Dish Network Hopper with Wireless Joeys - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 08-03-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I read on a Dish Network Installer forum that the Joey could be connected to the Hopper via wifi, negating the need to run coax. I called Dish Technical Support and was told by one "extremely knowledgeable" (her words, not mine) that "No TV provider has wireless remote receivers". When I pointed out to her that Uverse uses that as one of their sales pitches,she told me I was incorrect. I asked for Level 2 Tech Support and that tech told me that the wireless Joey was in a beta test mode and he himself was using it with great results. He told me that they used a Netgear wifi adapter and said he would send me one (at a cost of $25). i told him to do so. In the meantime, I connected an Iogear wifi adapter that I use on an old Blue Ray HTIB, and to my surprise, it programmed itself to the Joey and the Hopper. I now have a Joey in my wife's exercise room and did not have to run another coax. I received the adapter(s) from Dish (I actaully received 3) and connected it to the same Joey. It was a bit more work to connect it (more manual steps to follow) but it works great. The advantage to using the Dish adapter is that it is about $10 cheaper than the Iogear, but more importantly, Dish will support it. They can't (or won't) support the Iogear. I will use my second Joey for my outdoor theater. I just posted this in case any of you have the equipment and ant the flexibility of moving it without running wires.
TheKrell likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Could you tell me more about the wireless.  I too have a netgear wireless thing from dish... but don't know who to use it.  do I plug my television into that little box? or just plug the tv to power and in close proximetry to the netgear box and the television should work?

I have all neceseary equipment but now the tech is gone and i don't remember how to use it.

thank you for your help.

post #3 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

IMHO this thread should be in the DVR forum: http://www.avsforum.com/f/42/hdtv-recorders instead of this one.

To answer childers, your TV should be plugged into your Dish receiver, NOT a wireless dongle. The wireless dongle goes on the Dish receiver in place of a wired Ethernet connection. This is most beneficial for plugging into a Joey as the OP stated, and works fine (once it's already mated to a Hopper). It's not so exciting on other Dish receivers, because the network is only used for streaming (and telling Dish where you are), and those other receivers still require a coax to the antenna. A Joey, on the other hand, does not have a satellite tuner itself. So, with a wireless dongle, it can easily be moved anywhere within range of your wireless router, along with a TV, and only need A/C power.
post #4 of 22 Old 12-03-2013, 01:26 PM

Liked: 11

After reading this thread I purchased a Joey and Dish Net/Netgear wifi adapter from Amazon. Installation was smooth. Ran a temporary coax from the dish to the Joey, called Dish, got the Joey authorized and working. Seemed to work well for the couple minutes I tested it.

Shut everything down, disconnected coax and plugged in the wifi adapter. System recognized it, added it to the Hopper host as well as enabling MoCA bridging, did the wifi wizard thing to join my home network and sure enough, picture and sound. Tested it for a few minutes, everything seemed fine so I shut it down.

That was all about a week ago. In the week that the Joey has been unused it apparently downloaded an update. Now when I try to use it the system performance is slow as molasses and picture is severely pixelated with frequent artifacts and frequent loss of sound.

I played with it for a while and discovered SD channels don't have as much of a problem. That was my "ah ha" moment. I reduced the HD resolution from 1080i/p to 480i. Problem slightly improved, but persisted. As of now the only way I can watch TV on this Joey is by tuning the SD channels. HD versions of every channel displays the issue with pixelation/artifacts/sound.

So clearly I'm having a bandwidth issue. Odd that it was not a problem when I first connected the Joey. But for whatever reason it is now.

I guess my question is... if I upgrade my wifi router will that resolve the problem completely, or just "improve". Right now my configuration can't even keep up with 480i, let alone 1080i/p. I surely don't want to shell out a bundle on a new dual band N router only to discover the problem persists.

I suppose one method of testing would be to run a temporary Cat6 cable and try a hardwired ethernet connection. If the problem goes away then a high quality wifi router may likely resolve the issues.

I'm grateful for any comments or insight.

post #5 of 22 Old 12-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

#1 I don't think you want MoCA bridging enabled when you aren't actually using MoCA.

#2 If a hardwired Ethernet connection fixes the problem, this does not mean a new router will likewise fix it. Could be wifi interference. Are any other wifi devices having bandwidth problems?
post #6 of 22 Old 12-04-2013, 12:03 PM

Thanks for your reply. You are correct on the MoCA bridging. It occurred to me last night... once I replaced the coax with wifi MoCA bridging was no longer serving a purpose. I've disabled it. Of course had no effect on my issue.

