*Official* Google Chromecast owners thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #181 of 641 Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yeah, Hulu+ needs to get in on 5.1 audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 641 Old 10-22-2013, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
They need to get plex on there already! :-)
post #183 of 641 Old 10-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb4133 View Post

They need to get plex on there already! :-)

I'm expecting it will be soon. Plex has even registered with DIAL. You may already know this but in case you or someone else doesn't, if you use the Plex Web app in a Chrome tab, you can play everything, even things that Chrome does not play, and then cast that. It works great for me. I can cast everything that I have on my Plex server.
post #184 of 641 Old 10-23-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

I'm expecting it will be soon. Plex has even registered with DIAL. You may already know this but in case you or someone else doesn't, if you use the Plex Web app in a Chrome tab, you can play everything, even things that Chrome does not play, and then cast that. It works great for me. I can cast everything that I have on my Plex server.

Blu-ray ISO's?

Steve
post #185 of 641 Old 10-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post

Blu-ray ISO's?

there's no way you're getting that mush data to transfer uncompressed wirelessly
post #186 of 641 Old 10-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post

Blu-ray ISO's?

For streaming purposes, Plex does not support iso or disk image formats (although there are hacks that I haven't tried). I rip my DVDs as mkv and that works great. I don't own any Bluray discs so can't comment directly about Bluray mkv files streaming to the Chromecast through Plex Web app on Chrome.
post #187 of 641 Old 10-23-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

For streaming purposes, Plex does not support iso or disk image formats (although there are hacks that I haven't tried). I rip my DVDs as mkv and that works great. I don't own any Bluray discs so can't comment directly about Bluray mkv files streaming to the Chromecast through Plex Web app on Chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

there's no way you're getting that mush data to transfer uncompressed wirelessly

I wasn't thinking when I asked that question. Everything I stream with besides the Chromecast is hard wired so I don't think in terms of wireless.

Btw, I'm pretty impressed with the picture quality while using Chromecast. We've been playing around with Hulu + since the update and really like it. I've been trying to figure out how to cut the cord.........

Steve
post #188 of 641 Old 10-24-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I've found a very simple but very satisfying use for my Chromecast. I have my music collection in Google Music cloud (in addition to FLAC's locally). I now cast my music through my Denon receiver from my tablet.
post #189 of 641 Old 10-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

I've found a very simple but very satisfying use for my Chromecast. I have my music collection in Google Music cloud (in addition to FLAC's locally). I now cast my music through my Denon receiver from my tablet.

I don't do Google music. If i wanted to do the same with just local MP3s & FLACs, how well would that work? How good is the user interface on the tablet for queuing music/playlists/etc.?
post #190 of 641 Old 10-24-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
It's pretty good, especially the instant mixes.
post #191 of 641 Old 10-24-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

I don't do Google music. If i wanted to do the same with just local MP3s & FLACs, how well would that work? How good is the user interface on the tablet for queuing music/playlists/etc.?

I don't do Google music either. It worked ok when I had it (nothing great or negative). I prefer using the Foobar to stream to my AVR. It used less resources and works every bit as good. 

Klipsch RF-82II

Denon 2113ci

post #192 of 641 Old 10-25-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm old school in that I decide who, then what album then play it, so I can' t comment on playlists.

As for the interface considering the way I use it, it's fine. My only complaint is it won't start up directly into my library, but that's no big deal. You can play local files but you need to use file location url's, way to cumbersome.

I use to have a computer hooked up in my theater. I've tried iTunes, MediaMonkey, FooBar, and others. This is simpler and just works. I won't get into the debate whether the 320kb files sound sound different then my flac files. I know the answer for my ears.
post #193 of 641 Old 10-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
^Thanks. Sounds like the interface is more like a file browser/directory approach, that would not meet my desires. I typically play albums as well, but also sometimes queue up multiple albums and/or individual songs. I like having album art in the GUI on the tablet, but simple listing of artists and albums is OK if selection is easy. I think for now I'll stay away from Chromecast and find another approach to a low cost dedicated music device.
post #194 of 641 Old 10-28-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
If you are talking about Play Music, it is like most modern tablet/phone interfaces. You have to have your music in the cloud. It has album art. You just cast it over to the chromecast from the device you are using. You don't need a chromecast to use play music.
post #195 of 641 Old 10-28-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
^ +1
Quote:

