How to best get cable reception in a room with no coax? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-11-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any ideas on how to best get cable to a room with "no cable"?

Right now, I am using a Slingbox 350, streaming to an WD TV Play with Slingplayer, but the UI is remarkably clumsy.

Are there any methods out there that might do a better job? I need to stream it to a tv, not a PC.

I can't help but feel there has to be a better way.....

Thanks,

Ico

A noble spirit embiggens even the smallest man. -- Jebediah Springfield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-12-2013, 06:57 AM

If you have Windows Media center you can use an Xbox as a WMC extender, connect to your TV. With a good N router you can do so wirelessly, if not use POwerline Ethernet adapters to use hardwired Ethernet.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-12-2013, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How far away is the cable? Have you considered using a wireless HDMI extender along with an RF remote? This would allow you to watch live TV without any additional compression introduced by a DVR.

I don't have any experience with a powerline WiFi adapter, but if I were streaming video to a PC, I would want something hardwired. I have a Squeezebox Touch (wireless g) that I stream high resolution audio files to and it occasionally has issues despite the router and media server being 10 feet away. I do live in an apartment complex and see a dozen+ routers so there could be other issues going on that impact my WiFi. I only share this because the amount of data transmitted with HD video content is only going to be greater and if you are watching live video, caching is not an option. If the powerline network adapters work as good as wired ethernet, I think it would be money well spent just from the headaches you will save from not having to deal with weak signals, etc.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-14-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I am on the high end of average on A/V proficiency and never even heard of these HDMI extenders. Will definitely give it a shot as the descriptions seems to be perfect for my needs (about 20 feet, through a single drywall barrier).

Should there be any problem splitting the DIRECTV coax from the wall and using two different genie boxes?

A noble spirit embiggens even the smallest man. -- Jebediah Springfield
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sling Media Slingbox 350 Turns Your Laptop Tablet Or Smartphone Into A Tv Sb350 100 , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi
Gear in this thread - Sb350 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page