post #91 of 657 Old 09-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkiades View Post

I'm wondering why Chromecast couldn't stream data through wi-fi that resides on a NAS.
Can someone explain this?

I'm setting up my brother's home cinema and this could have saved me from buying an MVIX (now defunct I believe) or a POPCORN HOUR A-400 (expensive and lots of complaints) for streaming content from his NAS.

Cheers,
Melkiades

If you have web access to the drive you can play files by putting the file path in the chrome browser. There are a few filetypes that don't play in chrome buy many do. Also, I don't have any estimated date on this, but Plex is supposed to be developing an app for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 657 Old 09-17-2013, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you jprc.

I think that most NAS' have a web server app you can enable to share content. It seems a bit odd to have to go through the interneet when you're streaming locally though.
Also, would you have to set the url in ChromeCast each time and when you want to switch to watching Netflix change it again?

It's just $35, I should stop asking question and buy the stick hehe. I hope it's available in Canada.

Cheers,
Melkiades
post #93 of 657 Old 09-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you jprc.

I think that most NAS' have a web server app you can enable to share content. It seems a bit odd to have to go through the interneet when you're streaming locally though.
Also, would you have to set the url in ChromeCast each time and when you want to switch to watching Netflix change it again?

It's just $35, I should stop asking question and buy the stick hehe. I hope it's available in Canada.

Cheers,
Melkiades

You would have to put in the file path for each file each time you want to play it. You put in the file path in the Chrome browser, not directly on the Chromecast device. Since you haven't bought yet, if this area was a dealbreaker for you, you should test first in your chrome browser whether it plays the type of files you would usually be viewing. Although both Plex and Avia (I've only ever used a Plex server) are developing officially sanctioned Google apps for it, working directly with Google, so I personally wouldn't let it stop me from buying one in your situation but you have to make that decision for yourself of course.

Netflix has it's own Chromecast integration in it's videoplayer online or in it's app on a phone/tablet. So you don't have to put that address in your chrome browser to cast it from a chrome tab, you just click on the cast icon in the app or the player. So you could leave a tab open with the filepath to a file on your server and just change the end filename as needed and then have another tab with Netflix and go back and forth as you please. If you are casting from one and choose to cast from a different source, it disconnects you from the first one and connects the latest cast request. But you can still leave the tab open of course and just go back and cast again when you are done with the second one. With Netflix/Youtube after you hit cast, it is no longer going through your computer or phone but straight from Netflix and Youtube. WIth files cast from your Chrome tab, it will be using your computer resources.

Also, see this thread on xda dev for information on getting it set up in Canada while it is only available in the US. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2378257
post #94 of 657 Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

Well, I was hesitant to even respond to your post since my first impression is that you are trolling. You already know the answer to your question and if you don't there is no excuse for you not to since it's posted everywhere including on this very thread. On the off chance that you are not trolling and are just incredibly lazy, you are the one choosing to limit yourself if you do not want to take advantage of all the uses for this on a computer. Even though I already have a smart TV, the uses I've found for this have been worth the cost. For someone without a smart TV or other smart device, the android app casting alone may be worth the price even without using a computer. But if you are going to go out of your way to limit yourself, like you want to, why even consider buying any device?

Hi, thanks for the response..I'm not lazy or stupid, I was just stunned that my research only turned up a very limited number of apps for android, so I thought, I must be wrong. So you are telling that you think using your laptop to 'cast' to a TV is a good experience? Sorry, have to disagree..this thing is so not ready for prime time yet..its been out for almost two months now, where is android support? no android tab casting yet? baffling to me...

Let me also say i am a huge google fan, have nexus 7, nexus 4, i use almost google services exclusively..
post #95 of 657 Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydas View Post

Hi, thanks for the response..I'm not lazy or stupid, I was just stunned that my research only turned up a very limited number of apps for android, so I thought, I must be wrong. So you are telling that you think using your laptop to 'cast' to a TV is a good experience? Sorry, have to disagree..this thing is so not ready for prime time yet..its been out for almost two months now, where is android support? no android tab casting yet? baffling to me...

Let me also say i am a huge google fan, have nexus 7, nexus 4, i use almost google services exclusively..

Casting works great for me. I use it daily. I play both local files and online movies and TV shows casted through Chrome tabs. And my favorite thing to use it for is casting my entire desktop. I no longer need a long HDMI cable for everyone to trip over to use my TV as a monitor. In fact I packed my HDMI cable away and only use the Chromecast. The device does exactly what it said it would do when you bought it and it actually does more than they revealed in their advertising. If you didn't want to be an early adopter, you shouldn't have bought it yet.

