Enjoy your music on a Dune with Dune Music Manager (DMM) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 247 Old 08-23-2013, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi everyone,

I wanted to introduce a program I created to build a music jukebox for Dune-HD devices. It’s been around for few months and went through a couple of release iterations already. People tested it successfully on databases of ~20000 titles.

It is called Dune Music Manager (DMM) and it comes packed with great features, amongst which
  • Very fast library scanning and jukebox exporting (count in minutes not hours for a multi thousands tracks library).
  • Detection and priority given to local images for covers, backgrounds and artist pictures
  • Scan internet, on user request, to get images and artists sort names
  • Manual search of images using last.fm, fanart.tv, google or local hard disks
  • Full WYSIWYG editor to simply change the template to apply to your layout. Lot of options to modify any page and to decide what to export
  • Possibility to export only a selection of artists and/or genres
  • Incremental and full export. Database rescan after modification
  • Interactive preview on PC of the created jukebox
  • DMC compatibility to access the DMM menu from an android device even without switching the TV ON (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=babachan.android.dunemediacontroller&hl=en).
  • Playlists of: an album, an artist, a genre, with and without images. Using images you can have gapless playback of your tracks.

Video to see DMM in action: http://youtu.be/O46B0sE97yk
Some Screenshots

Download site (program, screenshots and ppt/pdf user manual): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4iojcaq6drtgky8/DGlQti-F0Y/Dune_Music_Manager
How to install: simply unzip "DuneMusicManager 1.2.2.zip" in the folder of your choice and run the program "DuneMusicManager 1.2.2.exe"
Requirements: PC under windows (XP or above) with .NET framework 3.5 client

I encourage you to first have a look at the short user manual to get familiar with DMM. The pack includes 3 templates. There is a simple default one I created and two very cool ones : tightrope_02 from tightrope and MusicScope from Mr Eric. You can use the built-in editor to modify the built-in templates to your taste or create a new template from scratch or starting from an existing one.

A web site for DMM will be up soon (I hope)
Al
travanx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 247 Old 08-23-2013, 12:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
DMM is great (not saying this because otreblaelasac is french too biggrin.gif ) , i would recommend anyone looking for a dune music jukebox to test it and use it !

for those who want a little bit more customization you can also use this complete set of genres (319 genres) :
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fviirrr1bntilqk/Genres.zip

just replace the ones you will find in \DuneMusicManager 1.2.2\MyMusic\Genres

I didn't do it, all credits goes to tikuf on the mediabrowser forum http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/14041/glow-music-tv-genre-images , I just renamed it to be compatible with DMM.

Check his posts over there, there are other layout he did that can be used with DMM if your rename it correctly (using bulk renamer it's a 10s job for 300 files)

I will try to make another template soon (certainly based on my Tribute template for yadis).
post #3 of 247 Old 08-23-2013, 01:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Interesting, I will definitely take a crack at as time permits!!!

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #4 of 247 Old 08-23-2013, 03:32 AM

Liked: 18
I've already tried this through MPC Club, a few months back. It's very buggy. Good Luck.
post #5 of 247 Old 08-23-2013, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

new version is miles away from the old one wink.gif
post #6 of 247 Old 08-23-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Al,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the valiant effort.

I had given up using my Dune for music, and have been using a NeoTV-550 instead. I have tried other music jukeboxes for the Dune, and they have all come up short. I have downloaded your program and will give it a try later today. The screen-shots look impressive.

I have a question: How did you get "gapless" to work? I've spent countless hours trying. I have heard of the trick of putting a "folder.jpg" file in the folder with the album, but that didn't help for my Dune (and I don't see how it would). My music library already had "folder.jpg" files in each folder.

I will report back once I've given it a few spins around the block. Thanks again.
post #7 of 247 Old 08-23-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hi there,

putting a folder.jpg in the folder with the album per se isn't enough. You need to ask the Dune to show pictures while playing music. If music=more than 1 track then you get what you want.
The folder.jpg trick would work if you ask the Dune to [PLAY] the album folder because it will find in there both pictures and music. Try to navigate within your music library folders with the RC. Once on an album folder hit the [PLAY] instead of [ENTER]. You'll be asked if you want to show pictures, play songs or both. Choose both.