Quote:

^Thanks. Sounds like the interface is more like a file browser/directory approach, that would not meet my desires. I typically play albums as well, but also sometimes queue up multiple albums and/or individual songs. I like having album art in the GUI on the tablet, but simple listing of artists and albums is OK if selection is easy. I think for now I'll stay away from Chromecast and find another approach to a low cost dedicated music device.

You probably wanna wait & see what CC get to offer next in terms of new apps/local play. The file browser approach is just workaround for now…. here is CC current app list.

post #196 of 641 Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Currently only the "big boys" are getting "white listed" for Chromecast but the docs infer it will eventually be opened up for anyone. The current SDK is only for seeing how it works.
post #197 of 641 Old 10-31-2013, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

post #198 of 641 Old 10-31-2013, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
post #199 of 641 Old 10-31-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Heads up for anyone getting a Chromecast dongle who uses the Actiontec c1000a DSL modem. It doesn't play well with the Chromecast. I had read before installing the Actiontec to not use it's wireless router, instead to just use it as a modem and pass the packets to your own router. I tried it's own wireless and found my network devices couldn't always see the dongle. It would show up, then disappear.

I reconfigured the modem to only be a modem and Chromecast is working again.
post #200 of 641 Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 AM

Liked: 10
let me rephrase this for him... to anyone using an Actiontec ANYTHING, get rid of it and get something that works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

Heads up for anyone getting a Chromecast dongle who uses the Actiontec c1000a DSL modem. It doesn't play well with the Chromecast. I had read before installing the Actiontec to not use it's wireless router, instead to just use it as a modem and pass the packets to your own router. I tried it's own wireless and found my network devices couldn't always see the dongle. It would show up, then disappear.

I reconfigured the modem to only be a modem and Chromecast is working again.
post #201 of 641 Old 10-31-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by though View Post

let me rephrase this for him... to anyone using an Actiontec ANYTHING, get rid of it and get something that works.
This is a thread about Chromecast, not Actiontec, and I posted a tip for those that have both. Take your Actiontec hate elsewhere.
post #202 of 641 Old 11-07-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Currently only the "big boys" are getting "white listed" for Chromecast but the docs infer it will eventually be opened up for anyone. The current SDK is only for seeing how it works.

did you try KyoCast? btw.
post #203 of 641 Old 11-08-2013, 09:40 AM

JRock3x8

I joined AVS because you seem to have the same problem I do. Chromecast is working mostly well for me, but I still have a problem. I can cast from my Android device, but I'm denied from my Win7 laptop.

I'm not sure Symantec is the problem, but I can't figure out anything else. To troubleshoot, I've added a half-dozen exceptions to my Symantec Endpoint Protection client. None of them help. I'm administrator of my laptop, but it's locked down by the group policy. I cannot kill the SEP service or client, even from Safe Mode...

If I use my Android to get my TV 'Ready to cast,' my laptop still cannot see the device. I've called Google twice (what a disappointment that has been,) and now am waiting for the second tier to get back to me. I've tried this with two Chromecasts, and two TVs, but I don't have another wireless PC to try.

Since someone else posted the same problem you and I have, but no solution, and Google's search results for Chromecast and Symantec are limited, I'll post a reply here in case Google are able to help me finally get connected.

Thanks

post #204 of 641 Old 11-08-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

did you try KyoCast? btw.
I don't have any spare Android devices to root and am not that interested anyway. My plate is full at the moment. wink.gif
post #205 of 641 Old 11-10-2013, 10:38 AM
KG1

Guys,
Need your advice on what you think of this solution:
I am trying to get a poor man's version of whole-house audio by using Chromecast and a bunch of cheap refurb receivers
(or great deals on 2012/2013 models during T'Giving sales) in multiple locations.

