KDLINKS HD720 Media Player with network attached storage (NAS) and FTP Server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Today I will be reviewing the superb KDLinks HD720 Media Center.

Let me first start off by telling you, it's extremely easy to set up. The HD720 comes with all of the cables you need to get started right away. The device also has as a hard drive enclosure that you can turn into a NAS or store any amount of movies, TV, or music for direct access to your media. The hard drive I installed was a 4TB internal hard drive and it fit into the HD720 perfectly with no issues. The hard drive is accessible through the menu and is very easy to get to. This product can also function as a FTP Server when it is attached to your home network via wired or wireless connection.

I want to point out that KDLinks actually supplies you with an HDMI cable and a USB cable as well. The only thing it doesn't come with are batteries for the remote control. I think including the HDMI cable (no company does) far makes up for the "Batteries Not Included"

The HD720 features a gigabit Ethernet LAN port, USB 3.0 inputs, SPDIF for 5.1/7.1 surround sound, and also comes with a remote control. I shared my music folder onto the network, turned on the machine and let it sit as that was recommended. The first startup gets the machine acclimated and then you proceed to go through a basic setup. After the setup you can go to settings and then setup your wireless or wired hookup to the network. I didn't have a hard wire connection where I installed the HD720, so I used the WIFI. I selected the wireless option, entered the network key, and I was ready to go. The only thing I had to do next was go to the devices and select network, type in my user name and password and presto! All of my music, movies, TV shows were all there ready to be watched!

The movies option was very interesting. By hitting the menu button on a selected movie, you can download all of the information about the movie, and that even includes Fan art and posters. This is really important because of XBMC is able to supply all the information and fan art as well. One thing I haven't seen anywhere else is the ability to preview the movie. Once you have selected the movie, on the left side of your screen you will see a windowed version of the movie actually playing. It's great that you can view the movie and still decide if you want to watch it or not.

A large part of why you should buy the HD720 is because of all of the different formats this amazing little player can do. Any file format of any media type can be played on this machine. What impressed me is the fact that it has a codec built in to play Flac file format for music as I have not seen that advertised anywhere.

The HD720 tells you the speed at which the network is running so that when you are watching a TV show or a movie on the network, you can tell if there will be buffer issues or playback issues. The quality of the videos that I am playing on the network are fantastic and it felt that I was actually playing them off of the hard drive inside.

TV shows, as long as you have them organized on your own network are very easy to access and play. Like I said previously, having the ability to play every file format is key. My favorite part about watching the TV shows is that you can start from the first episode of the season, and without telling the HD720 it will actually play the next episode.

You can change the resolution, but I always recommend 1080p and you can also screen adjust incase something isn't calibrated correctly. The HD720 box is completely silent and I don't hear any noise while watching my media. The WIFI hasn't dropped any signals, and I haven't had any buffer or stop/play issues with the network either. I haven't been able to try out the gigabit Ethernet at this time, but I am sure it functions great.

The HD720 also has a screen saver so that you aren't burning up your LCD, LED's or Plasma, not that Screen Burn has been a huge issue as of late. The box never gets too warm and I have it as an always on device.

The GUI is very easy and simple to use, and you can find the needed settings very fast. Setup is a breeze and all of the options and settings are basic so it's really easy to get around and select the settings you want. You have the ability to rescan drives for any changes that might have occurred as well.

The HD720 not only plays all of the music, movies, and t.v. you can imagine, but it does it with ease. A very slick looking box, that also has an option for your very own hard drive. Not only is this device perfect for at home use, but you can take it on the go. My scenario would be camping in an RV, have a TV , HDMI cable, and the HD720 with the hard drive installed with your favorite movies, music, and TV shows. It just shows you can travel anywhere with this box and as long as you have an HDMI cable you can hook it up to most every TV now and immediately have a hookup to your media world.

