looking for a media player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-22-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
currently using a xtreamer pro thats loud, random shutoffs and has tons of audio sync issues.

Looking to buy a media streamer thats in the $100-300ish price range

I like the looks of the KDLINKS HD720 however theres not much info on it online. all positive reviews so i just want to make sure im not getting junk.

I keep hearing about popcorn hour 400 but theres so many bad reviews on amazon, is it safe to get that?

Looking to play avi, mkv. maybe a few dvds with menus. and possibly a 3d blurays.

New player must accept a 3tb hdd in it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-22-2013, 03:37 PM

Liked: 18
http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_product_med1000x3d.html

http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_product_med600x3d.html
post #3 of 15 Old 08-22-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

anything that mnakes the 1000x3d better then the 600x? cause the 600x looks hell of alot better.

Also they are fan less, wont that be a issue? i plan to use a 3tb WD red nas drive in it.
post #4 of 15 Old 08-22-2013, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If you want to use a internal hard drive then your only choice between the MED's is the 1000x3d. I don't use a drive in it so I couldn't tell you, I believe I read someone complaining once but they were using a standard drive and not a red or green.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-22-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

If you want to use a internal hard drive then your only choice between the MED's is the 1000x3d. I don't use a drive in it so I couldn't tell you, I believe I read someone complaining once but they were using a standard drive and not a red or green.

so im looking at the following,

WD TV Live Hub Media Center
popcorn hour a-400
mede8er 1000x3d
&
this one ive never heard of
KDLINKS HD720
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHDSPSM/

my delimas are,
kdlinks hd720 (never heard of the brand, scared it wont las years maybe? and reviews seem fake)
popcorn hour a-400 (horrible reviews on amazon about issues with the software, and fanless like below)
mede8er 1000x3d ( ugly design and fanless, wouldnt my HDD overheat?)
WD TV Live Hub Media Center (never seen it talked about, fanless, not sure if it accepts a 3tb hdd)

I thought about buying this,
Synology DiskStation 2-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS213
+ a cheap media streamer, but i dont think i want to depend on streaming for my files, and would mean i get a cheap / crappy streamer most likely?
post #6 of 15 Old 08-22-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

also looking at dune base 3d, its at the top of my budget though, is it the best?
post #7 of 15 Old 08-22-2013, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by skzzzzy View Post

currently using a xtreamer pro thats loud, random shutoffs and has tons of audio sync issues.

Looking to buy a media streamer thats in the $100-300ish price range

I like the looks of the KDLINKS HD720 however theres not much info on it online. all positive reviews so i just want to make sure im not getting junk.

I keep hearing about popcorn hour 400 but theres so many bad reviews on amazon, is it safe to get that?

Looking to play avi, mkv. maybe a few dvds with menus. and possibly a 3d blurays.

New player must accept a 3tb hdd in it

I'd skip the KDLinks for the other players. KDLinks has ONE firmware out and state on their website they think it's stable enough.

Mede8er, Dune, and PCH have been updating their firmware regularly and will continue to add features with further updates.

Looky here!
post #8 of 15 Old 08-23-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

I just purchased a Synology DS213 instead,
Im going to try just using that straight to my samsung f8000 smart tv. If that doesnt work ill ty something else. Atleast my choices will widen since ill no longer require one with a hdd bay.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 AM

Also looking for a new media player. Would like to stay in the $100 region. Just need a solid & fast player that plays it all.

I am looking at the above models.
I have been using the WDTV SMPs & Live+'s. Would like something faster and that supports DTSMA.

What about the Micca EP600? Anyone have any experience?

Dedicated 5370 sqft Theater for Movies, Music and Gaming.
Sony VPL-VW60 @ 110"
Denon AVR-4308CI
Miller & Kreisel (M&K) S-150 7.1
post #10 of 15 Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 AM

Long Time Listener here. Just wanted to chime in 'case you or others are still considering a KDLINKS HD720:

Thumbs up. Bought one two weeks ago, and after heavy use and torture testing I still like it a whole lot.

