Need help finding router with the best range for wi-fi signal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-08-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I've done some research and checked CNET but would like to get some opinions before making my final decision. I'm not real concerned with options and features for my router, just one that will offer me the best Wi-Fi signal from a far distance. I plan on running in the 2.4 ghz mode. I currently have ATT U-Verse Fiber optic 25mbps connection. The router/modem combo that it comes with has pretty terrible range and I want to add a secondary router to it. Suggestions???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-08-2013, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If possible, I'd disable the Wireless/Routing features of the UVerse 2Wire Modem (use in bridged mode if allowed). Look into the EnGenius line of Routers if your main concern is range. Also, check out www.smallnetbuilder.com for more information.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-08-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMagik View Post

If possible, I'd disable the Wireless/Routing features of the UVerse 2Wire Modem (use in bridged mode if allowed). Look into the EnGenius line of Routers if your main concern is range. Also, check out www.smallnetbuilder.com for more information.

Thanks for the suggestion. Because I'm still a newb when it comes to networking, what exactly do you mean when you say use the UVerse 2 wire modem in bridged mode? I'm assuming it will no longer send out a Wi-Fi broadcast but only send a signal to a hardwired router or bridge adapter??? I found a couple Engenious products on Amazon's website.

This one is a router which seems like it would have good range
http://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-Technologies-XtraRange-Wireless-N-ESR600H/dp/B007IGLSFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375978019&sr=8-1&keywords=engenius+router

This other one has me confused. What exactly is a bridge and would it still send out a Wi-Fi signal with a password required?
http://www.amazon.com/Engenius-ENH200EXT-Business-Wireless-waterproof/dp/B005OEFW5K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1375978019&sr=8-3&keywords=engenius+router

If there's a better Engenious Router please let me know. Thanks again!

post #4 of 8 Old 08-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. Because I'm still a newb when it comes to networking, what exactly do you mean when you say use the UVerse 2 wire modem in bridged mode? I'm assuming it will no longer send out a Wi-Fi broadcast but only send a signal to a hardwired router or bridge adapter??? I found a couple Engenious products on Amazon's website.

This one is a router which seems like it would have good range
http://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-Technologies-XtraRange-Wireless-N-ESR600H/dp/B007IGLSFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375978019&sr=8-1&keywords=engenius+router

This other one has me confused. What exactly is a bridge and would it still send out a Wi-Fi signal with a password required?
http://www.amazon.com/Engenius-ENH200EXT-Business-Wireless-waterproof/dp/B005OEFW5K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1375978019&sr=8-3&keywords=engenius+router

If there's a better Engenious Router please let me know. Thanks again!

After more thought on this, Uverse may not let you disable the routing features of their 2Wire Gateway, as their IPTV services use those features. In that case I'd recommend disabling the Wireless features of the Uverse Gateway and adding an access point (AP); what sets EnGenius apart from other vendors is the amount of power the use for their Wireless Antenna's.....anywhere from 600mW to 1W, thus extending the wireless range of their products....compare that to the normal 50mW to 100mW the majority of other vendors use (Netgear, Linksys, etc). If your only looking to cover the 2.4GHz band I'd recommend this AP from EnGenius:

http://www.amazon.com/Engenius-EAP9550-Wireless-300Mbps-Repeater/dp/B00315VPL4/ref=pd_sim_pc_5

But this is probably the better buy as it cover both 2.4 & 5 GHz bands:

http://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-Technologies-High-powered-Distribution-EAP600/dp/B009V17BYC/ref=pd_sim_e_7

It's more expensive, but you're able to use the 5GHz band with the 2.4GHz band (which is very crowded); and most devices these days support the 5GHz band (plus it's faster than the 2.4 GHz band). An added benefit to both of these options in the use of PoE (power over ethernet); grab a PoE Injector and you can pretty much put these where ever you want in the house (you just have to run the Ethernet cable from the Uverse Gateway to the location you want to put the AP.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-08-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMagik View Post

After more thought on this, Uverse may not let you disable the routing features of their 2Wire Gateway, as their IPTV services use those features. In that case I'd recommend disabling the Wireless features of the Uverse Gateway and adding an access point (AP); what sets EnGenius apart from other vendors is the amount of power the use for their Wireless Antenna's.....anywhere from 600mW to 1W, thus extending the wireless range of their products....compare that to the normal 50mW to 100mW the majority of other vendors use (Netgear, Linksys, etc). If your only looking to cover the 2.4GHz band I'd recommend this AP from EnGenius:

http://www.amazon.com/Engenius-EAP9550-Wireless-300Mbps-Repeater/dp/B00315VPL4/ref=pd_sim_pc_5

But this is probably the better buy as it cover both 2.4 & 5 GHz bands:

http://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-Technologies-High-powered-Distribution-EAP600/dp/B009V17BYC/ref=pd_sim_e_7

It's more expensive, but you're able to use the 5GHz band with the 2.4GHz band (which is very crowded); and most devices these days support the 5GHz band (plus it's faster than the 2.4 GHz band). An added benefit to both of these options in the use of PoE (power over ethernet); grab a PoE Injector and you can pretty much put these where ever you want in the house (you just have to run the Ethernet cable from the Uverse Gateway to the location you want to put the AP.

So if I decide to go with either one of those devices, how do I connect to them via Wi-Fi? Will I setup a network name and password on the UVerse Modem or on this Access Point?

post #6 of 8 Old 08-08-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

So if I decide to go with either one of those devices, how do I connect to them via Wi-Fi? Will I setup a network name and password on the UVerse Modem or on this Access Point?

You'd configure the access point just as you would your Uverse Gateway. An AP is another device to manage though, although you would've had that issue if you went with a router also. Depending on how the AP is configured out the box, you may need to directly connect the AP to your computer for initial configuration; in essence, if it's not set to receive an IP automatically you'll need to connect it directly to your computer for initial config, but instructions to accomplish the config will be included in the package. Don't forget to disable the wireless features of the Uverse Gateway (you don't really need to, but for your needs it's probably best practice to do so).

I"m probably confusing the hell out of you, it's not intentional. Essentially once you disable the wireless features on the Uverse Gateway, it becomes just a plain ol router/modem combo, the AP will provide Wifi for your home and all Wifi configuration will be made to/on the AP. Wish I could draw in this post to give an idea of how your setup with an AP would look. Right now the Uverse Gateway probably has a gateway address of 192.168.1.254, let's see if this works:
Internet -->
Uverse Gateway
@ 192.168.1.254 -->
EnGenius AP
@ 192.168.1.253 -->
All your Wireless Clients
post #7 of 8 Old 08-08-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I also agree that smallnetbuilder has some great resources for finding the best router.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/view

I have an Asus RT-N66U and find its range and speed significantly better than my old 2 router system using WDS.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-10-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Be warn, you will need to know to how make your router go into bridge mode or else you will be having issues with the UVerse router / modem. I used to have U-Verse 25 Mbps as well, and it was impossible for me to make WNDR3700 in to bridge mode. U-Verse tech support wanted $99 dollars for support eek.gif I now use Comcast 50 Mbps with an ASUS AC66U, and it's been excellent.

The newer routers are easier to set to bridge mode. The ASUS AC66U, has a separate tab / setting and all you have to do with it is check the box. Also, the range and speed will depend on your slowest wireless device. So, if you've got a G rated device you will most likely be connected to G rated connection. Unless you've got a dual band router and you set one band for G, and the other for N / AC rated connection. That's how I've got mine set up.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Asus Rt N66u Dual Band Wireless N900 Gigabit Router
Gear in this thread - N900 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page