Of course it's not perfect and of course many things can be added and I personally know of many things in the works and am looking forward to greater app support. But to expect big changes after only such a short time means you're not cut out to be an early adopter. You knew what it was and wasn't capable of when you bought it. They didn't lie and did hide things. It was all pretty clear cut and spelled out including exactly what apps were supported. It's not the greatest invention since the wheel but it does what it was supposed to be able to do and it does a bit more than that as well. It will certainly do more in future. You got what you bought. If it's not what you wanted, honestly, you have yourself to blame.
post #96 of 657 Old 09-18-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:

Casting works great for me. I use it daily. I play both local files and online movies and TV shows casted through Chrome tabs. And my favorite thing to use it for is casting my entire desktop. I no longer need a long HDMI cable for everyone to trip over to use my TV as a monitor. In fact I packed my HDMI cable away and only use the Chromecast. The device does exactly what it said it would do when you bought it and it actually does more than they revealed in their advertising. If you didn't want to be an early adopter, you shouldn't have bought it yet.

Of course it's not perfect and of course many things can be added and I personally know of many things in the works and am looking forward to greater app support. But to expect big changes after only such a short time means you're not cut out to be an early adopter. You knew what it was and wasn't capable of when you bought it. They didn't lie and did hide things. It was all pretty clear cut and spelled out including exactly what apps were supported. It's not the greatest invention since the wheel but it does what it was supposed to be able to do and it does a bit more than that as well. It will certainly do more in future. You got what you bought. If it's not what you wanted, honestly, you have yourself to blame.

Sorry, your dead wrong...look at the play store description:

"The easiest way to enjoy online video and music on your TV.
Plug Chromecast into any HDTV and control it with your existing smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Send your favorites from Google Play, YouTube, Netflix, and Chrome to your TV with the press of a button."

Your telling me that by reading that I should not have expected android Chrome support? From what I have read, Google is tightly controlling this product unlike other open source projects they work on...I'm guessing that is why its taking so long for apps to support this...
post #97 of 657 Old 09-18-2013, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 44
other than the fact that I'm pretty sure it only supports the webm video codec I think it could.
post #98 of 657 Old 09-18-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgraves View Post

This is not actually true. I have "casted" from our desktop PCs which are only on our wired network. However, in order for this to work your network must be a single, flat network.

Our Wifi AP is a Ubiquiti PowerAP. It's default mode of operation is as a wifi router. In that mode the wifi was on a different subnet from the wired LAN.

This caused various things not to work quite as expected. The Squuezebox controller app for Android could not reach our Squeeze center server. The Tivo remote app for Android could not reach the TivoHDs. In both cases there was an issue with something on the wireless LAN trying to find something on the wired LAN when they were on different subnets.

Taking the AP out of router mode turns it into a "bridge." That's more like an old skool wireless AP. Now all of the wireless devices receive IP addresses from our wired router, on the same subnet as everything else.

Michael

You are of course right. For no apparent reason it started working shortly after I posted. The problem with casting device and CC being connected to different APs also went away.

The glitch may have been caused by the fact the phone I was casting "from" was connected to an access point using channel 14 (I am in EU) and that may have confused the CC which can use 1-11 only. I now have both access points on channel numbers below 11.
post #99 of 657 Old 09-18-2013, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

So I know that Chromecast does not work in a hotel room that needs you (via web browser) to click through to get internet access. I travel with an Airport Express and it works great with the CC when my room has hard wired Ethernet.

Trouble is that more and more rooms are lacking hard wired ports. So my question is this:

Has anyone gotten the CC to work with just wireless and a travel router. I am thinking that there must be some combination of wireless router+wireless only internet that would get this to work.

I have tried Connectify but honestly the performance is horrible.

Any ideas/suggestions would be great. I am hoping that Google address this in some future update, but in the meantime.....

Thanks
Ron
post #100 of 657 Old 09-19-2013, 02:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry, your dead wrong...look at the play store description:

"The easiest way to enjoy online video and music on your TV.
Plug Chromecast into any HDTV and control it with your existing smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Send your favorites from Google Play, YouTube, Netflix, and Chrome to your TV with the press of a button."

Your telling me that by reading that I should not have expected android Chrome support? From what I have read, Google is tightly controlling this product unlike other open source projects they work on...I'm guessing that is why its taking so long for apps to support this...

