I just finished building my new PC, it will be used for gaming and as an HTPC.
Here is the problem, the PC is far away from my TV and my TV does not support Wifi. There has to be a better way than running a 30feet long HDMI cable.
So I am looking for a device that will let me stream movies from my desktop to the TV, wirelessly. I need some features though.
- Must be portable. I have multiple TV on different floors. So I will be carrying it around, a lot.
- Streaming wirelessly. I am guessing the best way is by using DLNA.
- Must have USB ports. I have a few external HD with videos/photos on it.
- Must support many file format, including Bluray. I would also love it if it would open a Bluray disc without having to open .m2ts files one by one.
- Apps like Youtube, Netflix, etc. A browser on it wouldn't be a bad thing.
- Remote Control, I would love to be able to use my mobile phone as a remote control. It removes the need of having yet another remote and provides more features, such as typing for the web browser.
Some optional things would be great, but not required :
- Bluetooth. So I can use a keyboard if required.
- Remote desktop streaming; in case the device does not support some file format, so I can just open TMT or PowerDVD remotely and play a movie from there. I am not sure if that would require me to run a 30feet IR Receiver though. Some android apps allow me to control my desktop from my phone to open the programs, files, etc... but I want to be able to stream the screen to the TV.
I was thinking about WD TV Live, as it seems to do pretty much anything I want. I am not sure if I can stream an entire Bluray movies though, or if I have to open the .m2ts files one by one.