Help with changes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-21-2013, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to change my HT up a bit. I have lots of questions.

Here is what I currently have and some of the issues I need to fix.

Current system:

HTPC:
CPU: Intel based duo core
Ram: 4 gig
Hard drives: 6 plus terabytes of content (MKV, TS, H.64, AVI, VOB, M2TS, and a few others I probably forget).
Operating system: Windows 7
Software: Media Browser (Chocolate theme), Total media Theater 5
HDMI to Epson 8500ub
Video and Audio run through a Htheater receiver 7.1. Video then goes out to the projector.

I am trying to get my streaming of movie/video content to a better level. I stream to a Ps3, xBox, other computers, a Samsung Blu ray player.

In short..... I get too much lag and buffering that I want a solution for.

For streaming to the Ps3 I use Ps3 Media Server. The Ps3 has its problems with streaming that I can usually get around by lowering the quality I stream to it.

The Samsung blu ray player.... forget about it. Slow, laggy, and no real UI for my ripped movies.

The Xbox.... well it appears the only way I can stream to that is if I rip movies in an XBOX acceptable format

I appreciate any input, or to find someone who has put together a truly working streaming solution that has little to NO lag/buffering.

I have tried PLEX but still get buffering/stutter/lag issues.

I have tried hard wired to a dedicated wireless router/repeater from my HTPC, and then wired to the PS3 and Samsung Blu ray. Hawking HW2r1. It is quite adequate or should be. But no real UI can be had of course. Even hard wired still get stutters on ripped Blu ray movies. I tried PLEX. No real joy.

I need to find a solution for wireless streaming to other rooms from my HTPC. Some upstairs.

Not sure if I would get success using a WDTV box, another computer, Blu ray player or?

Questions:
What is a good box, or Blu ray player that streams well.
Should I start ripping in ISO only format?

Any input is greatly appreciated. What works for you? Is it really working succesfully?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-22-2013, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 592
You've got a lot of reading to do. I would recommend to give up on streaming high bitrate content (blur ray movies) via wireless. It's practically impossible to do, but there are a few out there that have accomplished this, but you'll most likely need better equipment for that.

I do not stream to PS3, XBOX or bluray players with network connectivity. Furthermore, I rip all of my movies as MKV or M2TS formats only, which I've found to be the best to do. I build my own UnRaid server where I store all of my movies / TV Shows. I currently use a Dune Smart Series D1 and a Dune TV303D to stream my movies. I can stream two high bitrate movies at the same time without any lag, which HD sound.

I wired everything at my house with Cat5e and Cat6 ethernet cables. I'm currently testing my Win7 PC + XBMC + HULU / NETFLIX addons. I am thinking of building a HTPC, but so far I haven't been able to get Netflix to work with XBMC. I have to switch to WMC to use it.

Anyway, if you really need to stream wireless, you might be able to use a media server software, Mezzmo, Plex, etc to transcode on the fly, and you might be able to accomplish this. Also, if you want to use the ISO format, you will need to get a media player that can play BD ISO. The new media players do not have this option.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page