I looked at the Play Store description and it clearly states that it is compatible with "Chrome for Mac® and Chrome for Windows®" not Chrome for Android or mobile, so that is what you should have expected. Also, Chrome for mobile does not support extensions in the first place, but even if you had never used Chrome on mobile and didn't know that, all you had to do was read the Play Store page to know it would only work on PC and Mac.

The SDK is still in beta is why there are no new apps. There are many companies working with Google and working with the beta SDK to develop apps. They have to make sure it is stable first before bringing it out of beta. This is how software development works. You should probably stop reading those sources if they are feeding you that kind of misinformation.
post #101 of 657 Old 09-19-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:

I looked at the Play Store description and it clearly states that it is compatible with "Chrome for Mac® and Chrome for Windows®" not Chrome for Android or mobile, so that is what you should have expected. Also, Chrome for mobile does not support extensions in the first place, but even if you had never used Chrome on mobile and didn't know that, all you had to do was read the Play Store page to know it would only work on PC and Mac.

The SDK is still in beta is why there are no new apps. There are many companies working with Google and working with the beta SDK to develop apps. They have to make sure it is stable first before bringing it out of beta. This is how software development works. You should probably stop reading those sources if they are feeding you that kind of misinformation.

You really are an arrogant ass....so I guess its ok for a company to say one thing in its tag line for a product and then clarify in the fine print, that is fine...there have been countless product that languished in beta for years before being released so I am not sure what your point is there...and the fact of the matter is that since this is a media streamer Google has to be careful not to upset content providers by allowing easy access to pirated content and the like...
post #102 of 657 Old 09-19-2013, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You really are an arrogant ass....so I guess its ok for a company to say one thing in its tag line for a product and then clarify in the fine print, that is fine...there have been countless product that languished in beta for years before being released so I am not sure what your point is there...and the fact of the matter is that since this is a media streamer Google has to be careful not to upset content providers by allowing easy access to pirated content and the like...

No, I'm an informed consumer who doesn't purchase products without knowing what they do and then complain about them when they are doing what they are supposed to and more. And no, It's not just in the fine print, although they reiterated it there too, it's right in the middle of the page in big print as well. You don't have to admit to me that you screwed up and are wrong but it doesn't change the facts.

I'm also a software engineer who understands how this process works and that you don't know what you are talking about. That is clearly way over your head though since you can't even read short non-technical paragraphs with comprehension. You also for some reason can't manage (or more likely refuse to manage) to make this product work properly on your computer. Like I said earlier, you were not cut out to be an early adopter.

No one forced you to buy this if it isn't what you wanted and no one stopped you from returning it either when you realized you were wrong about what it did. You bought it, kept it, don't want to use it for what it was intended for, and then want to complain about it. I have no sympathy for you.
post #103 of 657 Old 09-19-2013, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Keep it civil guys. We're all fellow enthusiasts here.
post #104 of 657 Old 09-20-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:

I'm wondering why Chromecast couldn't stream data through wi-fi that resides on a NAS.
Can someone explain this?

I'm setting up my brother's home cinema and this could have saved me from buying an MVIX (now defunct I believe) or a POPCORN HOUR A-400 (expensive and lots of complaints) for streaming content from his NAS.

Cheers,
Melkiades
If you're going to do that, why not just use a Roku? 5watts and you can stream with PLEX from an ancient laptop. I read here http://thecreativealternative.com/alternatives-to-cable/ how to do like 5 minute converts to MP4 from MKV (no video transcoding needed) and it's working on my Mom's 11 year old celeron laptop. 6,000mbps as well as digital 5.1 Love it. And now my Chromecast is sitting gathering dust since I can't sell it on ebay for anything near what I paid.
post #105 of 657 Old 09-20-2013, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mychaelp View Post

If you're going to do that, why not just use a Roku? 5watts and you can stream with PLEX from an ancient laptop. I read here http://thecreativealternative.com/alternatives-to-cable/ how to do like 5 minute converts to MP4 from MKV (no video transcoding needed) and it's working on my Mom's 11 year old celeron laptop. 6,000mbps as well as digital 5.1 Love it. And now my Chromecast is sitting gathering dust since I can't sell it on ebay for anything near what I paid.

early adopter's syndrome - right there with ya.
post #106 of 657 Old 09-21-2013, 09:51 AM

Hi, I am new to the Chromecast having just received it the other day. I bought it mainly for the ability to cast video from the Chrome browser. I realize it's not optimized for this purpose at the moment, but I've read a lot of user reviews in which people have had much more success than I have had so far.

