Smart Panel - Router/Switch/Firewall or other suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-20-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

My wife and I are building a house and setting up a computer room with a "smart panel." All ethernet, phone and cable runs will be tied back to this panel. I am unsure what networking equipment to go with for my needs, I have only dealt with mid-high end consumer grade Wi-Fi routers.

My thought was to have a professional grade router/firewall to split the main ethernet connection from my cable modem and to act as the network hub for the house. I'd go with consumer grade switches in each room to split further. I'd either go with a decent dual band wireless router in the master closet (wireless hub of the house) or maybe multiple mid-grade single band routers w/switch to split.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Connections:

Computer room smart panel - Motorolo SB61B1 w/Comcast 100Mb service | 8 x Cat 5e out to other rooms (need router/switch/firewall)

Computer room other- 3 x Cat 5e w/wall plate (1 computer at each port, 4+ port switch needed on one port)

Master Bedroom - 1 x Cat 5e w/wall plate (4+ port switch needed)

Second Bedroom - 1 x Cat 5e w/wall plate

Livingroom - 1 x Cat 5e w/wall plate (8+ port switch needed)

Kitchen - 1 x Cat 5e w/wall plate (open/wont be used often)

Master Closet - 1 x Cat 5e w/wall plate (Wi-Fi Router)

Thanks for any help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-21-2013, 08:22 AM

Liked: 12
As for which router(s) to buy, check out smallnetbuilder.com:

wired routers
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/ranking/None?rank=6
wireless routers
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/ranking/N900?rank=21

I would buy multiple identical wireless routers and set them up for roaming, depending on how big the house is.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-27-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZmHD69PigQ View Post

As for which router(s) to buy, check out smallnetbuilder.com:

wired routers
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/ranking/None?rank=6
wireless routers
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/ranking/N900?rank=21

I would buy multiple identical wireless routers and set them up for roaming, depending on how big the house is.

Awesome, I will check out the site.

The lot is 50'x100', with the house being about 1500 sqft. I will have the wireless routers in a close towards the middle of the house/lot, as close to the ceiling as possible.

My main concern was picking the right security for my front line. I don't have experience with stand alone firewalls and don't want to go with an unmanaged switch or wireless router/firewall combo right after the cable modem.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-09-2013, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17

I use a Netgear SRX5308. 

It's designed for small/medium business use. Has multiple WAN connections so you can fail over automatically to another/redundant broadband source, VPN tunnel support, Firewall/Universal threat management security, VLAN support, QoS.

I would definitely recommend configuring your network using VLANs from the start. When every room is wired and you have wireless access points all over, you'll find that the number of devices grabbing bandwidth will exceed what your broadband connection can deliver.

You can set up VLANs with priority QoS (quality of service)  so your netflix stream gets the bandwidth it needs, no matter what your kids are doing on-line. 

Also, put your children's computers on a separate VLAN from your computer(s) for extra security  If they visit sites that download mal-ware onto their devices, your network VLAN is not visible from their computers, and the mal-warw can't spread.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page