I give the HD720 the White-Out Stamp of approval and I think you should pick one up from the site I have included in this review. For the price, you can get a one stop shop for all of your media needs. I own an HTPC that I had built this year, and felt like this little box could replace it in a heart beat. It has a front LCD display and looks slick like a Home Theater device that is appropriate to have in your family room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Interesting…. this same review is published on Amazon.
post #3 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What's more interesting is not a single negative and we know that all players have negatives. Sounds more like an advertisement or at the least an extreme bias.
post #4 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I bought this the other day works great the only problem im having is down loading art work the. Remote was a pain to use poor ir had a hard time getting it to work with harmony smart control is not in their database would not work with hd700 that was in database has played everyfile i tried using blueray 3d iso mvk m2ts but this is my first experiance with this type off player
post #5 of 35 Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 AM

Well, I have to jump in here. I just received my kdlinks 680 yesterday and I LOVE this box. I think it is pretty much the same as the 720 but no hard drive bay and no 3d. The thing I like is the File Manager. I have all my shows on an external hard drive connected to my pc in the office. I can browse the hard drive so easily. I can rename files, move them and delete them after watching. Fast forward and rewind work so well. Previously I was using a Sony n200 streaming media player and DLNA does not do that well. This box also can start replaying a file where you left off, even if other people have watched other shows in between. It even has time seek if you want to just jump an hour into a movie. The only con I can think of is that it is white instead of black. Also, I had a pre-sale question and got an email answer almost immediately. It's only been a day and my needs are pretty simple, but I give this five stars. And I'm going to put this review on Amazon also.
post #6 of 35 Old 08-19-2013, 02:20 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Can I attach more hard drives using an USB hub?

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #7 of 35 Old 08-19-2013, 04:11 AM

It has 2 usb inputs on kdlinks 720 i use 2 tb external hard drive on mine
post #8 of 35 Old 08-19-2013, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post

It has 2 usb inputs on kdlinks 720 i use 2 tb external hard drive on mine

I was asking if someone could verify USB hub compatibility to connect additional hard drives.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #9 of 35 Old 08-19-2013, 11:12 AM

hello

i have the hd720 for few days now and I'm struggling with the gigabit Ethernet port.. any advice would be much appreciated
no matter what i do i cannot get network transfer rate more than 7MB/S
yes all my network setup is gigabit [ switch and router ]
i can copy to my synology nas with rate @ 77MB/S
light on the switch for the hd720 is green which indicate its 1000 Mbps .
if i change the PC Ethernet speed to 100 Mbps the transfer rate go down to 4MB/S if i change it to 1000 Mbps it never exceeded 8MB/S
please help,, any one can tell me the average network copy rate for this player ??
thanks in advance

note:
disabled firewall
disabled antivirus
cables is cat 6 [ also tried cat 5e]
i did reset the player
hdd usb 3.0 copy is 60 MB/S so hdd is fine
tried different switches and router
changed flow rate. jumbo frame , tried the second lan port on PC , you name it
post #10 of 35 Old 08-21-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita View Post

I was asking if someone could verify USB hub compatibility to connect additional hard drives.
sorry about answer other day couldnt remeber what usb hub was but i have on i use for calibration and with 2 tb drive it played through hub
post #11 of 35 Old 08-21-2013, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

sorry about answer other day couldnt remeber what usb hub was but i have on i use for calibration and with 2 tb drive it played through hub
Thanks, I'll take that as a confirmation of some level of USB hub compatibility for hard drives.

post #12 of 35 Old 08-21-2013, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by uddup76 View Post

hello

i have the hd720 for few days now and I'm struggling with the gigabit Ethernet port.. any advice would be much appreciated
no matter what i do i cannot get network transfer rate more than 7MB/S
yes all my network setup is gigabit [ switch and router ]
i can copy to my synology nas with rate @ 77MB/S
light on the switch for the hd720 is green which indicate its 1000 Mbps .
if i change the PC Ethernet speed to 100 Mbps the transfer rate go down to 4MB/S if i change it to 1000 Mbps it never exceeded 8MB/S
please help,, any one can tell me the average network copy rate for this player ??
thanks in advance

note:
disabled firewall
disabled antivirus
cables is cat 6 [ also tried cat 5e]
i did reset the player
hdd usb 3.0 copy is 60 MB/S so hdd is fine
tried different switches and router
changed flow rate. jumbo frame , tried the second lan port on PC , you name it

Between network driver issues and lack of processing power for the NIC, most of these cheap players never do better than 11MB/sec or so regardless of the advertised link speed. I'd be surprised if you ever see a firmware update that will address this.

If you can return it, so so ASAP and spend a little more to get either a mede8er, Dune, or PCH player.

Looky here!
post #13 of 35 Old 08-22-2013, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Between network driver issues and lack of processing power for the NIC, most of these cheap players never do better than 11MB/sec or so regardless of the advertised link speed. I'd be surprised if you ever see a firmware update that will address this.

If you can return it, so so ASAP and spend a little more to get either a mede8er, Dune, or PCH player.