First, I have tried streaming from ESPN3 and a couple of streaming tv stations (German language ARD and ZDF). I had no trouble with any of these sites when I had my laptop connected directly via HDMI. My router is 10 feet away from my laptop, and I have Performance Internet from Comcast (up to 30 mbps). My laptop is a Lenovo G85, i3, 4gb memory, Windows8. Certainly not a high performance pc, but it meets the minumum requirements for streaming in SD at least. I can cast the website itself with no trouble, but as soon as I try to play a video and cast that, I get nothing in the player on my tv--video or audio. Not even a choppy playback as others have noted. Also, if I click fullscreen on my laptop, nothing changes on the tv. I have noticed on the German sites (or at least one of them, can't remember) video will play within the original window, but not when I try to go fullscreen. I don't know if it's a flash or silverlight or some other setting that is blocking the Chromecast. I have set the device to the lowest (480p) setting and it doesn't have any effect. It works fine for Netflix and YouTube. Since so many people have reported success with the Chrome browser casting from sites like ESPN3, I am hoping it is just a matter of troubleshooting and not just SOL because of my laptop. I have a hard time believing everybody who has successfully casted video from their Chrome browser is using super-fast gaming pcs. Thanks for any tips/comments.

Mike
post #107 of 657 Old 09-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu1mikeg View Post

Hi, I am new to the Chromecast having just received it the other day. I bought it mainly for the ability to cast video from the Chrome browser. I realize it's not optimized for this purpose at the moment, but I've read a lot of user reviews in which people have had much more success than I have had so far.

First, I have tried streaming from ESPN3 and a couple of streaming tv stations (German language ARD and ZDF). I had no trouble with any of these sites when I had my laptop connected directly via HDMI. My router is 10 feet away from my laptop, and I have Performance Internet from Comcast (up to 30 mbps). My laptop is a Lenovo G85, i3, 4gb memory, Windows8. Certainly not a high performance pc, but it meets the minumum requirements for streaming in SD at least. I can cast the website itself with no trouble, but as soon as I try to play a video and cast that, I get nothing in the player on my tv--video or audio. Not even a choppy playback as others have noted. Also, if I click fullscreen on my laptop, nothing changes on the tv. I have noticed on the German sites (or at least one of them, can't remember) video will play within the original window, but not when I try to go fullscreen. I don't know if it's a flash or silverlight or some other setting that is blocking the Chromecast. I have set the device to the lowest (480p) setting and it doesn't have any effect. It works fine for Netflix and YouTube. Since so many people have reported success with the Chrome browser casting from sites like ESPN3, I am hoping it is just a matter of troubleshooting and not just SOL because of my laptop. I have a hard time believing everybody who has successfully casted video from their Chrome browser is using super-fast gaming pcs. Thanks for any tips/comments.

Mike

I don't have an ESPN3 ISP or cable provider so I tried watching videos from there to test it out for you but it says I'm not authorized even when I tired my old ATT login. Is there anything on that site that I can play without being authorized? If so, give me a link and I will try to see if I can get it to work. I did notice the player comes up in a pop up. You may already be doing this, but just in case you're not, you need to take that popup url address and put it directly into the tab you are casting to get that to cast from a tab since there will be no cast icon on a pop up window. Are either of the German sites free? I don't speak German so you'd have to tell me exactly what to click on. Although I may not be able to read any error messages, but I'd give a try.

The problem you describe is usually not network or computer related but it usually because the site is using either Silverlight or Quicktime. I didn't see mention, just taking a quick look though, of either of those on espn3 site so hopefully you can get it to work and there is just some other issue. Do you have other extensions installed that might be interfering? You could try temporarily disabling all other extensions.

Also, another thing you can try is casting your whole screen. You do this by clicking on the drop down arrow to the right of "Cast this tab to..." when you click on the cast icon in your browser and then choosing that option. You can view anything that you can view on your computer that way regardless of whether chromecast supports it. You can play espn3 in another browser if you wanted even.

Edit: Just FYI - an i3 processor is only supported for SD streaming, not HD, so keep it on SD settings.
post #108 of 657 Old 09-21-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:

I don't have an ESPN3 ISP or cable provider so I tried watching videos from there to test it out for you but it says I'm not authorized even when I tired my old ATT login. Is there anything on that site that I can play without being authorized? If so, give me a link and I will try to see if I can get it to work. I did notice the player comes up in a pop up. You may already be doing this, but just in case you're not, you need to take that popup url address and put it directly into the tab you are casting to get that to cast from a tab since there will be no cast icon on a pop up window. Are either of the German sites free? I don't speak German so you'd have to tell me exactly what to click on. Although I may not be able to read any error messages, but I'd give a try.

