Please Help Me Find the Best Solution for Streaming My Movie Library - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-25-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I currently have a movie library saved on my desktop in mkv files. I have my desktop hooked up to my TV with a long HDMI cable and that's how I play them. I've been wanting to implement a better solution for a while (would like to get rid of the desktop) but every time I look into it I get overwhelmed with the options.

I would like a solution that enables me to put the content in a central location that can be streamed to tvs in different rooms. So I'm thinking I should get a NAS and move my library there. Does that make sense? That's about as far as I've figured it out.

I struggle with figuring out how to stream the content to my tvs. Do I buy a media plaer/streamer like the WD TV Live? Can I use my smart tvs and smart blu ray players and stream the content over DNLA or Plex or Synology Video Station? If so what's the difference between those options?

I appreciate any advice to point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-26-2013, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
a NAS is indeed the best solution to achieve what you want to do i.e. centralizing all your movies in one place to be streamed across your home.

then you have 2 different possibilities to play it :
1. using your TVs and not buying anything else : if it's a smart TV with a DLNA client, you will have to find a NAS powerfull enough to use Plex as DLNA/upnp streamer that will be installed in your NAS. DLNA is limited in terms of file compatibility. Plex makes it possible to stream many file format to any DLNA products (smart TV, Playstation, xbox, BR player, tablets,...)
2. use a dedicated media player (WDTV Live being one of them), model will depend on what type of files you want to watch (SD/HD, audio HD, 2D/3D, ...). you will have to buy one player per TV. It's more expensive but results can be better than using plex (or the syno app) on your NAS.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-26-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your reply.

What players would you recomend in the sub-$100 price range? Is the WD Live one of the best options or should I consider something else? I'd just need normal HD. No 3d or audio hd content.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Then WD live should be ok for what you need.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page