Now, DMM creates playlists (m3u files) at 3 levels : album, artist, genre. In the generated UI, you'll have a "play all" button at those 3 level to trigger the playlists. You can also use [PLAY] on album cover, artist picture or genre icon and you'll get the same result.

DMM let you also decide (Home page of the template) if you want the playlists to have images. In that case DMM will include in the m3u references to the images (album covers). This way you'll play the "gapless" playlist at the price of being annoyed by dune popup.

Very much interested in your feedback after your tests
Al
post #8 of 247 Old 08-24-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I don't use the Dunes for music, but I'll give it a try. Is there anyway to control it with iOS devices? DMC is only for android.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #9 of 247 Old 08-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
PlugPlayer is a DMC for iOS.
post #10 of 247 Old 08-24-2013, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Otreblaelasac, can the DMM be used as a standard DMS, or is it just for Dune players?
post #11 of 247 Old 08-24-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Cebolla,

interesting point.
DMM music database and image searching are fully independent from any device. Nothing is Dune specific there.
However, today DMM output is fully Dune dependent. It creates backgrounds, icons, directories and dune_folder.txt files to enjoy the jukebox on a dune-hd. The preview is also, of course, dune-specific since based on reading/displaying DMM output.

In theory, as it is a fully isolated function, export/preview adapters could be written for other devices. Issue is that I only have a dune and have no clue how other devices work.
Tell me how other devices usually display jukeboxes and I'll think about how it could be done. It could be a folder with all the graphical resources and a xml file

Al
post #12 of 247 Old 08-24-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post

PlugPlayer is a DMC for iOS.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #13 of 247 Old 08-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

hi guys,

new version of MusicScope including CD cover on fanart

Download here : http://www.mediafire.com/download/58cin5ze8g8qe1w/MusicScope_(with_CD_cover).zip

you will need the latest 1.2.4 version to use it https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4iojcaq6drtgky8/CoTV5NFsU1/DMM_Music_Beta

otreblaelasac is going too fast on version revision to post here biggrin.gif
post #14 of 247 Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Actually you don't need 1.2.4 to have the feature working (is already in 1.2.3 AFAIR) but the final 1.2.4 is just a couple of days away.
Therefore you could either give a try to the new template with the 1.2.3 or wait a couple of more days and start with a fresh 1.2.4 which will include the 2 variants of Mr Eric MusicScope (with and without cover)

I'd not recommend you to spend time on the current 1.2.4 beta smile.gif
I promise, I'll slow down with the release pace
post #15 of 247 Old 08-27-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess I'll wait for the final release. Don't worry how fast you are releasing new updates. That's good. The bad part would be to become like Dune, which releases an update every decade.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #16 of 247 Old 08-27-2013, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
otreblaelasac, plenty of people seem to disagree with me on this, but something that I think would be nice, would be the ability to be removable media aware.
post #17 of 247 Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Could you elaborate? Not sure I fully understand what do you mean with "removable media aware"
post #18 of 247 Old 08-27-2013, 12:37 PM

Many tools expect that the content available to the dune is relatively static, i.e. it sits in one place (or perhaps even multiple places), but it doesn't get added or removed. so they create one set of dune_folders.txt that uses all that media (And regenerate when content does get added, but the locations are static)

removable media aware to me is to realize that a specific share might exist independently from every other share and should have its own dune_folders.txt hierarchy with everythign relative to that share. so if I have a usb key with music (or a HD), i'd be able to launch the DMM "app" (quotes on purpose) that is stored on that device and it will only have that device's contents.

a little tired so perhaps being unclear.
post #19 of 247 Old 08-27-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well, in DMM you could have a usb stick with a music library and its menu, while another usb has a completely different sets (media, menu, look & feel). That does fulfill your need, does it not ?
This is as easy as ceeating 2 menus
post #20 of 247 Old 08-27-2013, 12:59 PM

yes. then it does (and then, please expand your tool to be movie and tv show aware, nothing does seasons well when one just wants to store the original disc)

the problem for most tools (say zappiti) is that it keeps a single db store and always writes out that signle db store.
post #21 of 247 Old 08-27-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Now I realise. You started a discussion on this topic on the Zappiti forum. Actually I replied to your post there (http://www.zappitiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=548#p1971). The first program I wrote , called also DMM by lack of imagination (stands for Dune Menu Manager) could probably do most of what you want already (but I'd need to better understand your requirements).