The problem you describe is usually not network or computer related but it usually because the site is using either Silverlight or Quicktime. I didn't see mention, just taking a quick look though, of either of those on espn3 site so hopefully you can get it to work and there is just some other issue. Do you have other extensions installed that might be interfering? You could try temporarily disabling all other extensions.

Also, another thing you can try is casting your whole screen. You do this by clicking on the drop down arrow to the right of "Cast this tab to..." when you click on the cast icon in your browser and then choosing that option. You can view anything that you can view on your computer that way regardless of whether chromecast supports it. You can play espn3 in another browser if you wanted even.

Edit: Just FYI - an i3 processor is only supported for SD streaming, not HD, so keep it on SD settings.

An easy example you can try is the "What is WatchESPN?" http://espn.go.com/watchespn/about Youtube clip is embedded on the site. When I have browser open on my laptop and try to cast it, I don't even have to play the video and it shows up as just a black box on my tv.

You can go to ard.de or zdf.de and try any video. It's pretty much like clicking ABC or NBC or any other station's website. I don't speak German, but my wife is German and it's just an example of why the ability to cast from a full browser is important to me. On ard.de I get video that is playing within the context of the screen with decent quality and not too much lag, but no audio and no ability to make it fullscreen. If I try to make it full screen (hover over bottom right, click on the familiar box icon and then choose "vollbild") the video on the tv goes to black and the screen stays the same size.

I tried casting the whole screen and it was the same. I have the chromecast set to lowest quality. I disabled all other Chrome exensions. No change.

I'd love to know if this is just a settings issue that can be remedied or if the product is just not up to the task given my setup. I've got a few days to mess with it, then it'll probably go back if I can't get it working better.

Thanks,

Mike
post #109 of 657 Old 09-21-2013, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
Quote:

......I tried casting the whole screen and it was the same. I have the chromecast set to lowest quality. I disabled all other Chrome exensions. No change.

I'd love to know if this is just a settings issue that can be remedied or if the product is just not up to the task given my setup. I've got a few days to mess with it, then it'll probably go back if I can't get it working better.

Thanks,

Mike

First, try & test it w/ hulu (regular).

Silverlight (NPAPI) plugins cannot be projected. But if one of those sites played video (& not fullscreen):
- check if you have double “Flash Player” versions in Chrome. if so, switch to the embedded plug-in - here.

post #110 of 657 Old 09-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

An easy example you can try is the "What is WatchESPN?" http://espn.go.com/watchespn/about Youtube clip is embedded on the site. When I have browser open on my laptop and try to cast it, I don't even have to play the video and it shows up as just a black box on my tv.

You can go to ard.de or zdf.de and try any video. It's pretty much like clicking ABC or NBC or any other station's website. I don't speak German, but my wife is German and it's just an example of why the ability to cast from a full browser is important to me. On ard.de I get video that is playing within the context of the screen with decent quality and not too much lag, but no audio and no ability to make it fullscreen. If I try to make it full screen (hover over bottom right, click on the familiar box icon and then choose "vollbild") the video on the tv goes to black and the screen stays the same size.

I tried casting the whole screen and it was the same. I have the chromecast set to lowest quality. I disabled all other Chrome exensions. No change.

Thanks,

Mike

Ok, so I can play video from all three sites, with sound, including full screen, casted from a Chrome tab. So, it is not a general Chromecast incompatibility with those sites.

It definitely sounds like a plugin issue from your description. Do what avf5 said and try hulu. Make sure you have the latest Chrome version because that is how the flash player plugin gets updated. And you can check your chrome flash player status and version by typing this in the address bar - chrome:plugins
post #111 of 657 Old 09-22-2013, 09:32 AM

Thank you both! It was just a plug-in setting that I had to disable. Now it works very well. I even experimented with the higher settings and it works fine on all setting! This is game-changer for me. Thanks again!
post #112 of 657 Old 09-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

I forgot to mention this the other day when talking about playing local files - you can use the Plex Web interface in chrome to play files that cannot usually be cast in chrome tabs. For example, I just played a .mov Quicktime file and cast it to my TV. So, until the official Plex app comes out, this is an easy way to play your files with the regular plex interface and organization without having to individually put each file in the address bar and you can cast any file that Plex Web can play in Chrome.
post #113 of 657 Old 09-23-2013, 02:35 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Among other things, I'm pretty weak on wifi, but a week ago I hooked up a Chromecast effortlessly using the app that Apple released on Aug 29 for my wife's ipad4. YouTube works perfectly from the ipad. Then I loaded Chrome and the cast extension on a tired, four-year old laptop, and it works fine for static webpages. Some videos on those pages run perfectly but others have quite a bit of hesitation/skipping, even though I went into the cast options and lowered resolution, etc.