[Other media players used daily over the past few years are WD TV Live, Asus O!Play, AppleTV, Sony SMP-N200, Playstation 3. A Buffalo LinkStation (Pro LS-XHL) hosts my network drives. I will discount my GoogleTV boxes and Android 4 HDMI sticks as toys. The built-in apps and media-playing features in my Sony and Samsung TVs and Blu Ray players are nice to have but slow or not capable enough. Major fault in ALL is unsupported or crippled format support (no mkv, no FF or rewind for x264, etc). Definitely NOT going to run PLEX nor any PC server to deliver or transcode video, that's no option].

Strongly considered but did not buy a mede8er med1000X3D specifically because they do not sell via Amazon. Also found the UFO shape ugly and the fan-less "feature" concerning. Dune's confusing product line just seems boutique and esoteric, besides being pricey, also no Amazon (ease of purchase and liberal return policy a strong selling point to me). Sigma chipset who cares. Also looked at the Pivos AIOS. And the Micca boxes (EP350 and 950). Resigned that there IS NO one best Media Player and Streaming Player in one. Roku 3 boxes handle my premium online content (Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/Vudu).

Agreed that the KDLINKS reviews seem fake. ARE fake. Part of their marketing strategy seems to have been spamming the entire Internet with bogus promo websites. Was and still am very put off by that. Even their own website has a Chinese reseller stink to it (a Soy Milk Maker on your home page? Seriously?).

Unclear how the relatively new HD720 differs internally from last year's HD700 besides having the drive bay. Is the OS and firmware faster? No idea. I chose the HD720 anyway despite its larger size for the better (and blue) front display. Another twenty bucks ($159 versus $139 for the 700) was cheap enough for the HD bay although that was not a selling point. Adding an external drive or three or simply using a NAS are more than viable options; an internal HD seemed superfluous to me. But it's got one now (3TB WD Red) and is nice enough to have. That it serves as yet another network drive on my LAN is fine. It's quiet enough that I do not hear or notice it running.

Likes: Bulletproof never-crash performance. Fast and responsive. Unit also functions as a very capable NAS and external USB3 drive. Latest generation Realtek 1186 3D chipset (despite that I will never use it for 3D playback nor Blu Ray content ever). The Youtube app is capable and attractive (and of real interest since very nice full-length HD content is become more available on there daily). Web browser. Quality of video as upscaled or native 1080p is indistinguishable when compared to even the Playstation's best of class decoding and delivery. Certainly equal to or better than any other device I own including AppleTV.
Dislikes: Silly bright Power button on front. Remote's not backlit. Remote buttons are "clicky" and loud (mede8er remotes appear to have a serious advantage here). Screen backgrounds and icons are very dated with a lame '90s appearance.
Things I Don't Care About: The whole visual movie database video wall thing. NOT trying to impress myself with movie DVD cover art and descriptions: Zero interest in some XBMC type library front end or creating and maintaining one. An easy to navigate, easy to read, plain vanilla directory listing's fine for me.
Best Feature: Nothing it cannot play. Every file format. And with all expected capabilities (FF/reverse, seeking, last location, etc.) intact.

So: I like the HDLINKS HD720, would buy one again.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-29-2013, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I've owned the following media players: WDTV2, Popcorn Hour A210 and A300, Mede8er MED500X2, Pivos AIOS, Dune Smart Series D1 and Dune TV303D. I am currently using Dune D1 and TV303D. The Popcorn A300 was returned after a week of ownership. It was probably the worse media player I've own. The PCH-A400 has had many updates, and it is working much better than the A300. The PCH-A210 was solid. The only reason why I sold it was due to firmware update were horrible. Popcorn hours has the worse firmware updates. If it doesn't fix it, it will brake everything. I got tire of it and sold it.

The WDTV2 is a nice all in one player, but some files work great and other files do not work at all. It was too unpredictable for me. The Mede8er was an awesome media player, but the jukebox was difficult to edit. The newer Mede9ers are better, but I still don't like the jukebox. You need two different programs, one for more and the other for TV shows.

The Pivos AIOS was a very inexpensive media player, which played all of my files without any issues. However, the remote is horrible. It is very unresponsive, and it was just plain horrible. My wife hated it. It has a juekbox, but it was a PIA to set up.

So, I am using Dune D1 and TV303D. I wish I had bought a second Dune smart series media player. In my opinion, they are the best 2D media players out there. I'm also using the following jukeboxes: Zappiti, Yadis and 10Muse. Zappiti is simple and easy to use, but lately I've been getting annoyed with it since it won't remember, which movies I've watched or not watched, and other little issues. Yadis is a great jukebox, it is easy to use, and it has many free skins. However, my wife, kids and I hate how it handles TV shows.

