Dish Hopper Data Usage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-06-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased the Hopper from Dish and am in need of selecting an internet source. In looking at different plans, my concern is in regard to how much data I expect to use with the Dish Anywhere and Dish Transfers app on my IPad.

When watching content using the Dish Anywhere on another network, does the Hopper upload content through my home network using my data, or would the IPad download from a cloud to the network my IPad is connected to?

And does utilizing the Dish Transfers app when both devices are connected to my router allow me to transfer data directly from Hopper to router to IPad. Or is it uploaded to a cloud and downloaded from the cloud to the IPad, using my data?

I appreciate any help!

Aces Full
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
My understanding is that the Hopper Transfer function only works over your local LAN. If you are using your Hopper w/Sling to stream Hopper content to your iPad, then that too goes over your LAN and consumes very minimal ISP usage to handshake with Dish servers.

The only times you really need to worry about your ISP caps are when you stream movies to your Hopper, or stream Hopper content to your iPad when it's elsewhere (not on your own LAN).
post #3 of 3 Old 08-06-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for your input!

We are looking at ISP options at this point and we have very few to pick from unfortunatley. I didn't know if the Verizon Home Fusion 5-12MBPS 10G limit for $60/mth. would suffice, or our local DSL 5MBPS unlimited for $75/mth was needed.

Sounds if we are able to utilize the Transfers app more than the Anywhere app the Verizon may work.

Thanks again!

Aces Full
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page