*Official* Google Chromecast owners thread - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

Old 11-15-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamkcor View Post
Is Wireless G enabled on the 2.4GHz radio? Should say something like "Mixed", not "N Only", "AC Only", or N and AC Only".
It is on mixed.. but for whatever reason it worked with me trying with my iphone instead of my tablet I don't know why.. but I would prefer to use my tablet to control it instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2015, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post
It is on mixed.. but for whatever reason it worked with me trying with my iphone instead of my tablet I don't know why.. but I would prefer to use my tablet to control it instead.
Once the Chromecast can connect to the network by itself, you should be able to access it with other devices easier. Setup tends to be the difficult part. Also, check that your tablet isn't having connection issues itself.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 146
My local internet is slow. 720p youtube is not watchable. 360p is smooth.
Can chromecast play the lower resolution instead of HD?
Old 12-20-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
My local internet is slow. 720p youtube is not watchable. 360p is smooth.
Can chromecast play the lower resolution instead of HD?
You have a choice of settings. 720p 480p something called "auto"- which says up to 1080p maximum. (It doesn't say minimum - but isn't 480p as low as you can go?)
Old 12-20-2015, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
You have a choice of settings. 720p 480p something called "auto"- which says up to 1080p maximum. (It doesn't say minimum - but isn't 480p as low as you can go?)
Where's this setting? I need 360p
Old 12-20-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Get the beta variant of the Chromecast extension

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...aejidimm?hl=en

But only expect it to work for screencasting if you have both variants. I have both installed and it only ever seems to let me use the non-beta variant for pushing streams. Maybe if beta is the only one installed it's different?
Old 12-20-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I assume you are casting from PC - not a phone.
If so, load the Chromecast extention. When you click on it you will get a drop down menu and one of items to click on is "options". You can pick the streaming mode (speed) you want from there.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
If so, load the Chromecast extention. When you click on it you will get a drop down menu and one of items to click on is "options". You can pick the streaming mode (speed) you want from there.
What version do you have that 360p is an option?
Old 12-20-2015, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What version do you have that 360p is an option?
I didn't say I had 360 as an option. I mentioned 1. 720p 2. 480p 3. "auto select" 4. and some called very high (or words to that effect)
Old 12-20-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I didn't say I had 360 as an option. I mentioned 1. 720p 2. 480p 3. "auto select" 4. and some called very high (or words to that effect)

Good thing he didn't specify 360p as something he wanted, otherwise that would be a very awkward answer to his question.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm casting from a tablet / android phone... using the youtube app to push video direct to chromecast. There's no setting for this.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm casting from a tablet / android phone... using the youtube app to push video direct to chromecast. There's no setting for this.
You are right. There are no settings on our Android devices, Which Android phone do you have? A few of them are able to take advantage of a Google beta where you can cast ANYthing that appears on your phone screen.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Do you know if the Chromecast uses the detected display of the "TV" or the android device for the basis of resolution? Could you use your router to throttle the speed just low enough for the Cromecast to use "480p"?

I'll see if I can get anything working. I only have a 1080i TV though.

Last edited by xnamkcor; 12-20-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do you know if the Chromecast uses the detected display of the "TV" or the android device for the basis of resolution? Could you use your router to throttle the speed just low enough for the Cromecast to use "480p"?

I'll see if I can get anything working. I only have a 1080i TV though.
I doubt the chromecast detects the tv/phone resolution. It will just push the highest resolution based on the internet speed. Besides that, my internet service is based on data usage. I wouldn't want HD video.
Throttling the router speed just for the sake of youtube-chromecasting will be the last choice.
Anyway, I've read discussion about this on everywhere online and there's no solution to this. That's just how youtube-chromecast is made. It's not designed for the poorer parts of the world.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I doubt the chromecast detects the tv/phone resolution. It will just push the highest resolution based on the internet speed. Besides that, my internet service is based on data usage. I wouldn't want HD video.
Throttling the router speed just for the sake of youtube-chromecasting will be the last choice.
Anyway, I've read discussion about this on everywhere online and there's no solution to this. That's just how youtube-chromecast is made. It's not designed for the poorer parts of the world.
If you don't want it throttling your entire connection, put the rule on the interface the Chromecast uses.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Wife got me a Chromecast for my birthday and I'm loving it. Spotify through my home theater now is awesome! Been using Videostream for chrome to stream video content from pc and was wondering what other options I have. I've used bubbleupnp in the past but now its limited unless you purchase the full version? Any suggestions welcome!
Old 01-01-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post
Wife got me a Chromecast for my birthday and I'm loving it. Spotify through my home theater now is awesome! Been using Videostream for chrome to stream video content from pc and was wondering what other options I have. I've used bubbleupnp in the past but now its limited unless you purchase the full version? Any suggestions welcome!
I use a DS410 NAS that can re-encode video on the fly and send it to the Chromecast, but I doubt that's viable for everyone. Maybe there is a similar app for your PC. Plex?
Old 01-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Plex. On your PC it's free and if you want to cast from a mobile device there's a one time fee for the app, which goes on sale very cheap several times a year.

Edit: It looks like they may have now included casting in the free version of the mobile Plex app as well. I have the paid version so I can't test that out but you can download the free app and try if you're interested. Either way, it is free from your computer, which is what you asked about.

Last edited by jprc; 01-01-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Try Allcast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2016, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9512tacoma View Post
Try Allcast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not a computer app, it's mobile only.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
Plex. On your PC it's free and if you want to cast from a mobile device there's a one time fee for the app, which goes on sale very cheap several times a year.

Edit: It looks like they may have now included casting in the free version of the mobile Plex app as well. I have the paid version so I can't test that out but you can download the free app and try if you're interested. Either way, it is free from your computer, which is what you asked about.
Thanks for the recommendation. Plex works so good I'm blown away its free.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. Plex works so good I'm blown away its free.

Glad that worked out for you. They are always doing new development on it too. I was so happy back when they added Chromecast support.

Since you just got your CC, make sure you check for any offers you are eligible for from Google. You can do that either on your computer or through the chromecast app on your phone. You might get a free movie rental or free trial memberships or some Google Play credit. It differs depending what country you are in and if there were any special promotions going on when it was bought.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Got a $20 Google Play credit! Woo-hoo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver