Extending WiFi coverage throughout the house - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if this is the right forum, but will try my luck.

At present time I have my WiFi router Netgear 4500 at one side of the house (on the second floor) and my smart TV on the other end of the house (on the first floor). Basically, I want to cover all of my house with the same network. I have difficulty finding a range extender that will basically extend my existing "MyWiFi" network without creating any secondary networks like MyWiFi1.
Just yesterday I purchased from Fry's NetGear Powerline 500 Mbps kit with WiFi access point. The guy in the store told me that these devices are easy to set up and they will extend my existing network under the same name. Well, it was indeed an easy set up, but once again I ended up with "MyWiFi" network with its limited range, but added "Netgear_EXT" network. I spend hours with Netgear tech on the phone only to be told to return this bundle back to the store and that I will always have two different network running in the house.

Anybody, had any success with type of devices that will extend your existing network without creating new one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had the Same issues for a while, i tried a number of different options, Antenna's, etc... what ended up working for me was a wireless Extender. My router is in the same location as yours, and so is my tv. I Own Asus RT-N66R Router. After some research I bought an AMPED Wireless SR20000G High Power Wireless Extender, and it solved my issues the SR20000G is Dual Band 2.4 / 5, there is a Single band 2.4 Model, SR10000 thats about 40-50$ Cheaper thats supposed to have similar performance without the 5ghz band.
Before i installed the Extender, on the TV end of my house i was seeing spotty Wireless signals, my PS3 was able to hold a decent connection but every other component would drop connection, or have low/limited connectivity. After purchasing the extender, I now see full bars (most of my compnents have 5 bars max) and on occasion ill see 4 bars, but its consistently operating in that range. Hope this helps.....
Old 08-01-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 71
How big are your houses?

I have an Asus RT-N66U and get good coverage throughout our tri-level house and most of our 1 acre yard.

I used to have multiple Linksys routers running Tomato and using WDS but the single RT-N66U gave better coverage and speed.

If you want to extend the range using the same network check if the Netgear 4500 supports WDS (either with stock firmware or Tomato/DDWRT etc) and add a second compatible WDS router.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayArea View Post

Not sure if this is the right forum, but will try my luck.

At present time I have my WiFi router Netgear 4500 at one side of the house (on the second floor) and my smart TV on the other end of the house (on the first floor). Basically, I want to cover all of my house with the same network. I have difficulty finding a range extender that will basically extend my existing "MyWiFi" network without creating any secondary networks like MyWiFi1.
Just yesterday I purchased from Fry's NetGear Powerline 500 Mbps kit with WiFi access point. The guy in the store told me that these devices are easy to set up and they will extend my existing network under the same name. Well, it was indeed an easy set up, but once again I ended up with "MyWiFi" network with its limited range, but added "Netgear_EXT" network. I spend hours with Netgear tech on the phone only to be told to return this bundle back to the store and that I will always have two different network running in the house.

Anybody, had any success with type of devices that will extend your existing network without creating new one?

What you are trying to do is quite common. The Netgear XWN5001 Powerline Wifi Access Point I assume you have will do what you want. This can also be accomplished by other means too which I will address in a moment. But first off to do what you want with the kit that you bought you need to make the SSID the same in both your router and the access point. You can do this in the setup page of the 5001. If you look at the manual on page 14 of the 5001 (get it here http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XWN5001/XWN5001_UM_17OCT2012.pdf) it shows how to set the SSID. You just need to match it to your main wifi network name.

Most companies like to set extenders to add a suffix to the wifi networks ssid to avoid interference. This is important because when you are extending wireless via wireless you have to share bandwidth and have risk of network collision. In the 5001 case you are using the electrical wiring to extend the signal to the other room not wireless so in this case not an issue. But Netgear tech support will always take the safe route and having a separate SSID is always best.

This said you should be aware of the other aspect that you need to look for and that is the channels that the router and access point are using. Ideally you want them on different channels. In the case of 2.4ghz band there are 11 channels. You need to separate by at least 4. So if the router is at channel 1 you should make the access point at channel 6. The reason for this is that if they are on the same channel or nearby channel you will get interference. In my home I have a router and 2 access points. The router is channel 1, 1 access point is channel 6 and the other channel 11. All are happy and I have a seamless network on both 2.4 and 5 g bands. In the case of 5g there are many more channel choices and I let the devices auto configure the channel numbers there. It is the 2.4 that you need to pay attention to.

Lastly you can use a router as an access point if you like. To do so you would need a wire or powerline device to get your ethernet connection. Then in the router you turn off DHCP functions and set the ip address of the acccess point at something outside your main router DHCP range. Then set SSID and channels up as I described above and connect the ethernet cable to one of the lan ports NOT the Wan port. Then you are good to go.

But the 5001 kit you bought simplifies all that so that is probably your easiest solution.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
oman321 likes this.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

What you are trying to do is quite common. The Netgear XWN5001 Powerline Wifi Access Point I assume you have will do what you want. This can also be accomplished by other means too which I will address in a moment. But first off to do what you want with the kit that you bought you need to make the SSID the same in both your router and the access point. You can do this in the setup page of the 5001. If you look at the manual on page 14 of the 5001 (get it here http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XWN5001/XWN5001_UM_17OCT2012.pdf) it shows how to set the SSID. You just need to match it to your main wifi network name.

Most companies like to set extenders to add a suffix to the wifi networks ssid to avoid interference. This is important because when you are extending wireless via wireless you have to share bandwidth and have risk of network collision. In the 5001 case you are using the electrical wiring to extend the signal to the other room not wireless so in this case not an issue. But Netgear tech support will always take the safe route and having a separate SSID is always best.

This said you should be aware of the other aspect that you need to look for and that is the channels that the router and access point are using. Ideally you want them on different channels. In the case of 2.4ghz band there are 11 channels. You need to separate by at least 4. So if the router is at channel 1 you should make the access point at channel 6. The reason for this is that if they are on the same channel or nearby channel you will get interference. In my home I have a router and 2 access points. The router is channel 1, 1 access point is channel 6 and the other channel 11. All are happy and I have a seamless network on both 2.4 and 5 g bands. In the case of 5g there are many more channel choices and I let the devices auto configure the channel numbers there. It is the 2.4 that you need to pay attention to.

Lastly you can use a router as an access point if you like. To do so you would need a wire or powerline device to get your ethernet connection. Then in the router you turn off DHCP functions and set the ip address of the acccess point at something outside your main router DHCP range. Then set SSID and channels up as I described above and connect the ethernet cable to one of the lan ports NOT the Wan port. Then you are good to go.

But the 5001 kit you bought simplifies all that so that is probably your easiest solution.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant

I have a similar setup....Router on my 1st floor and access point on 2nd floor running DDWRT. My problem is that as I move between floors, my cell phone stays connected to one of the two and sometimes can take a while before it switches to the router or access point with the best signal. Bob, you mentioned that you have a "seamless" network. Does this mean that your wireless devices (cell phone, iPad) can somehow detect your router and 2 access points really as a single WiFi source and you don't have this switching issue as you move throughout the house?

One thing I haven't tried yet is to move the router to the top floor. Maybe that will get me better coverage and I can eliminate the AP.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:24 PM

The original poster said "I will try my luck", and he was lucky !. Got a lot of feedback, and advice.

Sorry to be sneaky, but wanted to see if I can try my luck too. My situation is similar to the poster's too. Please advice, if you can.

Here is my setup:

I have a Netgear N600 router on the first floor office.
Components hard-wired:
1. Vonage phone
2. Network printer
3. WD Network HD
4. Conenction to basement Cisco Megabit switch port

Problem I am having is my Samsung DVD on the same floor and not more than 15 meters (not is line of sight) does not stream Netflix or Hulu consistently. Hulu+ especially goes into a loading mode very often.

Also, one of my bedrooms (son's) does not get any signal. I have AMPED Wireless receiver there, but he can never see the signal.

Any advice in what I can do. My provider is AT&T.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Yes that is correct. I move through my house and my iphone, ipad seamlessly connect to the stronger wifi signal. As I stated make sure SSID is the same, channels are different. When I am in the middle of my house there is some switching that may create a momentary blip but that is it. I would try moving them apart if you can. Or depending on what you have you may be able to lower the wifi power on 1 device. If your signal is strong enough the device may not feel the need to switch.

Bob Silver
Netgear
Old 08-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanrags View Post

The original poster said "I will try my luck", and he was lucky !. Got a lot of feedback, and advice.

Sorry to be sneaky, but wanted to see if I can try my luck too. My situation is similar to the poster's too. Please advice, if you can.

Here is my setup:

I have a Netgear N600 router on the first floor office.
Components hard-wired:
1. Vonage phone
2. Network printer
3. WD Network HD
4. Conenction to basement Cisco Megabit switch port

Problem I am having is my Samsung DVD on the same floor and not more than 15 meters (not is line of sight) does not stream Netflix or Hulu consistently. Hulu+ especially goes into a loading mode very often.

Also, one of my bedrooms (son's) does not get any signal. I have AMPED Wireless receiver there, but he can never see the signal.

Any advice in what I can do. My provider is AT&T.

What model router do you have? Is there a wall between the router and DVD. Is there a computer near the router? What else is on the network wifi that may be eating wifi bandwidth? Can you get consistent Hulu playback on another wireless device?

Bob Silver
Netgear
Old 08-05-2013, 02:02 PM

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayArea View Post
 but once again I ended up with "MyWiFi" network with its limited range, but added "Netgear_EXT" network. I spend hours with Netgear tech on the phone only to be told to return this bundle back to the store and that I will always have two different network running in the house.

I purchased the NetGear Wifi Extender and had similar results. The connection on the "_EXT" network proved very unreliable for me, so I ended up unplugging it and its going back to Amazon.

I did do something that helped my connection and was much cheaper than what I paid for the Netgear device. I created a tinfoil wrapped deflector shield and placed it behind my router's antennas in order to direct as much of the signal into my living area as possible (my router is in a closet in a room at the corner of our house). So far I've had no further issues with the connection throughout the house and out onto our deck.

Here are a couple of links in case you want to try something like this yourself:

http://exeterra.blogspot.com/2007/08/how-to-boost-your-wifi-signal-for-free.html

http://makezine.com/2013/03/26/how-to-improve-your-wifi-signal-using-a-soda-can-in-6-steps/

https://www.google.com/search?q=DIY+wifi+booster&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yQUAUvevEO-u4APmoYCgBQ&ved=0CEQQsAQ&biw=1355&bih=722

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
Old 08-05-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

What model router do you have? Is there a wall between the router and DVD. Is there a computer near the router? What else is on the network wifi that may be eating wifi bandwidth? Can you get consistent Hulu playback on another wireless device?

Bob Silver
Netgear

I have a Netgear N600 (DGND3700V2) router. I have a couple of other devices running on the wi-fi. I work from home, so my office laptop is one, and we usually have a iPad, couple of iPhones connected to the wi-fi. Not all of them are streaming. Recently, with schools out, my son is always on his laptop streaming stuff (movies, Netflix, H+ etc).

I get better performance from WD Live box in a upstaris bedroom.....

And, yes, there is a wall between the Samsung DVD and the router.

Thanks for your response.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanrags View Post

I have a Netgear N600 (DGND3700V2) router. I have a couple of other devices running on the wi-fi. I work from home, so my office laptop is one, and we usually have a iPad, couple of iPhones connected to the wi-fi. Not all of them are streaming. Recently, with schools out, my son is always on his laptop streaming stuff (movies, Netflix, H+ etc).

I get better performance from WD Live box in a upstaris bedroom.....

And, yes, there is a wall between the Samsung DVD and the router.

Thanks for your response.

The 3700 is a great router. Have 2 in use currently. One in a router form and one configured as an access point.

What I suggest is this. Move everything you can to the 5ghz band on the router. Obviously requires your devices have that. Most current laptops, Ipads etc do. The 5ghz band is less crowded. What you want is to insure you are not creating a bottleneck on the 2.4ghz side. I am assuming too that your DVD player is only a 2.4 g device.

Regarding your wall. Is it new or old construction. Older construction may have wire mesh in it which can block a signal.

If your son is streaming on the 2.4g side and you try and stream too you will have congestion. That is most likely your issue. Moving to a 5ghz band with his laptop will fix that issue.

Lastly check the signal strength near your dvd player. You can find apps for pc's or macs. Unfortunately Apple removed a great app from the app store that ran on the iphone so best to use a laptop or android device for this.

Bob Silver
Netgear
Old 09-03-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 177
So let me see if I understand this correctly:

adding a device like this powerline adapter to my N900 router "truly" extends the existing network without creating a secondary network where devices can drift in between the 2?

This is an issue for me as backyard wifi will almost certainly be right between this device and my router. The only hitch with the powerline adapter is that it needs to be directly connected to my router (which thankfully for me is easily done)?

thanks

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Old 09-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

So let me see if I understand this correctly:

adding a device like this powerline adapter to my N900 router "truly" extends the existing network without creating a secondary network where devices can drift in between the 2?

This is an issue for me as backyard wifi will almost certainly be right between this device and my router. The only hitch with the powerline adapter is that it needs to be directly connected to my router (which thankfully for me is easily done)?

thanks

James

James,

Just replied to the other post but Ill answer again. As long as the SSID is the same the devices will switch from one wifi signal source to next. This works and is how my main home is configured. What you need to look for is that the 2.4g hz channels are at least 5 channels apart. So if router A is channel 1 and access point B is channel 6 or higher you are fine. The 5ghz band can be left on automatic. There are many more channels in that range.

One powerline device needs to be connected to your wired network. Can be at the router or anywhere else you can connect. The other end connects to an ethernet port on the access point router NOT THE WAN port. Then you are good to go.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant

Tags
Asus Rt N66u Dual Band Wireless N900 Gigabit Router
Gear in this thread - N900 by PriceGrabber.com