So now I'm wondering whether Chrome for ipad can cast a webpage? Maybe videos on those pages would run OK on the newer, faster ipad4. I've tried to find out by doing a lot of reading, but just can't find the answer. I'd appreciate it if someone can let me know... I don't want to download it on her ipad if it isn't going to work. Thanks.
post #114 of 657 Old 09-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post

Among other things, I'm pretty weak on wifi, but a week ago I hooked up a Chromecast effortlessly using the app that Apple released on Aug 29 for my wife's ipad4. YouTube works perfectly from the ipad. Then I loaded Chrome and the cast extension on a tired, four-year old laptop, and it works fine for static webpages. Some videos on those pages run perfectly but others have quite a bit of hesitation/skipping, even though I went into the cast options and lowered resolution, etc.

So now I'm wondering whether Chrome for ipad can cast a webpage? Maybe videos on those pages would run OK on the newer, faster ipad4. I've tried to find out by doing a lot of reading, but just can't find the answer. I'd appreciate it if someone can let me know... I don't want to download it on her ipad if it isn't going to work. Thanks.

No, it has to be a Mac running an OS X supported verision to cast from Chrome. An iOS product such as an ipad will not cast from Chrome, only Netflix and Youtube.
post #115 of 657 Old 09-24-2013, 05:40 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, it has to be a Mac running an OS X supported verision to cast from Chrome. An iOS product such as an ipad will not cast from Chrome, only Netflix and Youtube.

Thanks. Hopefully they'll add it to the iOS chrome.

In case anyone's interested, Best Buy in our area got a bunch of Chromecasts in all their nearby stores. I just ran down and picked up our second one from a stack of about 20. Just finished hooking it up to our family room 52" Samsung and all went smoothy. Fantastic picture on the 1080 set. Now we don't have to huddle around the 26" set in the bedroom.
TheKrell likes this.
post #116 of 657 Old 09-26-2013, 10:43 PM

with SuperHD now available to all Netflix users now, can anyone confirm if this is fully compatible with Chromecast? Anyway to verify this like a menu screen showing bitrate, etc??

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/26/netflix-super-hd-open-to-everyone/
post #117 of 657 Old 09-27-2013, 03:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by though View Post

with SuperHD now available to all Netflix users now, can anyone confirm if this is fully compatible with Chromecast? Anyway to verify this like a menu screen showing bitrate, etc??

it is not.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/26/4774732/netflix-super-hd-1080p-now-available-on-all-isp

"Still, to tap into Super HD video — which is delivered at a resolution of 1080p — you'll need to be streaming Netflix from one of a specific set of devices, including Apple TV, Roku, Wii U, Windows 8 computers, and the Sony PlayStation 3."
post #118 of 657 Old 09-27-2013, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by though View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

it is not.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/26/4774732/netflix-super-hd-1080p-now-available-on-all-isp

"Still, to tap into Super HD video — which is delivered at a resolution of 1080p — you'll need to be streaming Netflix from one of a specific set of devices, including Apple TV, Roku, Wii U, Windows 8 computers, and the Sony PlayStation 3."

That's incorrect. It is compatible. Netflix Super HD is available on any streaming player with existing Netflix 1080p support, which the Chromecast has.
post #119 of 657 Old 09-28-2013, 07:58 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

I have two chromecasts and one runs quite warm to the touch and the other not so much. Do you think the hot one is defective?
post #120 of 657 Old 09-28-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

That's incorrect. It is compatible. Netflix Super HD is available on any streaming player with existing Netflix 1080p support, which the Chromecast has.

Easy way to check - play "Example Short 23.976" if you get 4300 or 5800 kbps you are getting 'Super HD'

The bit rate is displayed on screen with this 'interesting' title.

I may try later if I get a chance.

Edit - just checked - yes it ramped up to 5800 kbps in about 15 seconds.

So I am getting Netflix Super HD on my Chromecast through Comcast.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page