I'd like to keep this thread focused on Dune Music Manager, therefore I encourage you to continue the discussion on Zappiti forum or MPCC (http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31430 and http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31551).

My Dune Menu Manager program (I definitely need to change its name smile.gif ), would need a serious update of the UI but it does a lot of things including, for your objective, copying a set of pages of an existing jukebox (say Zappiti) to create a fully independent set of menu (with all graphical resources) which still points to the original locations for the movies (movies aren't copied). You could then scrape with Zappiti in the usual way and use my program to have a menu for a specific subset of your db (eg. a TV serie) on a USB stick.

Al
post #22 of 247 Old 08-30-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Here we are !
1.2.4 is ready for download @ https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4iojcaq6drtgky8/DGlQti-F0Y/Dune_Music_Manager

Changes:
  • A brand new logo (a big thank to tightrope for his precious help!)
  • revised menu configuration dialog/wizard
  • possibility to use a background.jpg in the album folder of your library as background for the album. Same behavior as for album covers
  • several minor UI improvements for convenience, consistency and speed
  • option in the file DuneMusicManager_Options.xml to start from a given view: Artists, Albums or Genres
  • In the search images tool, when looking at artists, right-click on a retrieved image (bottom pane) to define it as as artist picture or background for an artist and (optionally) all his/her albums
  • In the main window, artists view, Right-click on an artist background to remove custom background for the artist and (optionally) all his/her albums
  • Two new templates from Mr Eric: MusicScope with a CD cover framing the album cover art and Tribute
  • fixed bug about losing custom images after db modification and rescan
  • other bugs fixing

What next? (not necessarily all in the next one)
  • Localisation to adapt UI to other languages
  • Improved artist recognition accuracy for better image scraping
  • Search Images tool
    • Crop from source to avoid DMM cutting heads wink.gif
    • Sort result by size
    • (may be) minimum size to retrieve to avoid to get back too much “noise”
  • Playlists ?

I hope that the improvements in this release are more than the new bugs I might have introduced :-).
Do not hesitate to post or send me via PM any issue, bug or request for improvement.
Enjoy DMM
Al
tightrope likes this.
post #23 of 247 Old 09-01-2013, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

A little update, after the first feedbacks.

In the initial menu setup dialogues do not use UNC (\\server\share), they are not supported in 1.2.4. Map instead your UNC to a virtual PC drive (e.g. Z:\) and use the mapped drive folder.
Some combinations also have some misbehavior (namely if Menu and Library are on the same disk). Therefore ALWAYS check the proposed dune path and edit it if needed

I'll post soon a corrective release for the above points (UNC, etc.). I'll also add the feature of being able to crop images directly from the retrieved original pictures to be in full control of the cropped parts. Of course if you find more bugs I'll put the fixes as well to avoid spamming you with multiple 1.2.x.y.z releases

Stay tuned
Al
post #24 of 247 Old 09-02-2013, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

So here's a new version of MusicScope template with larger cd cover and artist picture : http://www.mediafire.com/download/e18s22nied38m53/MusicScope_(with_larger_CD_Cover).zip

this file includes a xcf source (open with The Gimp) of the mask_artist overlay so you can play a bit with it if you want.

