Will a Ceton Echo work for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-30-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
First, Sorry if this has already been covered, I've been trying to search through the forum for some help on this. I found a few threads about it, but there are over 140 pages, and most if it doesn't apply. So I figured I'd just ask the questions.

I currently have a Windows 7 HTPC setup in my theater. I'd like to have the same interface/setup on the tv upstairs.
I use a HD Homerun prime for the tv signal. I also use Media Browser (Which I love by the way!) to browse my movie collection and My Channel Logos for the TV Channel guide.

I was considering building an entire new PC for upstairs and just share the libraries. As I added up the cost, I found it to be around $400.

I've seen the Ceton Echo advertised that it can be setup as a media extender off the main HTPC for less than half of building a pc.

So here are my requirements or questions.

1. Must be able to view HD Homerun prime tv signal.
2. Must be able to DVR back to the main HTPC and be read by both devices.
3. Must be able to extend the Media browser interface.
4. Must be able to play mpg, avi, mkv etc movies.
5. Must be able to use the My Logo's channel Icons.

So my qeustion is, will the Ceton Echo do all that I want? or am I stuck with building a seperate HTPC and sharing drives?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-30-2013, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendermandan View Post

First, Sorry if this has already been covered, I've been trying to search through the forum for some help on this. I found a few threads about it, but there are over 140 pages, and most if it doesn't apply. So I figured I'd just ask the questions.

I currently have a Windows 7 HTPC setup in my theater. I'd like to have the same interface/setup on the tv upstairs.
I use a HD Homerun prime for the tv signal. I also use Media Browser (Which I love by the way!) to browse my movie collection and My Channel Logos for the TV Channel guide.

I was considering building an entire new PC for upstairs and just share the libraries. As I added up the cost, I found it to be around $400.

I've seen the Ceton Echo advertised that it can be setup as a media extender off the main HTPC for less than half of building a pc.

So here are my requirements or questions.

1. Must be able to view HD Homerun prime tv signal.
2. Must be able to DVR back to the main HTPC and be read by both devices.
3. Must be able to extend the Media browser interface.
4. Must be able to play mpg, avi, mkv etc movies.
5. Must be able to use the My Logo's channel Icons.

So my qeustion is, will the Ceton Echo do all that I want? or am I stuck with building a seperate HTPC and sharing drives?

Thanks.

It can be used for DVR, but as for playing back your existing movie collection, it is extremely limited in what it can play, largely due to the limitations of the extender protocols used by WMC. They also just announced a few hours ago that the planned Android upgrade for it (which would have provided fantastic media playback comparable to stand-alone system, among other things) has been cancelled. If you're looking to replicate the experience you have on your main HTPC, you'll be disappointed in the Echo.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Actually kind of curious, why not build some cheap HTPC in place of the Echo? you can get pretty close to $200 and I don't see any limitations. Or am I missing something? The reason why I asked is the HDHR Prime has interested me for some time and still researching but have narrowed it down to this.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-30-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraZtiK View Post

Actually kind of curious, why not build some cheap HTPC in place of the Echo? you can get pretty close to $200 and I don't see any limitations. Or am I missing something? The reason why I asked is the HDHR Prime has interested me for some time and still researching but have narrowed it down to this.

If you don't mine, what kind of HTPC are you referring to for around $200. An OEM copy of windows 7 is $90 by itself.
Then you have a Motherboard, CPU, Ram, PSU, Case to buy. -I have a drive already I can use. I figured the cheapest I could do it was for about $400.

By the way, the Prime works great!!! Took about 3 different cards from the cable company to get it going, but that is not the primes fault.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-31-2013, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I currently have some copies of win 7 when I decided to run linuxmint for my desktops\laptops. So in my initial post I was thinking more about me but forgot to factor in the "you" smile.gif But, Lets see what we can do.

Keep in mind we just want to build a base system to compare with the Echo that will support the same or similar playback formats.

CPU - Intel G61610 $50
MB - Asrock H61MV-ITX $60
Ram - G.Skill $38
Case - XON720P $40
Hard drive - 250GB $55
=$243

You can cut the case price in half but I splurged. smile.gif And if you have any harddrives laying around even better just subtract from the price. I have about 10 myself.
CD/DVD Drive is not necessary but you may have one around used to install windows but you should be able to install via USB. And of course you'll need windows 7.

I don't see why the above will not support all that your hoping for and its not closed. you can install/use it for much more.

I've read around that at idle the above should consume about 5-7W.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page