Why do you think mede8er is a better solution? or has faster transfer? They both use the same CPU. Are their clockrate different?

post #14 of 35 Old 08-22-2013, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
if you can't go above 8Mb/s over network that means only one possible thing : this is a 100Mb/s product, not a 1Gb/s (and it doesn't have anything to do with CPU clock speed...). Other brands given by robnix are doing better, but even if they advertise 1Gb/s network speed they're far away from the real thing.
post #15 of 35 Old 08-29-2013, 04:55 PM

I've purchased this box and for the life of me can't get xbmc downloaded.

When I go to the web page to download it I can't get it to select it to download because it doesn't have the hyperlink to click on so it skips right over it. I've tried to get the cursor to work so I could scroll over it but haven't been able to accomplish that either. I plugged in my wireless mouse and it moved the cursor for a couple of seconds and then it just disappeared.

What am I missing?
post #16 of 35 Old 08-29-2013, 07:17 PM

Well I finally found a wired mouse that is working but I still can't locate the setting to allow unknown sources.
post #17 of 35 Old 09-03-2013, 03:49 PM

does the kdlinks 680 have usb 3.0 connectivity? that seems to be the coming standard.
post #18 of 35 Old 09-07-2013, 11:06 AM

When I go to the jukebox, I don't see any of my movies? I have 2 3tb WD usb drives hooked up, and they all play perfectly, but I want to use the jukebox feature so I can utilize the info and box art. Also is there any new firmware, I cant seem to find any if they are out.
Thanks, T
post #19 of 35 Old 09-12-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Just wanted to post to say I'm having the same issues with the Ethernet speed as the previous poster. I can get a MAX 10MBps transfer rate. It seems like there's definitely something not right about that.

Edit: Obviously I had a typo there - max I can get is 10 MBps. Thanks to my AVS stalker that found that and pointed it out. tongue.gif
bucwylde23 likes this.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #20 of 35 Old 09-30-2013, 11:32 PM

Their is a firmware update for kdlinks hd720
post #21 of 35 Old 10-12-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anyone e-mail KDLINKS tech support about slow transfer rate?? I'm considering buying this unit but am curious what tech support has to say about the transfer rates people are seeing
post #22 of 35 Old 10-12-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Their is a firmware update for kdlinks hd720
Does the unit notify you onscreen when new firmware is available?
post #23 of 35 Old 10-12-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Anyone e-mail KDLINKS tech support about slow transfer rate?? I'm considering buying this unit but am curious what tech support has to say about the transfer rates people are seeing

I have. They say it's related to the RealTek chip. It's could be valid as other units that use these chips have similar complaints.

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #24 of 35 Old 10-12-2013, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Looks like I need to keep an eye on this. I was just about to order the 720. But looks like 3d my have buffering issues with that slow of a transfer rate...
post #25 of 35 Old 10-13-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post

Looks like I need to keep an eye on this. I was just about to order the 720. But looks like 3d my have buffering issues with that slow of a transfer rate...

Actually streaming something to the unit to watch it would be pretty much impossible with the transfer rate issue. Maybe SD content would be ok, I don't know. I installed a hard drive so I just move things to that over the network.

post #26 of 35 Old 10-13-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

Actually streaming something to the unit to watch it would be pretty much impossible with the transfer rate issue. Maybe SD content would be ok, I don't know. I installed a hard drive so I just move things to that over the network.

10MB/sec is enough for streaming BR and 3D-BR, you need half that at most. If your player has issues streaming BR content there's something else causing the problem.

Looky here!
post #27 of 35 Old 10-14-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

10MB/sec is enough for streaming BR and 3D-BR, you need half that at most. If your player has issues streaming BR content there's something else causing the problem.

Yeah, the problem is the player. According to them the chip is being taxed just moving the data. Actually streaming something to it and watching it proves to be more or less impossible.

post #28 of 35 Old 10-14-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

Yeah, the problem is the player. According to them the chip is being taxed just moving the data. Actually streaming something to it and watching it proves to be more or less impossible.

Interesing they would say that, because mede8er is doing just fine with the same chipset. The transfer rates aren't great but streaming is fine.

Looky here!
post #29 of 35 Old 10-17-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Does the unit notify you onscreen when new firmware is available?
Not that i know of was told through their tech support so i was watching for it
post #30 of 35 Old 10-17-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

They should add auto notify
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Kdlinks Hd720 Extreme Full Hd 1080p 3d Media Player With Internal Hdd Bay Gigabit Network Built In W
Gear in this thread - Hd720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page