No other wifi devices are having problems. I have a notebook PC, Android phone and gaming console all using wifi without any performance issues. Joe reports wifi signal strength at near 100%. Clearly that doesn't preclude interference issues, but it does minimize effect if they exist.

Haven't had a chance to try the hardline. Probably this weekend I'll try an ethernet cable and also re-run that temp coax cable I used to authorize the Joey during setup and compare the various iterations for performance effect.

TheKrell likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 12-13-2013, 07:08 AM

I hooked my Joey up with the wireless Ethernet and for the most part, it works fine.  I have 2 issues:

1 -  After a period of time (normally 15-20 minutes) of watching, the screen will go blank.  If I hit the Guide key, it comes up with data and works fine.   If I re-select the channel, it re-establishes the link with the Hopper and works fine.

2 - about once a week, I turn on the Joey and it can't find the Hopper on the network at all. (it's there.)   I've made sure the Hopper is on and I've reset my router.   When I look at the network info - it didn't get a DHCP address.   I have to go thru the ethernet programming from scratch so it can get a dhcp address.

I'd rather just plug an ethernet cable into the back port of the Joey than mess around with wireless... but my understanding is that won't work.

Tim.

post #8 of 22 Old 12-13-2013, 08:12 AM

I intended to try a ethernet cable to see if it resolved my issue, but never got around to it. I reconnected a coax cable and have absolutely NO issues with the Joey at all, but wifi is still intermittent. Again, coax works perfectly.

post #9 of 22 Old 12-13-2013, 08:31 AM

I'm a sat technician and setup wireless joeys occasionally. One thought that I didn't se if you'd done is to replace to WiFi dongle. It could be a faulty usb port on the joey. Something else I've done is to put the router directly on the joey via ethernet and wireless the Hopper. So wired works fine.

BTW does anyone know what the bandwidth usage is for this solution.
post #10 of 22 Old 12-25-2013, 06:23 PM

My Hopper and 3 Joeys are scheduled to be here tomorrow. The hopper will be in my home theatre with a direct feed from the dishes and a solo node. One of the Joeys will have a solid Moca coax feed. The other two Joeys may be a different story. I most likely will have ethernet to one location but the third one may end up trying wireless. My router is a very good netgear wirelessN dual band. I get solid 300 Mbps on my laptop, so bandwidth should not be a problem.

I have seen quite a few people reporting issues with DHCP on the Joeys. I learned something a while back after I got this Netgear router. It does not store it's DHCP list for very long at all. It seems to go blank each day. Every device that stays n my network, I have had to go in and reserve it's IP address to it's MAC address. This way, each device on the list will always be given the reserved IP address and those addresses will never be given to any other device. It is a little bit of a pain, but it makes the network completely reliable. My old Belkin wireless G router used to store the DHCP client list FOREVER. That way, any device once connected, had it's MAC address remembered, and it would always be issued the same address if it showed up again. I did like that, but I did end up with a huge pile of unknown devices eating up addresses. Anyone who ever came over with a smart phone or tablet would reserve an address. Even if they did not have my password, it would still grab their MAC and reserve an IP address. The Netgear way does not suffer this issue, but instead, if a device goes off network for a day, another device might get it's previous IP address. Because of this, I was getting IP address conflicts and loss of connection on devices until I figured out what was going on. Even a computer that just went to sleep mode might have it's IP address issued to something else. Then it wakes up trying to use it's previous IP and it crashes the network with the IP conflict.

It appears that the Hopper and Joeys, even when using Moca, will ask the router for IP addresses. I will certainly go through and reserve IP address for each device.
post #11 of 22 Old 12-26-2013, 06:34 AM

I'm anxious to see what kind of result you get with the wifi connected Joey on a good router. Unfortunately I was never able to test a hard wired Ethernet connection in my scenario (my guests arrived early).

In my case I have long-term guests staying in an RV next to my house. We tried wifi once again to see how performance was in the RV. Of course since the RV was further from my router and signal strength was lower, Joey performance was even further degraded. Even SD channels set to lowest resolution that were somewhat working while in the house weren't displaying reliably in the RV (several visual artifacts in the picture and frequent loss of signal). I ran a 100 food RG6 cable from my outside Solo Node. Connected to the SATELLITE input on the RV, then connected Joey to the satellite receiver port inside the RV. Works perfectly (as anticipated).

I would prefer a wifi connection that was reliable though, so I'm anxious to see how yours works out with a good router. I'm using an older Actiontec PK5000. It supports 802.11g, and definitely not dual band 802.11n, so perhaps that will make the difference for you. I don't mind springing the $50 or $100 for a new router but I don't want to flush money down the drain hunting a solution that MIGHT work.

