed from their phone, tablet or PC that they've been able to get 5.1 on?

So far I'm really liking my CC, saves me from having to turn on my personal space heater (PS3). tongue.gif

Thanks!

btw, currently only Netflix offers some HD titles in 5.1DD+ (like Madmen). All others apps (UT, GP) offer 2ch PCM (stereo).
-select Netflix 5.1 surround sound.
-some Marantz settings here.
post #66 of 635 Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

btw, currently only Netflix offers some HD titles in 5.1DD+ (like Madmen). All others apps (UT, GP) offer 2ch PCM (stereo).
-select Netflix 5.1 surround sound.
-some Marantz settings here.

I am not getting the (Dolby Digital Plus) option on my PC or my Android phone for Mad Men...

Thanks for the setup link for the Marantz. I'm going to mess with that if I can actually get a 5.1 signal sent to my receiver.

~ REVNU
post #67 of 635 Old 09-03-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

^
You may wanna double check if the SR4002 decodes DD+ (I’m not sure if it does).
post #68 of 635 Old 09-03-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:

^

I think you're right. I don't think it does either. But, shouldn't I still get the option in the Netflix app for DD+?

EDIT: I just did some more testing. I was able to get the DD+ option while watching Mad Men, using the PS3 Netfilx app.

This is confirming my suspicion that Netflix is looking for a device that is able to decode DD+, which I don't think my PC can, nor my Galaxy Note 2. That would explain why I get the option on neither of these, only 2CH PCM, regardless of whether I'm trying to cast to CC or just play it normally through either one.

Going to do some more tinkering...

~ REVNU
post #69 of 635 Old 09-04-2013, 02:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think you're right. I don't think it does either. But, shouldn't I still get the option in the Netflix app for DD+?

EDIT: I just did some more testing. I was able to get the DD+ option while watching Mad Men, using the PS3 Netfilx app.

This is confirming my suspicion that Netflix is looking for a device that is able to decode DD+, which I don't think my PC can, nor my Galaxy Note 2. That would explain why I get the option on neither of these, only 2CH PCM, regardless of whether I'm trying to cast to CC or just play it normally through either one.

I don't think that's accurate, at least not as far as the Chromecast part of it goes. You see, the video signal is not going directly from your mobile device to the TV. Your mobile device is sending the chromecast a hyperlink to look up on the internet and then playing from the same spot where you were on your mobile device. So it has nothing to do with you mobile device's ability to decode DD+ but rather whether Netflix is sending and/or whether the Chromecast can decode it.

It COULD be that because your mobile device can't decode it and because THAT's the hyperlink that Chromecast is getting that Netflix isn't sending DD+

Early adopter love letters smile.gif
post #70 of 635 Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 AM

Last evening I had another go at trying different things to be able to select the audio stream used by Chromecast when viewing a Netflix movie. There has been an assertion on a Googletv forum that this was possible in when Chrome on a PC was used to invoke the playback.

I picked a major current release (Expendables 2) and attempted playback on my desktop PC. In that mode the player (MS Silverlight) offered only one audio setting. Not choices at all.

Later on I did the same thing again, this time using Chrome on my laptop then moving the playback to the Chromecast. In that case also there were no audio choices to be made.

I must be missing something. It will require more digging to find out how to ensure that we hear the stereo mix and not the surround mix. Otherwise we lose the dialogue.

Michael

http://www.mgraves.org
post #71 of 635 Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Liked: 19
Age doesn't matter. Not everything is 5.1 on Netflix. Try House of Cards or the original Star Trek TV series. Those are 5.1 on Netflix.
post #72 of 635 Old 09-04-2013, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgraves View Post

Last evening I had another go at trying different things to be able to select the audio stream used by Chromecast when viewing a Netflix movie. There has been an assertion on a Googletv forum that this was possible in when Chrome on a PC was used to invoke the playback.

I picked a major current release (Expendables 2) and attempted playback on my desktop PC. In that mode the player (MS Silverlight) offered only one audio setting. Not choices at all.

Later on I did the same thing again, this time using Chrome on my laptop then moving the playback to the Chromecast. In that case also there were no audio choices to be made.

I must be missing something. It will require more digging to find out how to ensure that we hear the stereo mix and not the surround mix. Otherwise we lose the dialogue.