In the last 2 days, I've been setting up 10Muse jukebox for the Dune and iPad. It was a little bit difficult learning how to set it up, but once you do it once, it gets easier. I love the iPad app / jukebox, which also serves as a remote control for the Dune. I am currently using the free app version, but I will be buying the $19.99 app as well. I will be making the switch to 10Muse jukebox. In my opinion and short experience with it, I've concluded that it is the best jukebox for the Dune / iPad. Furthermore, their support is excellent.

Dune + 10Muse = Awesomeness. However, if you want an easy and simple jukebox to use, Zappiti is hard to beat. They also have an iPad app. So, my recommendation, if you want an excellent 2D media player, I would go with the Dune Smart Series. If that is too expensive for you, I would go with Mede8er. Even though, I hate their jukebox, they are the next best 2D and 3D media player.
minivanhalen likes this.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #12 of 15 Old 08-29-2013, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
agreed with gusgus' last paragraph. 2D = Smart (if you can find one and pay the price), 3D = mede8er 600/800/1000x3D. For Mede8er their latest V3 firmware added an automated jukebox for both TV shows and movies (their ipad App is already working very well since the last firmware V2). First returns from users seems quite positive, almost enthusiastic I would say...
post #13 of 15 Old 08-29-2013, 02:45 PM

minivanhalen said
............................................... Remote buttons are "clicky" and loud

I have the KDLinks 680 and like it very much. I'm not really a "power user" so I won't get into reviewing it, but there is a setting to adjust the loudness of the remote click, or to turn it off entirely.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-29-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmgren View Post

minivanhalen said
............................................... Remote buttons are "clicky" and loud

I have the KDLinks 680 and like it very much. I'm not really a "power user" so I won't get into reviewing it, but there is a setting to adjust the loudness of the remote click, or to turn it off entirely.

No no I mean the remote itself, not a click coming from the OS through the speakers (I don't even know of such an option). The 720 remote has this big round center disc set of 5 buttons. When you click 'em, it's literally like clicking one of those metal noisemakers. This wakes my wife and she hits me with a pillow. Considering a Logitech Harmony to replace it.

You guys still talking up Dune has me second guessing. Found a U.S. seller...

http://www.duneplayer.com/dune-hd-smart-series/smart-d1.html

...$380 w/ shipping and can't show the remote? Wut? And why not just buy the newer (and in stock) Zappiti Player for less?, is that just an HD Base 30 anyway? Weird.

Anyhow: Still can't see where a $225 mede8er med1000x3D with no front display has a $66 advantage over the $159 KDLINKS HD720. A nicer remote maybe. These Chinese Realtek boxes, I hope someone comes out with customizable super firmware for these like they used to do with SVCD/DIVX DVD players way back when.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-30-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by minivanhalen View Post

No no I mean the remote itself, not a click coming from the OS through the speakers (I don't even know of such an option). The 720 remote has this big round center disc set of 5 buttons. When you click 'em, it's literally like clicking one of those metal noisemakers. This wakes my wife and she hits me with a pillow. Considering a Logitech Harmony to replace it.

You guys still talking up Dune has me second guessing. Found a U.S. seller...

http://www.duneplayer.com/dune-hd-smart-series/smart-d1.html

...$380 w/ shipping and can't show the remote? Wut? And why not just buy the newer (and in stock) Zappiti Player for less?, is that just an HD Base 30 anyway? Weird.

Anyhow: Still can't see where a $225 mede8er med1000x3D with no front display has a $66 advantage over the $159 KDLINKS HD720. A nicer remote maybe. These Chinese Realtek boxes, I hope someone comes out with customizable super firmware for these like they used to do with SVCD/DIVX DVD players way back when.

I own two Dune Media players, and the remote are interchangeable. They do not make any metal sound. The Dune Smart Series are probably the best 2D media players out there, which also support BD ISO's with full menus. The newer Dune Media Player do not support BD ISO's with full menus anymore, and I don't believe any of the new media players do due to Cinavia and licensing issues.

You do not need a front display to control a media player. Hell, I've got a Dune D1, which has a front display and it is worthless. I either use the TV or my iPad + 10Muse to control it.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List