WD TV Live and External Hard Drives - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My apologies if this has been dealt with, ad naseum, but solutions seem hard to come by.

I cannot get my WDTV Live to read from the Portable Hard Drive from my laptop. The portable drive is powered by a dual USB so cannot be connected directly to the module. The module can read from the laptop quite effortlessly and media plays freely from the local hard drive. Nothing on the portable is available.

My setup:

WD TV Live wired to DIR-615 DLink Router;
Laptop (running Vista...don't laugh) connects to Network via wireless connection;
Portable Hard Drive connects to Laptop via USB "Y" connection

This setup plays video and music and displays pictures that reside on the local harddrive. Nothing that is on the portable (which is the bulk of the media).

Fixes attempted:
Share the root directory of the Portable HDD:
Creation of user accounts with broad spectrum permissions (as shown on one website/youtube video):
Chkdsk search of both local and portable HDD (as read in this forum):
Ejection and re-insertion of devices in hopes that ejection will spawn a connection:
Deletion of the .wd_tv folder (Idem as the Portable HDD could not be read directly, this folder did not appear. I did however copy the folder ,from a USB Stick that was connected directly to the WDTV module, and placed in the root directory of the Portable HDD...obviously this did not work but I tried. I is also noteworthy that there is no .wd_tv folder in the laptop... I presume that this is due to the fact that the files are only streamed to the module...I point this out as I don't have an answer and reaching the end of my knowledge base.)

I know this is possible as I read about people doing it but the units are somewhat persnickity with this type of setup. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Addendum: The links within the post were not added by me something called viglink (sp?). I hate those things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You don't always need to use the dual USB cable on your external USB drive. Some Laptops do not provide enough power to run the external drive so they provide 2 USB plugs to get enough power. But I think the WD Live player only needs 1 USB plug, usually one of the USB wires on the dual end of the cable is thicker than the other , just use the thicker wire to connect to the WD Live and see if it works that way. Also the WD Live has 2 USB connectors so you can use both with your drive if needed.

I have never used Vista so don't know where things are set. If you can find the "security settings" for the external drive in Vista then make sure that one of the listed users of the drive is "everyone". If it is not there, then try to add a new user for the drive and select "everyone" as the new user.

Mike T