Michael

http://www.mgraves.org

Sn, “The Expendable 2” HD is only in 2ch PCM (stereo), that explains it … (as mentioned above) not all Netflix “HD” titles offer 5.1+ stereo, look for [5.1] icon, or try testing “mad men” or “House of cards”.

also, (it seems) unless the CC is connected to an AVR capable of decoding DD+, “Dolby Digital Plus” option won’t be visible in Netflix audio menu (when streaming 5.1 contents).

post #73 of 635 Old 09-04-2013, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

^

(besides 2ch PCM > Dolby Pro-Logic / Neo:6 ..etc.) can’t think of any workaround DD+ other than an AVR capable of decoding DD+. but maybe someone else can ....

As far as “Dolby Digital Plus” option not visible in Netflix audio menu (w/ 5.1 contents)?
Yes, it seems that Netflix is looking for a device that is able to decode DD+

btw, reboot CC whenever you plug it into another device (apparently it retains EDIDs).
post #74 of 635 Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Got my Chromecast today. Shame on me for not doing all my research. I wasn't aware I couldn't cast Chrome tabs from my Android tablet.
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #75 of 635 Old 09-06-2013, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65

I have discovered a few interesting things about its networking behavior. 

First, it appears the controlling device (e.g. phone) and the Chromecast must be connected to the same WiFi segment or they won't see each other. I have one access point on each floor of my house - they have the same SSID but use different channels. If I have a Chromecast session going on my phone and bring the phone upstairs it will switch to the other access point and lose contact with the Chromecast. Why would the Chromecast not be able to communicate across the entire LAN?

Second, it seems not to be possible to cast from a PC that is connected via wired LAN, it has to be WiFi. 

And finally, it will not connect to an access point on any channel above 11. My downstairs AP was on channel 14 (I am in Europe) and I had to change to a different channel. Wonder if Google will fix this for the European version?

None of these are deal breakers, just quirks. 

post #76 of 635 Old 09-06-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
In stock at this moment at Best Buy for anyone looking.
post #77 of 635 Old 09-09-2013, 08:06 AM

I think i have the same issue,, did you get this resolved?
post #78 of 635 Old 09-09-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

oh I hate to be the jerk that posts this but does anyone know a way to run end around my work laptop's symantec endpoint protection firewall that appears to be blocking my ability to chromecast to my TV from my laptop?

did you get this resolved, i have the same issue.
post #79 of 635 Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapchaser View Post

did you get this resolved, i have the same issue.

nope, it's not a chromecast issue per se though - it's my company not willing to let my work laptop go all willy nilly unprotected on my local network

which I don't blame them.
post #80 of 635 Old 09-12-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Sn, “The Expendable 2” HD is only in 2ch PCM (stereo), that explains it … (as mentioned above) not all Netflix “HD” titles offer 5.1+ stereo, look for [5.1] icon, or try testing “mad men” or “House of cards”.

also, (it seems) unless the CC is connected to an AVR capable of decoding DD+, “Dolby Digital Plus” option won’t be visible in Netflix audio menu (when streaming 5.1 contents).

Well your note about the AVR must be true. No combination of Chromecast, HDTV or monitor and client or content has yet to offer me the choice of audio. It's always just "Stereo Audio." As such, the problem with the dialogue must be source related.

I have found on the Netflix support site that they do not send a surround stream to a TivoHD. Only to the newer Premiere models. That could explain why we've not had the dialogue problem with the TivoHDs.

Michael
post #81 of 635 Old 09-13-2013, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

I have discovered a few interesting things about its networking behavior. 

First, it appears the controlling device (e.g. phone) and the Chromecast must be connected to the same WiFi segment or they won't see each other. I have one access point on each floor of my house - they have the same SSID but use different channels. If I have a Chromecast session going on my phone and bring the phone upstairs it will switch to the other access point and lose contact with the Chromecast. Why would the Chromecast not be able to communicate across the entire LAN?

Second, it seems not to be possible to cast from a PC that is connected via wired LAN, it has to be WiFi. 

And finally, it will not connect to an access point on any channel above 11. My downstairs AP was on channel 14 (I am in Europe) and I had to change to a different channel. Wonder if Google will fix this for the European version?

None of these are deal breakers, just quirks. 