If you want to use MusicScope with the normal menus, just replace the backgrounds in the default template by the ones included in the MusicScope release, then move the elements so it fits in (you can just write down the x/y and W/H for each elements in MusicScope and use it in the default template).
post #25 of 247 Old 09-06-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got the tool and played with it to understand the functionality. I ordered Western digital 2tb live drive which supports SMB and NFS. I read that NFS better performs with Dune. When I create menu, it is asking the following

Menu folder
music scan folder
Dune Path to music folder

I am assuming that music scan folder and Dune path to music folder should be same containing music files with different protocol. Do I need to map the drive from NAS on PC where DMM is installed and specify the value as music scan folder? I assume that dune path will point to same thing but with NFS URL.

After exporting do I need to copy exported directory to Dune partition on system storage? I guess other option is to copy this exported directory to Android tablet and use DMC to point to it. Let me know if it makes sense..
post #26 of 247 Old 09-06-2013, 01:41 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

I got the tool and played with it to understand the functionality. I ordered Western digital 2tb live drive which supports SMB and NFS. I read that NFS better performs with Dune. When I create menu, it is asking the following

Menu folder
music scan folder
Dune Path to music folder

I am assuming that music scan folder and Dune path to music folder should be same containing music files with different protocol. Do I need to map the drive from NAS on PC where DMM is installed and specify the value as music scan folder? I assume that dune path will point to same thing but with NFS URL.

After exporting do I need to copy exported directory to Dune partition on system storage? I guess other option is to copy this exported directory to Android tablet and use DMC to point to it. Let me know if it makes sense..

You'll need to setup a shared folder to your music library.

Menu Folder = Whatever you want to name the current menu of your Library (ie; My Music).
Music Scan Folder = Shared Music Folder (via NFS or SMB).
Dune Path = Export Data Path to your Dune Player, to store pertinent library data - USB drive, internal storage to DUNE player.
post #27 of 247 Old 09-06-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Let see

Assume you create a menu giving it the name MyMenu

Menu folder = the folder where DMM will create the exported tree of pages. You'll find in this folder a folder called MyMenu . This folder can be
  • on the PC running DMM. You'll then copy it to a USB disk/stick and connect it to the dune
  • directly on a Dune connected storage (internal or external). After creation the Dune can immediately use it
music scan folder = where is your music library. In the simplest case this is a place accessible both by the PC and the Dune
Dune path to music folder = this is the same thing as in programs like Zappiti or Yadis. It is not another location, it is just the path the Dune can understand to access the Music folder. Can be an
  • an absolute path : /path
  • storage_label://DRIVE_Label/path
  • smb://Server/share/path (optionally with "login:password@" before server IP or name
  • nfs://server:/mount:/path

A couple of examples
  1. You have a USB disk (volume label seen in the windows explorer = USBHD) or stick attached to your PC as the D: drive. It contains the music under D:\Music. You want to create everything on this disk that you then connect to the dune. You can e.g.
    • Menu name=MyMenu
    • Menu folder=D:\DMM
    • Music scan folder=D:\Music
    • Dune path to music folder: /Music or storage_label://USBHD
  2. You have a NAS (It could be your be Western digital 2tb) at IP=192.168.1.100 that both the PC and Dune can see. It is share with SMB directly from the root. It is mapped to drive Z:\ in your PC. You created on Z:\ a folder called DMM your music is under Z:\Music
    • Menu name=MyMenu
    • Menu folder=Z:\DMM
    • Music scan folder=Z:\Music
    • Dune path to music folder: smb://192.168.1.100
Currently DMM 1.2.4 has a limitation and needs your network resources to be mapped as drives in your PC. The next one (in week time or so, will accept directly network paths (UNC) like \\Server\share\folder.

Any issue drop me a PM and I'll guide you through the setup
Al
post #28 of 247 Old 09-08-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by otreblaelasac View Post

Let see

Assume you create a menu giving it the name MyMenu

Menu folder = the folder where DMM will create the exported tree of pages. You'll find in this folder a folder called MyMenu . This folder can be
  • on the PC running DMM. You'll then copy it to a USB disk/stick and connect it to the dune
  • directly on a Dune connected storage (internal or external). After creation the Dune can immediately use it
music scan folder = where is your music library. In the simplest case this is a place accessible both by the PC and the Dune
Dune path to music folder = this is the same thing as in programs like Zappiti or Yadis. It is not another location, it is just the path the Dune can understand to access the Music folder. Can be an
  • an absolute path : /path
  • storage_label://DRIVE_Label/path
  • smb://Server/share/path (optionally with "login:password@" before server IP or name
  • nfs://server;/mount:/path

