Backup Strategies with 6+TB NAS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-14-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My NAS has gradually grown. I started with 2TB Seagate goflex drive. It allows an external drive to plug in directly to it by USB, so that 2nd 2TB was my backup. I've since added two more pairs of drives. That is, I now have three 2TB goflex drives and three 2TB USB drives, one to back up each of the goflex'.

If I were to move to a more sophisticated NAS with RAID, say 12TB, what would be backup options? The obvious is another 12TB NAS, but that would be quite expensive and maybe unwieldy. I could use separate high capacity drives, but I'm backing up something that is seen as a single large drive.

I suppose I could create volumes within the NAS each of which would back up to a single drive.

Maybe there is something obvious here that I'm missing, but what is obvious to me is my ignorance! rolleyes.gif Anyone care to edify?

Thanks!

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-15-2013, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
If moving to a more sophisticated NAS then the need for such an up to date backup system is less, the array you create can have 2-3+ drives acting as fault tolerance to protect the array from failure (e.g. RAID6).

However though your going to spending serious money on any solution like that for a commercial NAS or building a PC server to run FreeNAS.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-15-2013, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

If I were to move to a more sophisticated NAS with RAID, say 12TB, what would be backup options? The obvious is another 12TB NAS, but that would be quite expensive and maybe unwieldy. I could use separate high capacity drives, but I'm backing up something that is seen as a single large drive.

RAID itself is a backup solution, at least as far as a failed disk. It does not protect you from catastrophic failure or accidental deletion though
post #4 of 8 Old 08-15-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

If moving to a more sophisticated NAS then the need for such an up to date backup system is less, the array you create can have 2-3+ drives acting as fault tolerance to protect the array from failure (e.g. RAID6).

However though your going to spending serious money on any solution like that for a commercial NAS or building a PC server to run FreeNAS.

My understanding is that there can still be failure of the whole unit even though you are protected from individual drive failures. I'd love to see some stats though on the likelihood of a total failure. If it is very small, it would still be worth having a backup that is moved offsite and refreshed at least occasionally. This would protect against total failure, fire, theft, etc.

I've done some initial pricing and know what I'm getting into.

post #5 of 8 Old 08-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
RAID definitely isn't a backup solution. It's a redundancy solution. Hence it's name.

Is your data changing often? A lot of people (including myself) use Crash Plan for their offsite backup solution. You can mail them hard drives for the initial upload as well.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #6 of 8 Old 08-15-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll look in to it. Much of the data is static, but the addition of a couple of movies is 10GB+. Seems like a lot to upload. I'm in Alaska and internet costs are a bit more for slower speeds than the rest of the US, I think. I have 512 upload speed and a data cap that keeps my monthly cost below $100. mad.gif

post #7 of 8 Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Yeah I don't know that many people are backing up their movie collections off site. My movies are an acceptable risk in my opinion. For some reason I though you were looking to backup more personal data you didn't want to lose. I had them (my movies) on a RAID5 array and now they are on a FlexRAID array that I am using for testing. If I lose them I wouldn't be that concerned. I do have a couple movies which the discs have since been damaged or lost and I keep those backups off site but that only a couple movies.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #8 of 8 Old 08-15-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

My NAS has gradually grown. I started with 2TB Seagate goflex drive. It allows an external drive to plug in directly to it by USB, so that 2nd 2TB was my backup. I've since added two more pairs of drives. That is, I now have three 2TB goflex drives and three 2TB USB drives, one to back up each of the goflex'.

I suppose I could create volumes within the NAS each of which would back up to a single drive.

Maybe there is something obvious here that I'm missing, but what is obvious to me is my ignorance! rolleyes.gif Anyone care to edify?

Thanks!

My media backups are the my BR and DVD discs that I put in storage once I rip them to my file server. My RTO is ridiculously high, but at least I have a recovery option. I mitigate the chances of having to recover drives by using RAID 6 with a hot spare. My personal backups are sent to offisite server using Spideroak.

Looky here!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page