That is a very good post very informative not a deal breaker but does raise a few questions do you have any problems at all roaming and dropping devices with your AP? Also the concern about wired and wifi is a good one would be interesting if folks spoke up about IPV6 issues if anyone had tried it with that. As it is I believe that would be a good bug report as that is most certainly a corner case and is worthy of such a report. You would think that on the same subnet having a proper IP address and everything working all you would see is latency problems if you switched AP's as it would take longer to route around the roaming change.

Also just wonder how folks might use this say in a work environment like plug it in to a break room TV, and have folks watch whatever they want, or at least the owner of the device. I wonder what the developers do on Saturdays if called into the office, and all the stuff that is in development. I know they clamped down on third party apps but just a matter of time before someone else takes up the idea and runs with it.

Rthoreau
post #82 of 635 Old 09-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 112
It's incorrect that you cannot cast from a PC with a wired connection. I am doing it right now casting this in my Chrome browser. Wifi adapter completely disabled on my computer, Ethernet connected from PC to router. Someone else mentioned your lan connection has to be part of the same network as your wireless connection. You may have created different networks on your PC without realizing it as you are prompted to assign networks the first time you create each one. My lan network has the same name as the ssid I connect to wirelessly. This is how I set it up long before I got the chromecast so I don't know what happens otherwise, but it worked for me the first time I tried it with no modifications. So just wanted to clear up this misinformation.
post #83 of 635 Old 09-13-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

This is not actually true. I have "casted" from our desktop PCs which are only on our wired network. However, in order for this to work your network must be a single, flat network.

Our Wifi AP is a Ubiquiti PowerAP. It's default mode of operation is as a wifi router. In that mode the wifi was on a different subnet from the wired LAN.

This caused various things not to work quite as expected. The Squuezebox controller app for Android could not reach our Squeeze center server. The Tivo remote app for Android could not reach the TivoHDs. In both cases there was an issue with something on the wireless LAN trying to find something on the wired LAN when they were on different subnets.

Taking the AP out of router mode turns it into a "bridge." That's more like an old skool wireless AP. Now all of the wireless devices receive IP addresses from our wired router, on the same subnet as everything else.

Michael
post #84 of 635 Old 09-16-2013, 02:10 PM

Can anyone point me to a list of android apps that support Chromecast? At this point the device seems very limited...the whole point is to control the thing with a phone or tablet..using a laptop is not a good experience IMO.
post #85 of 635 Old 09-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydas View Post

Can anyone point me to a list of android apps that support Chromecast? At this point the device seems very limited...the whole point is to control the thing with a phone or tablet..using a laptop is not a good experience IMO.

Well, I was hesitant to even respond to your post since my first impression is that you are trolling. You already know the answer to your question and if you don't there is no excuse for you not to since it's posted everywhere including on this very thread. On the off chance that you are not trolling and are just incredibly lazy, you are the one choosing to limit yourself if you do not want to take advantage of all the uses for this on a computer. Even though I already have a smart TV, the uses I've found for this have been worth the cost. For someone without a smart TV or other smart device, the android app casting alone may be worth the price even without using a computer. But if you are going to go out of your way to limit yourself, like you want to, why even consider buying any device?
post #86 of 635 Old 09-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydas View Post

netflix and youtube
post #87 of 635 Old 09-17-2013, 09:44 AM

Google Play Music also supports casting.
post #88 of 635 Old 09-17-2013, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can more than 1 device be setup with a single chromecast? Can more than 1 device be connected at the same time?

Eric
post #89 of 635 Old 09-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx250r87 View Post

Can more than 1 device be setup with a single chromecast? Can more than 1 device be connected at the same time?

Eric

Well you can only play or cast one thing at a time on your TV. I mean, if you are casting a netflix show from your PC, you can't simultaneously play a Google Play TV movie from your phone because obviously only one thing can show up on your television. If you are casting one thing and try to cast another during that, the latest cast will override the previous one, disconnecting the first.

If your first question was different than your second - I'm not sure if it was or you were just reiterating what you meant - any number of devices can cast to the chromecast, but like I said in answer to your second question, only one at a time for obvious reasons.
post #90 of 635 Old 09-17-2013, 03:00 PM

I'm wondering why Chromecast couldn't stream data through wi-fi that resides on a NAS.
Can someone explain this?

I'm setting up my brother's home cinema and this could have saved me from buying an MVIX (now defunct I believe) or a POPCORN HOUR A-400 (expensive and lots of complaints) for streaming content from his NAS.

Cheers,
Melkiades
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page