Reading and learning about streaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I have acquired some new home entertainment equipment over the last few month and have been reading and reading and experimenting with streaming. But still kind of confused. I have a Samsung 63" plasma TV, Pioneer SC-1222 receiver, and a new Samsung blue ray player. All of the equipment are hardwired to a Netgear 4 port switch, from there it is hardwired to my Netgear router. My desktop is hardwired to the same router. I am trying to get away from burning dvds. I would like to be able to stream the movies directly from my desktop into either the TV, DVD or the Pioneer receiver.

I have had some success in streaming some MKV movies using the Allshare software from Samsung. But sometime, some of the MKV files are not readable by the TV. At the same time, i have alot of movies that are ISO files. What do i need to do to the ISO files in order to stream and have the TV read them? I had tried Windows Media Player and find it too complicated to use. I don't want to buy another piece of equipment just for streaming the movies.

Please help me or point me to the right direction. thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Rip your movies to MKV or M2TS files, and get a media player such as Dune, Mede8er or PCH. Or built or use your current PC as a HTPC.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Old 09-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Is there a Plex client for your TV or Blu-ray Player? You could setup a Plex Media Server on your main PC and stream to the Plex client installed on the Samsung device. Plex has decent Samsung support. It'd probably be the best solution without any additional purchases.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
Old 09-03-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I would suggest you go with a decent media streamer like the WD unit and simply forget that the Samsung claims to be able to stream media content. Getting it to do it on a consistent basis will bring you to the point of beating your head against the wall. A refurb Wd can be had for $50 or so, new $99, much cheaper than the hours you will spend ripping and re-encoding content in hopes it will finally play. Sure Dune units are nice but the price can be a bit off putting, if it's in your budget fine but no real need to go that high end.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

I would suggest you go with a decent media streamer like the WD unit and simply forget that the Samsung claims to be able to stream media content. Getting it to do it on a consistent basis will bring you to the point of beating your head against the wall. A refurb Wd can be had for $50 or so, new $99, much cheaper than the hours you will spend ripping and re-encoding content in hopes it will finally play. Sure Dune units are nice but the price can be a bit off putting, if it's in your budget fine but no real need to go that high end.
Great advice!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
DIVX media streamer has worked well for me, streaming to 3 Samsung TV'S.

HTC One™
Old 09-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Streaming mkv'S

HTC One™
Old 09-04-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedrano1977 View Post

Streaming mkv'S

HTC One™
Thanks for all the advices. I have finally successful streamed 4 movies on my hard drive using the Samsung Allshare software. It has worked flawless. My 63" Samsung sees the folders and listed movies. MkV files played with zero issues. The ISO files are converted through another software into MKV's.

Thanks for all the helpful advices. Now I will try to stream through the Blueray player. It should be the same as TV using the Allshare software. The new Pioneer receiver might give me issues as it does not use the Allshare software.