For e.g. I plan on getting a Denon 1613 and a Chromecast for the master bedroom/bathroom area.
Another 1613 or similar with another Chromecast for the patio area and another for the family room.
I currently have the family room one already setup (picked up a 1613 open box for $120) and works great, I fire up my AVR-Remote app on my android device,
switch the 1613 on, then hit Google Play Music and start streaming to the Family Room Chromecast device...

Now, I realize I won't get true whole house audio like being able to play same music everywhere at the same time +
the control/UI won't be as smooth as say, Sonos, in that I will have to switch on each receiver individually and
select music to stream there, but I don't envision playing music all at once in all zones too much.

Plus, with the seperate receiver/chromecast for each zone, I can also in the future, connect a tv and it becomes
more a video playback/control zone too. I do plan on eventually adding a TV to the patio, for example....

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
KG

PS: I have heard people have been able to turn on the reciever and switch to the right input just by starting to
stream something to the Chromecast, but I haven't been able to figure that out yet (seems like I would have to turn
off HDMI passthrough and HDMI-CEC off?, any help on this would also be appreciated)
post #206 of 641 Old 11-10-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG1 View Post

PS: I have heard people have been able to turn on the reciever and switch to the right input just by starting to
stream something to the Chromecast, but I haven't been able to figure that out yet (seems like I would have to turn
off HDMI passthrough and HDMI-CEC off?, any help on this would also be appreciated)

I don’t think CC ‘d control AVR (input /power) via HDMI-CEC w/o a TV in the loop - even if CC is plugged directly into an AVR (it appears CC saves EDID on reset).
How did you perform CC initial setup? with or w/o a TV?

Anyway to make sure, try this (w/o a TV),
Factory reset CC > AVR on (switched to CC input) & enable HDMI-CEC > perform CC initial setup …
Try it … switch avr input turn it off > cast something …
post #207 of 641 Old 11-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertabrett View Post

JRock3x8

I joined AVS because you seem to have the same problem I do. Chromecast is working mostly well for me, but I still have a problem. I can cast from my Android device, but I'm denied from my Win7 laptop.

I'm not sure Symantec is the problem, but I can't figure out anything else. To troubleshoot, I've added a half-dozen exceptions to my Symantec Endpoint Protection client. None of them help. I'm administrator of my laptop, but it's locked down by the group policy. I cannot kill the SEP service or client, even from Safe Mode...

If I use my Android to get my TV 'Ready to cast,' my laptop still cannot see the device. I've called Google twice (what a disappointment that has been,) and now am waiting for the second tier to get back to me. I've tried this with two Chromecasts, and two TVs, but I don't have another wireless PC to try.

Since someone else posted the same problem you and I have, but no solution, and Google's search results for Chromecast and Symantec are limited, I'll post a reply here in case Google are able to help me finally get connected.

Thanks

my issue is 100% work firewall
post #208 of 641 Old 11-11-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have a question about the Chromecast that has been bothering me. Can you just hook it up to a TV and use it right away witha screen where you can use apps or do you have to use a phone or tablet? Also when you watch something does it stream from the phone or tablet to the Chromecast directly?

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #209 of 641 Old 11-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

I have a question about the Chromecast that has been bothering me. Can you just hook it up to a TV and use it right away witha screen where you can use apps or do you have to use a phone or tablet? Also when you watch something does it stream from the phone or tablet to the Chromecast directly?

The Chromecast does not have it's own builtin interface. You need to use a computer or phone/tablet. A phone or tablet will only cast apps that have built-in integration, such as pandora, netflix, youtube, hulu plus, google play movies and music. When you cast from those apps you control the app on the device you cast from but the stream is actually coming from the cloud/service directly, not from your phone.

From a computer that's meets the required specs, you can cast a Chrome browser tab and in that case it does stream from the computer and use it's resources. You can cast many things this way that are not on the integrated app list. If you cast from netflix or youtube on the computer, using the builtin cast icon in the player, it will stream that from the service and not your computer like on the phone.
post #210 of 641 Old 11-11-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Thanks.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page