Regarding your IP conflicts, it sounds like you need to extend the DHCP lease term in your router. Of course simply reserving an IP address range and manually assigning addresses works fine but it's more effort and inconvenient. If you access your router's DHCP management utility you should be able to extend DHCP lease term. Theoretical maximum for a DHCP lease is about 135 years (32 bit field in the DHCP lease exchange). Realistically you should be able to set your DHCP lease term to a week or two and eliminate duplicate address conflicts. I agree though, assigning static addresses for Hopper, Joeys, desktop PC's, gaming systems, etc while leaving the majority of subnet IP's available for DHCP is the ideal configuration option.

post #12 of 22 Old 12-27-2013, 03:54 PM

My Hopper and Joeys are now installed. I have the Hopper connected with ethernet to my router and 2 of the Joeys connected with the Moca coax connection. The 3rd Joey is on ethernet from the router. It is a hard wired connection for now and it is working perfectly. Right now though, the 2 Joeys on Moca are not on the internet, and do not have IP addresses from my router. They show up as a different IP scheme, served by the Hopper. I need to find how to turn on network bridging to get the Hopper to route through from Ethernet to Moca.
post #13 of 22 Old 01-05-2014, 06:27 PM

Just exactly are what and where do you plug into the Hopper? Same question for the Joey(s).

What about setup instructions for the Hopper and/or the Joey(s)?

Thanks,

Richard

post #14 of 22 Old 01-06-2014, 02:39 PM

Hi guys,

similar issue here, I have a router that feeds a couple of switches (unmanaged) and my hopper and LAN was working great until a few days ago, where my hopper lost connection to the internet. my WAN is working fine but the hopper is connected directly to the LAN through one of the switches.

I checked the connection from the router to the switches and that was working fine, the problem is that the Switches are not passing any info to my router for DCHP, or at least seems like, so all my ports are dead, checked several of them with my laptop directly.

I had to connect the hopper directly to my router and that seemed to work but i have basically lost my LAN because my switches are just dead now, i left them unplugged to see if by today brings them back up; but i get the feeling is one of these hopper issues what im experiencing with the DHCP and hopper interface, i have 3 joeys and all are connected via coax.

anyone seen anything like this?

thanks 

jdr

post #15 of 22 Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 AM

How did you connect iogear to your tv
post #16 of 22 Old 04-09-2014, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had no idea this thread grew up. The wireless adapter that Dish sent me is actually a Netgear WNDA3100 that has a Dish sticker on it. I plugged the adapter into the usb input on the Joey, went through the wireless set up procedure (basically scan for network, enter network key, watch tv). I can honestly say that I have not had any issues with any of my Joeys (I have 3). I had Uverse internet when I got the Joeys. Using the Uverse wireless gateway - no problems. Switched to Cox internet (needed more speed, plus I have a docsis3 modem and and an Asus router that I don't pay monthly for) and still no issues with wifi Joeys. I put a Joey on a rolling table in my garage, set a 19" tv on there, plugged them in to a 75 ft extension cord and pushed them toward the street. My router is at the back of my house about 50 ft from the plug in the garage. I ran out of extension cord before I ran out of signal. At approximately 125 ft from the router, I had signal strength in the 88 - 90 range. I'm sorry to hear that some of you are having problems. maybe the thing to do is use the Netgear WNDA3100 ($19.99 on Amazon) adapter since it is what Dish sends out. Good luck.
post #17 of 22 Old 05-04-2014, 08:19 AM

Ok so I just switched to a hopper system and I am trying to add Joey's with wifi. I have tried several wifi dongles all with no luck. When I plug them into either of my joeys the Joey's don't even recognize a the USB adapter is plugged in? Both joeys are active and I have a good strong AC router. I have tried several wifi adapter from Netgear and Linksys. Any suggestions?
post #18 of 22 Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 AM

You have to program the joey's first via coaxial. I purchased the net gear USB wifi on amazon the same one that is used with the sling. Sports come out a little choppy, but all other programming is great
post #19 of 22 Old 05-04-2014, 10:39 AM

Both joeys are programmed and functioning just fine but neither even recognizes the USB adapter is plugged in?
post #20 of 22 Old 05-04-2014, 12:26 PM

Take a pic, so I can see what you got. Try the usb you have on the hopper
post #21 of 22 Old 05-04-2014, 12:47 PM

The USB adapter works on everything else I put it into. Problem I have is neither Joey even recognizes something is plugged in. On screen it says this feature not available
post #22 of 22 Old 05-04-2014, 12:59 PM

Try dish tech support. It should work. When did you program joey
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page