Thanks for the detailed reply. I am getting Western digital live NAS next week. I am excited to use NAS first time. This is my temporary NAS before moving to 8 bay or more synology. I will copy my flac files to NAS and generate index in NAS itself and will test it. I will use NFS as I heard this is better than SMB. I might need your help on using DMM with DMC.
post #29 of 247 Old 09-08-2013, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

No problem, I will. The new, improved, DMM version should be also ready this week.

A couple of things
Quote:
I guess other option is to copy this exported directory to Android tablet and use DMC to point to it
DMC does not need to have anything stored on the tablet, it fetches everything it needs directly from the source using SMB protocol
Quote:
I will use NFS as I heard this is better than SMB
I have a Synology NAS. I did configure it in NFS to play movies with Zappiti. It actually made a difference in startup time for divX movies, not that much for mp4. It is not strictly necessary as SMB is actually fine and for music there won't be any problem unless you get the menu on one SMB share and the music on another (Dune limitation on having 2 active SMB shares).
Al
post #30 of 247 Old 09-17-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Hi there,
Here I am again with an updated version which brings several interesting improvements

Here is a short video showing some of 1.2.6 new stuff

here a couple of screenshots

Build (1.2.6.3) and updated (english) manual at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4iojcaq6drtgky8/DGlQti-F0Y/Dune_Music_Manager

New Features
  • Multilanguage support. In the pack there are English and French. Additional languages will be available from the same location as xml files to add to your installation directory
  • Redesigned Search Images tool. Much faster, much more effective (1-click search on multiple sites). Possibility to sort images by size
  • Possibility to crop directly from Image viewer of the original image (crop the image than right click to get the context menu)
  • Templates
    • Editing more robust (not 100% perfect but better). First select the zone than act upon it
    • Full screen mode
    • Keyboard shortcuts to move & resize zones (explained in the doc)
  • In Genres view in the main screen : right click on a genre to decide to show Albums or Artists
  • Related to the above, in the Genres page of the template you can decide to have for a genre all the Albums or all the Artists
  • Support for UNC (\\server\path) in the menu configuration

Several bugs fixing
  • Duplicated albums
  • DMC compatibility (was broken in 1.2.4)
  • Files Too Long message (if there are folders/files with fully qualified path longer than 260 chars, DMM will tell you and skip the files (but will continue)
  • Menu Configuration hanging when using some paths
  • Tracks Formats are now recognized based on file extension (translation dictionary in DuneMusicManager_Options.xml file)
  • Scraping of images more reliable than before

How to install it?
  • Simply download DuneMusicManager 1.2.6.3.zip and DMM 1.2.6_EN.pdf
  • Unzip the program in a folder of your choice
  • Read the manual
  • Run DuneMusicManager 1.2.6.3.exe

How to upgrade from a previous version?
  • Do a fresh installation in a new folder. Do not delete your previous DMM folder
  • Copy from the previous DMM folder MyMusic\Backgrounds, MyMusic\Covers and MyMusic\Pictures in the new installation directory
  • Run the new program
  • Recreate your menu (DMM will scan again the same library and finds your custom images)
  • Do a full export

What next ?

I plan to add the following (Yadis inspired, thx Mr Eric) feature: "Selections"
  • A new button could be added to the home page giving access to a wall of user defined selections.
  • A selection could be
    • (a) a collection of Artists and/or Albums and/or Genres
    • (b) a playlist
  • A selection will have
    • a name
    • an image
    • a (optional) background
  • Choosing a selection, you'll see either a wall with its elements (type (a)) or a page similar to current album page for a playlist. In both cases there will be the option of [Play All]
  • There will be a dedicated window to create and manage Selections
  • Possibly you could also import playlists if they references songs in the same music library

Any comment or other ideas ?
Al
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Netgear Ntv550
Gear in this thread